You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

EU citizens in the UK  - people with jobs, families, lives here - are having to pay to request permission to stay from today. They then have to hope that some future government isn't incompetent and/or xenophobic enough to remove that permission, either through neglect (think Windrush) or by design. 

It's an arbitrary and cruel attack on the lives and wellbeing of a couple of million working people, which 51.9% of the electorate in 2016 voted for. (Obviously, the very people with most at stake were barred from voting in the Referendum. )

Any response to this, Gnash? With your vote you helped to throw a couple of million working people's lives into disarray. How do you - good, staunch lefty that you are - explain to them that it's for the greater good?

I watched that shambles this afternoon. It is really quite astonishing where we are and an awful reflection of our democracy that we can just continue to go round in circles on something that the prime minister knew was doomed when she pulled the 1st vote last month. They all (on both sides) keep chunnering away like they have since last month, making all the same points, almost happy that the talk continues and the resolution is as far away as ever "what about me, do you remember me and what I think" . I am starting to think they actually have a solution, they're all sitting on it and just want to look great when they pull it out of the bag at the last minute. Surely we can't really be in the mess that was displayed in the commons today? 

• Like 1

All the noises coming from the ERG lot and the DUP tonight is that they are starting to back down and looking likely to back May’s withdrawal deal. It will be interesting to see what the Tory remainers who voted against her deal last time do when she puts it to a vote again. I have a feeling that almost all of them will tow the party line and vote with the government, and with a couple of votes from some Labour turncoats we will end up with a version of May’s deal.

7 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

All the noises coming from the ERG lot and the DUP tonight is that they are starting to back down and looking likely to back May’s withdrawal deal. It will be interesting to see what the Tory remainers who voted against her deal last time do when she puts it to a vote again. I have a feeling that almost all of them will tow the party line and vote with the government, and with a couple of votes from some Labour turncoats we will end up with a version of May’s deal.

Mogg has started to slowly row back the last couple of days on No Deal because he along with most of ERG have likely realised that Art.24 of GATT doesn't apply to a no deal scenario but might do under a signed withdrawal agreement. 

Screenshot_20190122-063621.png

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Mogg has started to slowly row back the last couple of days on No Deal because he along with most of ERG have likely realised that Art.24 of GATT doesn't apply to a no deal scenario but might do under a signed withdrawal agreement. 

Screenshot_20190122-063621.png

Had to laugh at Nadine Dorries calling those MPs who don 't want to throw thousands of people out of work, and cause massive disruption to everyone else, kamikaze.

They've definitely seen the way the wind is blowing and can see that they're in danger of losing their prize. Blair has apparently been meeting European heads of state and telling them to hold firm as a second referendum is on the way. I can imagine this is concentrating minds with the ERG headbangers. 

We have to remember though, that this is only the withdrawal agreement, and if May gets this through the ERG will still look to cause mayhem when it comes to an actual trade deal.

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Too late. He mis-times everything.

Backing another referendum is the worst thing he could do. He's divide his support. He can't just represent the 48% (which granted, might now be more like 55%).

Anyway, back to the woman with the power... what the fuck is her plan? She's refusing to rule out Hard Brexit because if she does it splits her party, but she isn't going to go with Hard Brexit, and her Brexit won't get approved, so by my calculations, she's up Shit Creek without a paddle. What the fuck is shew going to do? You can only kick the can down the road so far... she's quickly running out of road.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Backing another referendum is the worst thing he could do. He's divide his support. He can't just represent the 48% (which granted, might now be more like 55%).

Anyway, back to the woman with the power... what the fuck is her plan? She's refusing to rule out Hard Brexit because if she does it splits her party, but she isn't going to go with Hard Brexit, and her Brexit won't get approved, so by my calculations, she's up Shit Creek without a paddle. What the fuck is shew going to do? You can only kick the can down the road so far... she's quickly running out of road.

I daresay she is quietly hoping Parliament take the reigns and force an extension to A50.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Tory "rebels" - the people that Umunna, Berger, etc. always stand shoulder-to-shoulder with - doing what they always do when it's time to actually rebel.

20190122_114118.png

Soubry has said she wont back it unless Tory rebels get fully behind it and there arent the numbers otherwise. It will make a proper vote on the 2nd referendum harder if the happens.

She hasn't changed her views.

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

what does this mean? 

It means that if we leave without a deal then WTO tariffs will apply. Moog had wrongly assumed that we would be able to maintain zero tariffs under article 24 of GATT while we negotiated a trade agreement with the EU.

(I think)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, M_B said:

It means that if we leave without a deal then WTO tariffs will apply. Moog had wrongly assumed that we would be able to maintain zero tariffs under article 24 of GATT while we negotiated a trade agreement with the EU.

(I think)

Yep, this is what I understood of it from the various threads. Our biggest export, services would take a 5-10% hit in tariffs.

Essentially Art.24 is if we're entering into a free trade deal. We're doing the opposite. Bit of a schoolboy error from Mogg.