You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

But my post contains facts. Maybe my writing dosn't make it clear.Here you go..

The vote was no. Fact.

The tory prime minister resigned. Fact.

The tory party lost its majority at the last election. Fact.

The lib dems (remember them) were smashed. Clegg resigned . Fact.

Contless tory minisiters have either resigned or been sacked in tory split over brexit. Fact.

The conservative party is split and wounded over brexit.Fact.

Jeremy Corbyn is today bookies favourite to become next prime minister. Fact.

Now imo the majority of the above events (and i could have listed more) would not have happend ïf it wasnt for the no vote. If you believe otherwise then youve taken leave of reality.

Correct.

It's worth little considering the political landscape based on a fictional Remain victory.

Brexit has shone a light on British politics, it is disheartening to many, it's illuminating to some. We have been exposed to more MPs, witnessed the frameworks of political law being tested, heightened importance on constituencies voting patterns.

Shamefully the coverage resembles entertainment, reality TV in Westminster, where the mistakes have real world consequences. Who tops the popularity poll this week? It's both thrilling and infuriating, whilst seemingly endless. We are hooked on the dopamine effect of sitting on the cliff edge. Frozen in the light, is it the end of a tunnel or oncoming traffic? Opinions, lots of opinions with truth fragmented like blockchain technology through it all.

Political will must harden as the impasse stagnates. Whether the outcome is positive or negative, Brexit has formed a significant part of the political landscape.

Mary Lou McDonald said to Owen Jones this weekend, she doesn't have a scorched earth policy and doesn't take the view 'the ends justifies the means'. This is in reference to Brexit facilitating a united Ireland. I consider a similar view of Corbyn becoming PM. However Corbyn being PM shouldn't be seen as an end. Rather a massively delayed start, to an anticipated positive quantifiable change for society.

2 minutes ago, ElishaScottBC said:

Correct.

It's worth little considering the political landscape based on a fictional Remain victory.

Brexit has shone a light on British politics, it is disheartening to many, it's illuminating to some. We have been exposed to more MPs, witnessed the frameworks of political law being tested, heightened importance on constituencies voting patterns.

Shamefully the coverage resembles entertainment, reality TV in Westminster, where the mistakes have real world consequences. Who tops the popularity poll this week? It's both thrilling and infuriating, whilst seemingly endless. We are hooked on the dopamine effect of sitting on the cliff edge. Frozen in the light, is it the end of a tunnel or oncoming traffic? Opinions, lots of opinions with truth fragmented like blockchain technology through it all.

Political will must harden as the impasse stagnates. Whether the outcome is positive or negative, Brexit has formed a significant part of the political landscape.

Mary Lou McDonald said to Owen Jones this weekend, she doesn't have a scorched earth policy and doesn't take the view 'the ends justifies the means'. This is in reference to Brexit facilitating a united Ireland. I consider a similar view of Corbyn becoming PM. However Corbyn being PM shouldn't be seen as an end. Rather a massively delayed start, to an anticipated positive quantifiable change for society.

Yes agreed. Whatever youre view on brexit the result has given british politics a huge shake up. Its also bought with it both opportunity and dangers. The outcome rests with us. 

Fuck the EU!

While I'd maybe prefer to remain for the time being to stop this bunch of right-wing and racist idiots from feeling even more justified with their garbage, I do have two problems in mind at the moment (along with the dozens connected to the operating of the EU of course) :

1) When we voted to leave, I remember one or more of the people in power at the EU saying something like they're going to have to have a look at themselves after the result and make some changes (maybe I imagined it or remember wrongly?) Have the EU changed a single significant thing to make anyone more assured that things have improved since we left? If not it's not exactly showing that they give a fuck is it, or maybe they think the same old same old is good enough and fuck the leave voters. Or just fuck the plebs in general. What do a few million plebs matter when we control the entire EU?

2) I've gradually started seeing how bad this is and have even changed my views on us leaving as well I think, because things are taking a sharp turn to the right lately and us leaving could make it worse. Or maybe us remaining will just make them more angry and annoying too. But does this mean we should always stay in the EU in fear of what the bunch of selfish racists in the leave section will do? Because if so that means those same selfish racists are controlling us. Even if the EU turned into a clear nightmare we'd just have to suffer so that the racists and the right-wingers don't feel empowered?

Shorter version :

1) The EU should make changes seeing as one of the biggest countries in it voted to leave, they should accept they've fucked up and do something to improve it.

2) If we can't leave because of fear of racists, then that means those very same racists are controlling us because of that. Their "taking back control" could be classed as reverse psychology that actually makes us remain! If the EU goes to shit, we're trapped in there because of the fear of them. That's obviously not good.

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Someone has put a European flag on the offices of our MP.  As a member of the ERG I don’t think he’ll find it funny.  

Your mp is a member of the erg? Lmfao. The fuss you made about voting for him. You absolute spacker 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As tony benn used to say Why why why do people still do personalty politics?

There are and always will be absoulte tossers for both side of the coin. Utter cunts on both sides who see no further than their own squalid little nest.

Editt. The above paragraph was me not mr ben.

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

On the above theme music. Mr Benn closey followed by this 

Not sure what its got to do with brexit but im blaming our funny sandle wearing friend from windmill land for bringing up mr Benn.

I don't have the feet for sandals. Usually desert boots. Today monkey boots. 

The lies wouldn't be so worrying if the vote had been, say, 80/20; we could reassure ourselves with the idea that the lies probably didn't fool enough people to swing the vote.

On a 51.9/48.1 split, you would really have to stubbornly tell yourself that the lies about the NHS, about immigrants, about Turkey, about sovereignty, etc. etc. had no effect whatsoever; and that's just not plausible.

The lies and corruption swung the vote.

• Upvote 1