You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

The petition is to revoke Article 50, not for a people’s vote. 

He is also offering to back Mays deal if there is a referendum to follow which isn’t policy at present and has a tinge of TIG about it like most things Watson.

He is also seemingly forgetting that he was one of the few mps to push Cameron into having the referendum in the first place.

He is a duplicitous twat 

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He is also offering to back Mays deal if there is a referendum to follow which isn’t policy at present and has a tinge of TIG about it like most things Watson.

He is also seemingly forgetting that he was one of the few mps to push Cameron into having the referendum in the first place.

He is a duplicitous twat 

And Corbyn whipped for A50 to be invoked without a plan. This top trumps of who's a cunt in this whole debacle is embarrassing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Watson knows remain will win if there’s a referendum about Staying V May’s deal. If they back it with the condition of putting it to a democratic vote, I’d support that. To me, it’s all the same thing. Stay. 

And fuck anybody who says more democracy and more choice is less democratic. 

• Upvote 1

I still think the EU fucking sucks but at this point if the people that want to remain far outnumber leavers in another vote then I don't really have problems with us staying. What I don't like though is that a referendum was eventually ignored, democracy failed the leavers (even though plenty of them will be cunts, I'm sure there's plenty of cunts that want to remain as well) and once again the EU has had another vote run that's gone their way.

This is what I think should happen to be fairer for democracy, or something similar : The country (and every other EU country) has a referendum every 10 years on the EU. While we're in the EU, trade deals are negotiated and sorted out with countries/groups of countries around the world that can be enacted instantly should we vote to leave in one of those referendums, then we can just exit quickly and without all the drama. Same way if we're out and vote back in : we have agreements set up with the EU so that we move back in with them as soon as the vote has passed with minimal fuss.

We get to vote our government every election and the EU shouldn't differ much from that I don't think. This idea that a referendum on it should be a once in a lifetime thing or something similar is fucked up really and anti-democratic in a big way.

Absolutely. There should also be a schedule making sure there is always a referendum being held in one of member states and that somebody is always leaving or re-entering and the trade deals are constantly revised and amended, so the lobby industry can maximize its efficiency and impact.

32 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Absolutely. There should also be a schedule making sure there is always a referendum being held in one of member states and that somebody is always leaving or re-entering and the trade deals are constantly revised and amended, so the lobby industry can maximize its efficiency and impact.

Well I think people and democracy are more important than trade deals obviously. The issue there is that they're allowed to lobby in the way they are doing in the first place. The EU itself has a nightmare with it too. Laws should be passed to cut out or at least massively reduce their influence.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I also think Corbyn rushed in too quickly re A50 , but he would have got mullered if he had given any indication that he was trying to overturn or suggest a lengthy delay immediately after the referendum result.

He didn't have to whip labour to support the bill and it would have passed regardless of if labour voted either way or abstained. 

10 minutes ago, moof said:

Isn’t it a bit silly to hold that against him, then?

He can't keep moaning about the shit were in when he whipped to put us here. The cliff edge we have now, he was complicit in. He would have some type of moral high ground I'd he hadn't but was scared of losing a few votes of racists in northern towns by not being seen as Brexit man. He's barely changed since. 

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He can't keep moaning about the shit were in when he whipped to put us here. The cliff edge we have now, he was complicit in. He would have some type of moral high ground I'd he hadn't but was scared of losing a few votes of racists in northern towns by not being seen as Brexit man. He's barely changed since. 

Isn’t it something like 60 odd percent, or more, of labour constituencies that voted to leave? “A few votes of racists in northern towns” fucking hell, come on mate. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Isn’t it something like 60 odd percent, or more, of labour constituencies that voted to leave? “A few votes of racists in northern towns” fucking hell, come on mate. 

I dunno 60 percent. But it wasn't the cities. They barely get another seat outside of the cities and northern towns. Corbyn was and still is running scared of losing votes to ukip.  

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I dunno 60 percent. But it wasn't the cities. They barely get another seat outside of the cities and northern towns. Corbyn was and still is running scared of losing votes to ukip.  

Considering he got over 40% of the vote in the election that was held after article 50 was activated I’d say he made a calculated decision that worked out reasonably well. But sure, he’s ‘running scared’ 

Moof is right. But Labour's position has evolved over time and is not rigid. Democracy isn't a click your fingers process and isn't always pretty especially when you are in the midst of a 30 year Tory civil war over Europe. I don't see why Labour has to take the hit especially as Austerity and regional inequality was a driver behind Brexit votes in a lot of places. 

These estimates show that while the national result of the referendum was relatively close, with 52% voting Leave and 48% voting Remain, a much larger majority of parliamentary seats voted to Leave – with 64% of seats in Great Britain voting Leave. (This is likely due to the uneven distribution of Remain voters, who tended to cluster in large cities, while Leave voters were more evenly spread.)

According to these estimates, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave. All seats won by the Scottish National Party and the Green Party, and a majority of the seats won by the Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru, voted to Remain.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/