You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Red Shift said:

As an outsider, who knows sweet fuck all of the nuances of Brexit, I’ll keep it simple.

The referendum was binding. What are the legal ramifications of not supporting a binding referendum?  Surely the British Parliament had a duty to vote yes on the current Brexit with deal, because the EU already stated that this was the best deal on offer and certainly its a far more acceptable deal than a ‘no deal hard Brexit’ to all the leavers who voted?

Parliament just shat on the voting public and their binding referendum. Does Parliament get to do that?

It is advisory, not binding.

The Governement and the British people have shat on each other.

21 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm thinking of using the current £10 notes. Being plastic they're washable right?

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Cool, I'll spend a tenner on a thousand tenners, then.

Get with the times grandads, it's all chip and pin these days.

Just use the card to scrape it off, then give it a quick rinse and it's ready for next time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chevettehs said:

Get with the times grandads, just use your chip and pin card to scrape it off, then give it a quick rinse and it's ready for next time.

Chip & PIN?

Mr 2010 over here.

Having said that, 'contactless' arse wiping possibly isn't the best idea.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Chip & PIN?

Mr 2010 over here.

Having said that, 'contactless' arse wiping possibly isn't the best idea.

I bow down to your superior knowledge on the matter as the forums accredited expert on what can and can't be shoved up one's arse. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Cool, I'll spend a tenner on a thousand tenners, then.

Big Shaq, the new Chancellor of the Exchequer, has that plan for the economy. It’s called ‘the quick maffs doctrine’. Very creative. Although I don’t like his ‘Nan’s not hot’ heating policy for the elderly.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

As an outsider, who knows sweet fuck all of the nuances of Brexit, I’ll keep it simple.

The referendum was binding. What are the legal ramifications of not supporting a binding referendum?  Surely the British Parliament had a duty to vote yes on the current Brexit with deal, because the EU already stated that this was the best deal on offer and certainly its a far more acceptable deal than a ‘no deal hard Brexit’ to all the leavers who voted?

Parliament just shat on the voting public and their binding referendum. Does Parliament get to do that?

As others have pointed out, the referendum was not binding. However, parliament has already honoured this result and passed law that as things stand right now, we leave the EU on 29th March with or without an agreement. This is why it's a fucking mess. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

And what? Just because people to the right doesn't mean they're stupid enough to think no deal is good. Capitalists in general like deals. The DUP don't support no deal. As I said, aside from a few mad tories like mogg, nobody does and there's clearly no will of Parliament to have no deal, so it's a pointless stance for any party trying to negotiate a position  on behalf of their constitutents. 

The DUP are not capitalists. They're feudalists. They don't want no deal, but if the alternative to no deal is not getting everything they want, they'll take no deal. As for the 'compromises' they made in the past, as lifey pointed out they were given no choice in the matter. It has always been thus with Ulster Unionism. They are completely at the mercy of Westminster, but rarely does Westminster ever call their bluff. Harold Wilson once labelled them 'spongers off Westminster and British democracy' - then did fuck all to put manners on them. Perversely the only ones able to do that are the Tories, as Labour have traditionally feared being labelled as 'soft on terrorism'. It was Edward Heath who prorogued Stormont and it was John Major who kicked off the peace process that culminated in the Good Friday Agreement. Theresa May could have told the DUP at the start of all this that the tail was not going to wag the dog, that any action they took to resist would have just led to Jeremy Corbyn in Number 10. Instead everything she did was with them in mind, and it still didn't sate them. There's no chance of her changing course now.

• Upvote 1

Here's something I've been thinking about today. It seems unlikely labour can win a no confidence vote, they probably need 6 people to move across the isle or a dozen abstentions (or a combo of the 2) . However, the tory party are saddled with May till December because of their failed coup before Xmas. If a no confidence vote is lost, I believe the government has 14 days to win another vote. Would it be possible those slippery twats headed by mogg would abstain, allow the tories to lose tonight in order to get May to resign. Then complete their failed coup from before Xmas and get one of their right wing lunatics in charge in time for the next confidence vote? 

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few talking heads on the telly pushing a "Parliament vs the People" narrative.  That's a dangerous lie.

"The People" did not vote for this.  Thirty months ago, about half of the electorate voted to leave the EU  (and about half voted to remain). Literally nobody voted for May's deal.

All that has happened is that Parliament has held the Government to account  - and that's exactly what should happen in a democracy. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Here's something I've been thinking about today. It seems unlikely labour can win a no confidence vote, they probably need 6 people to move across the isle or a dozen abstentions (or a combo of the 2) . However, the tory party are saddled with May till December because of their failed coup before Xmas. If a no confidence vote is lost, I believe the government has 14 days to win another vote. Would it be possible those slippery twats headed by mogg would abstain, allow the tories to lose tonight in order to get May to resign. Then complete their failed coup from before Xmas and get one of their right wing lunatics in charge in time for the next confidence vote? 

I  wouldn't put anything past the murky bastards.

Barnier: "Unanimously the European Council have always said that if the UK chooses to shift its red lines in the future ... and to go beyond a simple free trade agreement, then the EU will be immediately ready to … give a favourable response 
16th Jan 2019

Over 70 Labour MPs now out and supporting a 2nd ref!   

If we get an election and i vote vote for Corbyn if he promises it, what exactly happens first?  Do I need to get some cords and befriend someone in the IRA or just stop watching Countdown?  

Edited by rico1304
Fat fingers
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Neville Chamberlain resigned after winning the Norway debate by 81 votes. Theresa May has lost by 230 votes yet is blithely drifting along as if nothing has changed (to coin a phrase). Where the fuck are all the experts in constitutional precedents now? 

What's just as interesting is this idea she has cross party talks but keeps her red lines which have been the crux of the problem all along. Nothing changes if those redlines don't change. I struggle to see how she even maintains the support of her cabinet. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

The DUP are not capitalists. They're feudalists. They don't want no deal, but if the alternative to no deal is not getting everything they want, they'll take no deal. As for the 'compromises' they made in the past, as lifey pointed out they were given no choice in the matter. It has always been thus with Ulster Unionism. They are completely at the mercy of Westminster, but rarely does Westminster ever call their bluff. Harold Wilson once labelled them 'spongers off Westminster and British democracy' - then did fuck all to put manners on them. Perversely the only ones able to do that are the Tories, as Labour have traditionally feared being labelled as 'soft on terrorism'. It was Edward Heath who prorogued Stormont and it was John Major who kicked off the peace process that culminated in the Good Friday Agreement. Theresa May could have told the DUP at the start of all this that the tail was not going to wag the dog, that any action they took to resist would have just led to Jeremy Corbyn in Number 10. Instead everything she did was with them in mind, and it still didn't sate them. There's no chance of her changing course now.

Theresa May is a fucking idiot though, which is why Labour (which doesn't mean corbyn, it could have been back benchers) could and should have been reaching out to the DUP through all of this. Labour can deliver a better solution for the DUP than the tories can, because the tories can't deliver anything. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I  wouldn't put anything past the murky bastards.

Me either. But there was something about how both mogg and Johnson reacted last night thay made me think they were already plotting. Thay would be the worst possible outcome for us all if that branch of the tories got in charge and managed to hold together a government. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Theresa May is a fucking idiot though, which is why Labour (which doesn't mean corbyn, it could have been back benchers) could and should have been reaching out to the DUP through all of this. Labour can deliver a better solution for the DUP than the tories can, because the tories can't deliver anything. 

I see what the problem is here. You're thinking rationally. The DUP should engage with Corbyn to ensure the entire UK stays within a customs union with the EU and NI is thus treated no differently to the rest of the UK, right? Win-win all round. Except the DUP are not rational. They won't engage with Corbyn on anything, ever. There are other reasons why they will reject movement towards a soft Brexit, but not engaging with Corbyn on anything, ever, is enough for now.