You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

She’s just stalling and letting it get as close to March as possible so that people shit themselves and vote for her deal. She’s not interested in making any big changes, she’s going to make some superficial tweaks and then bring it back and hope that she wins because of fear, basically.

The more I think of it, the more I think Labours stance is actually very clever and strategic. May is gambling because instead of scaring people into voting for her deal she risks the DUP or ERG turning on her and abstaining on a second confidence vote.

Thing is  though,  the MPs aren't going to be scared into doing that, the ones on her own benches who hate her current deal would rather leave with no deal at all. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Thing is  though,  the MPs aren't going to be scared into doing that, the ones on her own benches who hate her current deal would rather leave with no deal at all. 

I don’t think she’s trying to scare the ERG, there’s only 70 odd of them. Over 100 of the Tories voted against the deal so she could scare 40 or 50 of them. She’s also banking on the bellends on the Labour back benches, Lib dems and SNP to shit themselves too.

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

What is there, something like 80/90 in the ERG and 10 in DUP. She needs at least that number of Labour MPs to shit themselves. Will that happen? That's what she is gambling on.

Yep, exactly. I think she’s completely misguided which in the end will be her downfall (fucking finally, bitch reminds me of the Black Knight from The Holy Grail).

34 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yep, exactly. I think she’s completely misguided which in the end will be her downfall (fucking finally, bitch reminds me of the Black Knight from The Holy Grail).

There was a good analysis on Newsnight last night saying her strength is her weakness. i know it is well said that she is stubborn and forthright but that is not what is required of a negotiating diplomat. She is doomed. However in the same breathe the same could apply to JC.

50 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Much as I like JC he does not give a fuck about Brexit. Arguably rightly.

He wants power and the ability to implement his range of policies. Left wing nationalisation, workers empowerment etc etc.

That is fine by me but will make 70% of the country shiver.

To be fair according to Shelter there is over 300,000 people already doing that

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If Corbyn is so shite and unelectable then why are the Tories so worried about a GE? 

more importantly, why are none of the poliitcal commentators and come to that, labour MP's getting this point across to the nation? I can't understand the point of view the tories put accross on this. It's like they all believe it is enevitable Corbyn will win. If May loses a government no confidence vote, she will be fored to resign and the Tories will have a different leader who I guess would field more votes than she did last time no matter who they are. 

47 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Much as I like JC he does not give a fuck about Brexit. Arguably rightly.

He wants power and the ability to implement his range of policies. Left wing nationalisation, workers empowerment etc etc.

That is fine by me but will make 70% of the country shiver.

There was someone on newsnight saying just that. Corbyn wants to run the government, all Brexit is is a tool to help him get their. He neither cares for or against leaving the EU. I rend to agree that is probably the point. The labour leadership position has never really seemed to care about trying to stop or control what type of brexit we have. The fact we can crash out  with no deal is because everyone on both sides of the house voted for that. 

38 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think she’s trying to scare the ERG, there’s only 70 odd of them. Over 100 of the Tories voted against the deal so she could scare 40 or 50 of them. She’s also banking on the bellends on the Labour back benches, Lib dems and SNP to shit themselves too.

Yeah, I agree. She needs to flip around 110 MP's somehow. Personally I think she's hoping the labour centrists will help her out. She might be right. 

2 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

There was a good analysis on Newsnight last night saying her strength is her weakness. i know it is well said that she is stubborn and forthright but that is not what is required of a negotiating diplomat. She is doomed. However in the same breathe the same could apply to JC.

I think he's been a lot more flexible than she has. He's put certain personal views aside and included policies in the manifesto which he personally doesn't back.

Of course he has weaknesses but just compare her record to his since she became PM.

Corbyn has won two leadership elections (extremely comfortably). He's seen off coup after coup from the PLP, he's forced this government into being the first ever voted in contempt of Parliament. He's forced the government into the biggest defeat in history just a few days ago and he massively over-performed at a GE compared to predictions (when, if you believed the mass media, Labour, especially left wing Labour, was to be obliterated once and for all).

She's an absolute embarrassment from top to bottom.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I think he's been a lot more flexible than she has. He's put certain personal views aside and included policies in the manifesto which he personally doesn't back.

Of course he has weaknesses but just compare her record to his since she became PM.

Corbyn has won two leadership elections (extremely comfortably). He's seen off coup after coup from the PLP, he's forced this government into being the first ever voted in contempt of Parliament. He's forced the government into the biggest defeat in history just a few days ago and he massively over-performed at a GE compared to predictions (when, if you believed the mass media, Labour, especially left wing Labour, was to be obliterated once and for all).

I agree mate without question. It is not the like of me that you have to convince it is the numpty in XXX shopping center who will say that 'He wants immigrants and those others to have a council house over my daughter who has 10 kids to 10 different fellas but was born here and is entitled because she is alive .

18 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I'm convinced this is exactly what she's doing. Only she's sitting on 6 high while the EU have got a full house.

I've often seen these people, these squares at the table, short stack and long odds against them. All their outs gone. One last card in the deck that can help them. I used to wonder how they could let themselves get into such bad shape, and how the hell they thought they could turn it around.

It's actually happening. May has said she wants cross-party talks, but everybody involved so far states that she's shown a deluded unwilligness to move an inch from a deal that lost by over 200 votes in Parliament, yet Twitter Tories and the right leaning press are actually blaming Corbyn for the impasse that we've reached. And loads of people are actually lapping it up. 

This country is officially full of gullible, unintelligent sheep, largely incapable of exhibiting any sort of critical thinking. We're fucked. Absolutely fucked. I have close to zero confidence that a second referendum would produce a different result to the first one. 

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I thing JC is a principled and fine man. Unfortunately he is not a leader.

I want him to win because he is better than the Tories but he does not have the skills needed.

In so much as we all argue a leader needs to unite a large proportion of the country to move forward.

I'm not going to mention Blair and Thatcher but they did it. JC wil never do that.

I would vote for him all day but if you asked me as a Labour worker political analyzing our future political future it would be to get rid of him. Now is not the time to change but for fucks sake if you cannot bin these arseholes now how much better is it going to get.

Stand up and be a leader JC and I will be with you.

1 minute ago, Anny Road said:

I thing JC is a principled and fine man. Unfortunately he is not a leader.

I want him to win because he is better than the Tories but he does not have the skills needed.

In so much as we all argue a leader needs to unite a large proportion of the country to move forward.

I'm not going to mention Blair and Thatcher but they did it. JC wil never do that.

I would vote for him all day but if you asked me as a Labour worker political analyzing our future political future it would be to get rid of him. Now is not the time to change but for fucks sake if you cannot bin these arseholes now how much better is it going to get.

Stand up and be a leader JC and I will be with you.

Genuine question - what should he be doing to show that he is a leader?

At the risk of being accused of invoking Godwin, she is behaving like Hitler in the bunker, convinced that if she holds out long enough something will come to her rescue. Hitler expected the Allies to fall out with each other, just as Frederick the Great was saved from certain defeat when the Empress of Russia died and the new Emperor turned out to be an admirer of Frederick. And lo! when Roosevelt died, Hitler thought salvation had come. It hadn't, but it wasn't an entirely unreasonable hope given it was such a fragile alliance. Who she is expecting to fall off the stage to deliver her from her enemies, I don't know. Jeremy Corbyn?

None has mentioned it but why the fuck is an repeated referendum called a peoples vote.

Who voted last time?

Was it fucking alliens? Not people.

I will support a peoples vote which I have no doubt remain will win. Do they realise that we then have to engage in what will basically be a civil war.