You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm just a cult member, brainwashed into thinking that 30-something years in Parliament, including 3 years as Leader of the Opposition, gives you the edge over a bunch of people whose aggregated political experience is (I think) one failed tilt at a council seat.

Woah, hang on, I haven’t lost yet. 

Wasn’t the Labour line at Conference that if a motion of no confidence were to fail then everything would be on the table, including a people’s vote/second referendum? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them come out in favour of it next week. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Woah, hang on, I haven’t lost yet. 

Wasn’t the Labour line at Conference that if a motion of no confidence were to fail then everything would be on the table, including a people’s vote/second referendum? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them come out in favour of it next week. 

You remember correctly; much better than I remember everyone's political careers.

54 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Listening to Sammy Wilson before, he was bigging up a no deal Brexit 

I thought the exact opposite. He was spouting the shite most breiteers do aboit "how can they not give us a good deal now". He didn't mention no deal in the interview I saw  

54 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The DUP are to the right of the ERG mate. 

And what? Just because people to the right doesn't mean they're stupid enough to think no deal is good. Capitalists in general like deals. The DUP don't support no deal. As I said, aside from a few mad tories like mogg, nobody does and there's clearly no will of Parliament to have no deal, so it's a pointless stance for any party trying to negotiate a position  on behalf of their constitutents. 

The DUP won't vote against May/join forces with Labour. 

Nigel Dodds has just been on Newsnight saying how the Tories will, over the coming days, appreciate for the first time just how important the confidence and supply agreement with the DUP is. 

The streets of (the unionist areas of) Belfast will soon be paved with gold.

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The DUP won't vote against May/join forces with Labour. 

Nigel Dodds has just been on Newsnight saying how the Tories will, over the coming days, appreciate for the first time just how important the confidence and supply agreement with the DUP is. 

The streets of (the unionist areas of Belfast) will soon be paved with gold.

Excatly. 

As an outsider, who knows sweet fuck all of the nuances of Brexit, I’ll keep it simple.

The referendum was binding. What are the legal ramifications of not supporting a binding referendum?  Surely the British Parliament had a duty to vote yes on the current Brexit with deal, because the EU already stated that this was the best deal on offer and certainly its a far more acceptable deal than a ‘no deal hard Brexit’ to all the leavers who voted?

Parliament just shat on the voting public and their binding referendum. Does Parliament get to do that?

4 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

As an outsider, who knows sweet fuck all of the nuances of Brexit, I’ll keep it simple.

The referendum was binding. What are the legal ramifications of not supporting a binding referendum?  Surely the British Parliament had a duty to vote yes on the current Brexit with deal, because the EU already stated that this was the best deal on offer and certainly its a far more acceptable deal than a ‘no deal hard Brexit’ to all the leavers who voted?

Parliament just shat on the voting public and their binding referendum. Does Parliament get to do that?

The referendum wasn't binding.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

What about constituencies that voted remain? Should their MP follow the national result or vote in line with what their constituents voted for? 

What about Labour MP's who were elected in a general election which occurred after the EU referendum? They were elected on a manifesto promise to abide by the result of the EU referendum but with the caveat that they'd only back a deal which protected jobs and certain rights etc (see pages 24-27 of the Labour manifesto). Again, should they follow the earlier national referendum result and back any Brexit deal working on the fallacy that the 17m who voted for Brexit are all one homogeneous group who follow the "leave means leave" mantra, or who would happily accept any deal/no deal? Or do they honour the promises made to the electorate in their party manifesto, the very promises they were elected on the back of? 

It's not aimed at you personally, but leave voters happily trot out the "respect democracy" line. But, is it really democratic to get elected on a clear manifesto pledge on Brexit, in an election that was largely determined around Brexit, and then go back on those pledges to vote in favour of any old deal just because "it's democracy, innit?" 

13 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What about constituencies that voted remain? Should their MP follow the national result or vote in line with what their constituents voted for? 

What about Labour MP's who were elected in a general election which occurred after the EU referendum? They were elected on a manifesto promise to abide by the result of the EU referendum but with the caveat that they'd only back a deal which protected jobs and certain rights etc (see pages 24-27 of the Labour manifesto). Again, should they follow the earlier national referendum result and back any Brexit deal working on the fallacy that the 17m who voted for Brexit are all one homogeneous group who follow the "leave means leave" mantra, or who would happily accept any deal/no deal? Or do they honour the promises made to the electorate in their party manifesto, the very promises they were elected on the back of? 

It's not aimed at you personally, but leave voters happily trot out the "respect democracy" line. But, is it really democratic to get elected on a clear manifesto pledge on Brexit, in an election that was largely determined around Brexit, and then go back on those pledges to vote in favour of any old deal just because "it's democracy, innit?" 

All good valid points - but what the fuck is a ‘binding referendum’ ?

22 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So now we're left with revoking Art.50 or No Deal. When's it okay to stockpile food? 

Toilet paper is apparently the first item to disappear.

I know parliament is against a no deal but they've effectively already voted for it. This will come down to whether May is prepared to put her country ahead of her party? We already know the answer. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think Corbyn has shot himself in the foot with the no confidence vote. The mail saying "corbyns cynical treachery" is a disgrace though. It's treachery to dare oppose the Tories according to the mail. Absolute shit rag.

It feels like it's just protocol. 

People probably thought it was ace in 1723 or something, that often tends to be how our political system works. 

And, to be fair, I'm not sure there is anything he could do to get the Mail on side. Become a nazi, perhaps?

5 hours ago, Red Shift said:

The referendum was binding. What are the legal ramifications of not supporting a binding referendum?  

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The referendum wasn't binding.

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Oh good. Point clarified.

My favourite bit of the entire thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clangers said:

Toilet paper is apparently the first item to disappear.

I know parliament is against a no deal but they've effectively already voted for it. This will come down to whether May is prepared to put her country ahead of her party? We already know the answer. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ll use kitchen roll instead. Nobody will think of that. 

I'm thinking of using the current £10 notes. Being plastic they're washable right?