You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, TK421 said:

My understanding is that if an extension is not granted we would leave at the end of this month with no deal.  Paragraph 3 of Article 50 reads:-

3.   The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

Yes, but you fail to recognise a chip barm, so your words are basically fucking worthless. Whereas I no longer have any say in the matter, of Europe, so the argument is you’re a cunt, which I think we can all agree. Citing the chip barm example.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Also if this vote passes tonight and we cannot leave with no deal all the EU need to do is refuse an extension to Art 50 and the only alternative is to revoke it and remain.

The vote tonight is not legally binding. We would have to vote to revoke it or crash out whether we vote not to crash out or not.

Just now, Hank Moody said:

Rrrright.

It is parliaments responsibility to to enact the will of the people it represents. The unwritten nature of the constitution is built upon this principle. Failure to do so would shatter that principle and result in real crisis. If we are not there already.

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How likely is remaining looking now fellas? You lot know more than me about this shit. 

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of May's deal sadly. I think after we vote against leaving tonight she will go back to Europe for some more letters. She'll then have a 3rd vote on 'her deal or revoke article 50' (especially if they refuse an extension) and on that she probably won't care which way the vote goes.

1 minute ago, Anny Road said:

It is parliaments responsibility to to enact the will of the people it represents. 

I think Parliament is about a bit more than that.

If Parliament is about enacting the will of the people, then we may as well do away with it and replace it with Pew surveys.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think Parliament is about a bit more than that.

If Parliament is about enacting the will of the people, then we may as well do away with it and replace it with Pew surveys.

Whose opinions are parliament to serve if not the people’s. 

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

Even if you voted remain I could see you voting leave simply as a vote supporting the democratic process and the original result. No many like.

I suspect any Remain voters switching to Leave would more likely be Brenda from Bristol types (or whatever that cunt's name was). The notion that punching yourself in the face will somehow give the ruling classes a much deserved nosebleed is no less prevalent than it was in 2016.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

It is parliaments responsibility to to enact the will of the people it represents. The unwritten nature of the constitution is built upon this principle. Failure to do so would shatter that principle and result in real crisis. If we are not there already.

This is all wrong. Parliament holds the government to account. MPs aren't delegates. There is a constitution but it's not a single document, it's all over the shop.

14 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Whose opinions are parliament to serve if not the people’s. 

I think government is there to make people's lives better. That will not always mean doing precisely what the public says it wants.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

I think government is there to make people's lives better. That will not always mean doing precisely what the public says it wants.

Never mentioned the government. Just Parliament. Parliament holds the Government to account on our behalf.

28 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

I know what the responsibility of parliament is, and I also know what a non-binding referendum is. Constitutional it ain't.

21 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Jezza has had week after week after week at PMQ's and not once has he asked if the gov has released all of its UFO files. Never mind this Brexit nonsense, we need to start getting our priorities sorted out on the left.

Don't forget everything we know about Nessy. Don't think we've forgotten about that one.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

In an ideal world that's exactly what they are supposed to do. They are also our elected representatives that are supposed to represent us, not themselves. 

Unfortunately government is now there to ensure politicians lives are better, if that somehow accidentally means other people's lives are better, ok.