You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

No third vote this week unless May manages to find a bribe acceptable to the DUP. Sorry, I mean obtains their support in the vote.

Her contingency plan to take the UK out of the backstop but leave NI in it to prevent a hard border will scupper that I reckon.

Also, heard somewhere that the DUP wanted to be given control of Stormont in return for their support. Can you imagine the murder that will cause?!

50 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Her contingency plan to take the UK out of the backstop but leave NI in it to prevent a hard border will scupper that I reckon.

Also, heard somewhere that the DUP wanted to be given control of Stormont in return for their support. Can you imagine the murder that will cause?!

And in this instance, we're talking about the literal sense of that word.

Wasn't May a remainer. It's idyllic but I can't help but feel that in her position she'd gain far more respect if she was just honest. Got up and said brexit is incredibley damning and destructive to our economy, it's a big mistake to leave and in all good consciousness I can't lead the country in a direction I know to be harmful and then resign as she straps herself onto a rocket, lights the fuse and fucks off over the horizon too nervous applause and a muted state of shock.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

They will have lawyers spinning another motion with essentially the same outcome worded in a different manor.

But then you get into how Bercow is operationalising/interpreting “substantially” in this instance. Is it in the wording or the effect of the motion?

If the former, certainly a pointless bit of procedure they won’t bat an eyelid at.

If the latter, with the EU having said there’s nothing more they’ll  offer, a significantly trickier obstacle for the Maybot.

I’ve no doubt at all they’d cheerfully exploit any loophole and contort themselves into any shape required to get this through, in terms of their intentions. I’ve no idea as to which of the above applies or whether it’s subjective, in terms of whether they’ll be allowed to get away with it.

Does anyone else?

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

But then you get into how Bercow is operationalising/interpreting “substantially” in this instance. Is it in the wording or the effect of the motion?

If the former, certainly a pointless bit of procedure they won’t bat an eyelid at.

If the latter, with the EU having said there’s nothing more they’ll  offer, a significantly trickier obstacle for the Maybot.

I’ve no doubt at all they’d cheerfully exploit any loophole and contort themselves into any shape required to get this through, in terms of their intentions. I’ve no idea as to which of the above applies or whether it’s subjective, in terms of whether they’ll be allowed to get away with it.

Does anyone else?

He has clarified saying a change of opinion or legal interpretation of the deal will not satisfy him. It needs fundamental change in terms.

Well, there’s certainly a rich irony in the public not being afforded a second vote now what is actually on offer has become clear, but the government feeling they should be able to keep bringing their turd of a deal back to the house as many times as it takes to get the answer they want.

• Upvote 3

Apparently the way round this for May is to bring a motion starting a new session but that would have to pass the house? However even if she managed to get that past once she'd only be able to bring her deal back once before being back to square one. It's unlikely that parliament would keep voting for a new session just so May can keep bringing her deal back. Crikey!