You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

There has been a lot of scenario charts on the news. The ‘what happens if they vote’ type things. I haven’t seen one where it says MP vote down May’s deal, vote to reject No-Deal, vote for an extension, but then the extension not be granted. If it isn’t granted, having ruled out no deal, we then surely must either stay or have another referendum? 

7 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

There has been a lot of scenario charts on the news. The ‘what happens if they vote’ type things. I haven’t seen one where it says MP vote down May’s deal, vote to reject No-Deal, vote for an extension, but then the extension not be granted. If it isn’t granted, having ruled out no deal, we then surely must either stay or have another referendum? 

My understanding is that if an extension is not granted we would leave at the end of this month with no deal.  Paragraph 3 of Article 50 reads:-

3.   The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

That tariff stuff is fucking insane. How do they think the EU will react to that? 

Any business in the EU could now set up an office in the UK, import ships full of Chinese toys*  at zero rates and then ship them onto to mainland Europe at whatever the agreed rate is. Logically that rate has to be so severe it stops this scenario at sourve which in turn cripples British exports.

* I haven't looked at the specific tariffs, just using that as an example.

My thoughts are that parliament will have to override May's red lines if she wont. She has two of the four biggest parliamentary defeats on her deal ever recorded. It's understandable that the EU would reject if it was an extension for May to keep resubmitting her deal. But if there was a change in negotiating position from the UK they would be far more receptive. 

19 minutes ago, TK421 said:

My understanding is that if an extension is not granted we would leave at the end of this month with no deal.  Paragraph 3 of Article 50 reads:-

3.   The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

But if parliament votes to reject no deal, and there’s no extension, we would have to withdraw article 50? 

I genuinelu dont kniw the answer to that. Maybe @Strontium Dog knows?

1 minute ago, Hank Moody said:

But if parliament votes to reject no deal, and there’s no extension, we would have to withdraw article 50? 

I genuinelu dont kniw the answer to that. Maybe @Strontium Dog knows?

If nothing changes, we are leaving the EU without a deal on March 29th. That is the default position as it stands.

We can unilaterally withdraw Article 50, but an extension must be approved by the EU.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

If nothing changes, we are leaving the EU without a deal on March 29th. That is the default position as it stands.

We can unilaterally withdraw Article 50, but an extension must be approved by the EU.

SD is right. It’s in law. It requires statutory change to not leave.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Do you need parliament to vote through a withdrawal of article 50 or can May just do It?

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

Do you need parliament to vote through a withdrawal of article 50 or can May just do It?

Needs to be done in line with our parliamentary procedures, that was the judgement from that court case. There's no need for a referendum, especially since the Gina Miller case said that it's an advisory instrument only.

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I know this, but what I’m saying is if parliament vote to reject a no deal, that takes the no deal off the table so if an extension isn’t granted, we have no choice but to withdraw Article 50. Is that how you see it?

As a leave voter I have to say this is a fucking con.

Ask me again do I wish to leave the EU I would say yes. Ask me do I want carnage I say no. Charges should be brought against the lying twats that orchestrated this. Treason.

If the country had no fucking idea how it was going to negotiate this the question should never have been asked.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

As a leave voter I have to say this is a fucking con.

Ask me again do I wish to leave the EU I would say yes. Ask me do I want carnage I say no. Charges should be brought against the lying twats that orchestrated this. Treason.

If the country had no fucking idea how it was going to negotiate this the question should never have been asked.

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

I voted Leave, and I would again, but the kind of Leave Labour are talking about, not No Deal, and not Theresa's thang.

The problems started with a binary vote about something so complicated. It then was compounded by triggering Article 50 without a fucking clue what we were doing. It was then further compounded by this useless Prime Minister doing nothing for the best part of two years. She then kicked the can down the road while making absolutely no headway at all.

It's a complete clusterfuck!

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I voted Leave, and I would again, but the kind of Leave Labour are talking about, not No Deal, and not Theresa's thang.

The problems started with a binary vote about something so complicated. It then was compounded by triggering Article 50 without a fucking clue what we were doing. It was then further compounded by this useless Prime Minister doing nothing for the best part of two years. She then kicked the can down the road while making absolutely no headway at all.

It's a complete clusterfuck!

Here here. I don’t even mind if it costs us more to remain outside the political spectrum with access to the market. Just let them get on with it and let’s continue trading as friends.