You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

59 minutes ago, Boss said:

Any Jewishness is hereditary. He clearly wasn't a practising Jew. He wrote a paper on the Jews that conformed to all the racial stereotypes of the day. Judging by modern standards it'd be seen as anti semitic, back then probably not.

You could see how weird it looked though seeing you call a Jew an anti-semite surely?

Bakunin was a prophet, he knew about Brexit :

No, the spirit of revolution is not subdued, it has only sunk into itself in order soon to reveal itself again as an affirmative, creative principle, and right now it is burrowing – if I may avail myself of this expression of Hegel’s – like a mole under the earth. Nevertheless, visible manifestations are stirring around us, hinting that the spirit, that old mole, has brought its underground work to completion and that it will soon come again to pass judgment.

Mark Francois innit.

5 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think that political pressure exists or can exist. We've got here because when the Tories decided to have their confidence vote in May, they out her in a position that allows her to do whatever the fuck she wants for 12 months. She doesn't care what anyone does or says, she just wants to stick with her plan at all costs - what pressure could stop her just doing that? 

Millions of people have already been mobilised, to some degree or other, to campaign for a new referendum, to revoke Article 50 or even to leave with No Deal. I don't think it's likely that those people are going to be happy to fart-arse around for 6 months.

So, we can write to our MPs, sign petitions, phone in to the radio, take to the streets, pass motions in our constituency parties ... do all the things that people do when they want to be heard, to let the Government know that sitting on their hands is not acceptable. 

As for Theresa May's position, she can't face another vote of no confidence in her leadership of the Tory Party for another 12 months; a vote of no confidence in the Government can happen at any time. Political pressure might just persuade enough Tory MPs that, for the good of the country, this Government needs to change or be changed.

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Any Jewishness is hereditary. He clearly wasn't a practising Jew. He wrote a paper on the Jews that conformed to all the racial stereotypes of the day. Judging by modern standards it'd be seen as anti semitic, back then probably not.

Well, he was a lefty, so by modern standards he would automatically be counted as an anti-Semite. 

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

It was supposed to sound wrong, just like I think it is when Marx is used in the same way. It's not that these writers/philosophers are actually wanting these things, but that their works can be applied wrongly or bits selected by idiots, clowns, psychos, etc. I remember reading Jung years back and if I remember rightly he saw Nietzsche's superman concepts in the Nazis, and that was actually used by them to an extent as well from what I can see.

The point isn't that Nietzsche supported nationalism or fascism, Zionism, crony capitalism or psychopaths, but that some of those groups have misused his works, selected parts and gone with them. In the same way that idiots, clowns, psychos have selected parts of Marx and pretended that they were just applying his stuff as well.

It goes back to what I was saying about people, groups and parties often being fucking stupid as more of the cause than the writers we're talking about.

Just having a quick look here can point out issues (and yes I know plenty of things could be linked for Marx) :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/nietzsche-ideas-superman-slavery-nihilism-adolf-hitler-nazi-racism-white-supremacy-fascism-a8138396.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influence_and_reception_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Übermensch#Nazism

For those that have read Nietzsche and like his works, looking at that must seem outrageous and I apologize for that. You don't need to convince me that that isn't what he was really about and the intent here isn't to offend. I'm sure I'd like some of his writing too and might read some one day. The writer of one of my favourite recent books on UFO's avoided Nietzsche because she knew of some of his ideas that she was completely against, but one day ended up reading one of his books and became a big fan too.

The point is that idiots can select parts of the writings of people and do completely fucking stupid things. So the whole Marx/Nietzsche/Bakunin/whoever argument is really missing the point a lot of the time.

Fair enough RP, the ironic intent was lost in text, plus you do have a bit of previous for talking bollocks. I’ll apologise for this one however.

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Even part of what I actually linked shows how stupid it is (anarchism section of the Übermensch

wiki page) :

Rather than Wikipedia, try project Gutenberg and reading the actual texts rather than other people’s précis, you may get a bit more from it.

communist manifesto will take you a couple of hours to knock over.

twilight if the idols something similar.

fix yourself, then you will better be able to help others.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52263

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Rather than Wikipedia, try project Gutenberg and reading the actual texts rather than other people’s précis, you may get a bit more from it.

Terrorists apparently 

https://boingboing.net/2019/04/11/one-hour-service.html

3 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

That's not anarchism, ain't got time for that.

Joking, think I started on the Communist Manifesto a while back, might have even read it but can't remember. Thanks though, will go through it soon hopefully. The Nietzsche one looks harder to get through but will maybe give that a go too in the near future and will bookmark.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Millions of people have already been mobilised, to some degree or other, to campaign for a new referendum, to revoke Article 50 or even to leave with No Deal. I don't think it's likely that those people are going to be happy to fart-arse around for 6 months.

So, we can write to our MPs, sign petitions, phone in to the radio, take to the streets, pass motions in our constituency parties ... do all the things that people do when they want to be heard, to let the Government know that sitting on their hands is not acceptable. 

As for Theresa May's position, she can't face another vote of no confidence in her leadership of the Tory Party for another 12 months; a vote of no confidence in the Government can happen at any time. Political pressure might just persuade enough Tory MPs that, for the good of the country, this Government needs to change or be changed.

I think you are over estimating the power of the masses in this country. The Tories don't give a shit. The only way they'll back a vote of no confidence in their own government is if they think they can get a new leader, blame all this shit on May and win comfortably. Otherwise their fear of a Corbyn government will ensure they'll sit tight.

We've just watched May drag his out from November till now and she only had a 2 weeks Christmas recess to help her along. They'll do a little scramble when they get back from Easter in an attempt to avoid the European elections and then we'll return to can kicking. Then summer recess and when they're back from that we'll be into the last 2 months. Frankly the only way this can stop is if the queen steps in and says it's clear her government is unable to govern. But that's not going to happen. 

• Upvote 1