You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

They should put May and Corbyn in a room with a playstation and settle the whole thing over a few rounds of Streetfighter II. I bet Corbyn would beat her at that easily.

Then he'd somehow get called an anti-semite for whatever character he picked.

He would definitely pick Zangief.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

May surely must resign after this. How can she go on? There's no way the EU will concede anything, and even if they do it won't overturn 230 votes. I'm starting to think this whole thing is a conspiracy, and May's role is that of a patsy - to make the hard line position seem like the only option available.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm just a cult member, brainwashed into thinking that 30-something years in Parliament, including 3 years as Leader of the Opposition, gives you the edge over a bunch of people whose aggregated political experience is (I think) one failed tilt at a council seat.

But this is a forum where people discuss shit and are allowed to have an opinion. We do it over football all the time and I reckon even your defence of corbyn would even apply to Roy hodgson in a football context. And sometimes in life really qualified people make really bad decisions. It's a bit of a sorry day if we can't question and disagree with our politicians purely because they've been at it for a few years. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

How is it stupid? 

If he didnt call it the SNP would have and people would have criticised him for not calling it. 

The whole story. Jeremy Corbyn doesn’t table motion of no confidence. @IanBlackfordMP tables motion of no confidence. Theresa May says if Jeremy Corbyn doesn’t table, parliament might debate Ian Blackford’s motion. THEN Jeremy Corbyn tables motion of no confidence.

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm just a cult member, brainwashed into thinking that 30-something years in Parliament, including 3 years as Leader of the Opposition, gives you the edge over a bunch of people whose aggregated political experience is (I think) one failed tilt at a council seat.

Oh Right , well then let’s not debate anything then eh? I mean what on earth could any non member of the house possibly know, my bad

Just now, lifetime fan said:

There was no choice there. 

There's no choice here. Corbyn could easily convince the DUP they would have more chance of keeping their sovereignty and place in the union with the UK with him than with May. May was literally selling the DUP down the river. Its way too easy to say something will never happen. It's like when  people said trump couldn't win the republican nomination to be president. And if he did, he was unelectable. 

And back to that picture, for many years into the peace process, paisley wouldn't even sit in the same room as sinn fein. But he, alongside everyone who was a part of that process had to find a way. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

There's no choice here. Corbyn could easily convince the DUP they would have more chance of keeping their sovereignty and place in the union with the UK with him than with May. May was literally selling the DUP down the river. Its way too easy to say something will never happen. It's like when  people said trump couldn't win the republican nomination to be president. And if he did, he was unelectable. 

And back to that picture, for many years into the peace process, paisley wouldn't even sit in the same room as sinn fein. But he, alongside everyone who was a part of that process had to find a way. 

No chance the DUP would cooperate with Corbyn, they are in their biggest position of power ever. 

They'll blackmail the tories to get what they want.  

As for the photo...

I followed the the peace process like a geek (distantly related to Michael Collins), the DUP came to the table only when they effectively had no choice. 

They were out manouvered by Sinn Fein and the IRA ceasefire. The DUP then acted in their best interests. 

And as as I said their best interests are blackmailing and propping up a tory government at their weakest. 

There’s no fucking chance they’d work with Corbyn. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

The whole story. Jeremy Corbyn doesn’t table motion of no confidence. @IanBlackfordMP tables motion of no confidence. Theresa May says if Jeremy Corbyn doesn’t table, parliament might debate Ian Blackford’s motion. THEN Jeremy Corbyn tables motion of no confidence.

So lacking leadership and indecisive. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

No chance the DUP would cooperate with Corbyn, they are in their biggest position of power ever. 

They'll blackmail the tories to get what they want.  

As for the photo...

I followed the the peace process like a geek (distantly related to Michael Collins), the DUP came to the table only when they effectively had no choice. 

They were out manouvered by Sinn Fein and the IRA ceasefire. The DUP then a yes in their best interests. 

And as as I said their best interests are blackmailing and propping up a tory government at their weakest. 

There’s no fucking chance they’d work with Corbyn. 

The DUP were largely an irrelevance during the peace process, because the official unionists carried the greater support by some considerable way and thay support increased as paisley and the dup continued their childish stance. They needed to come to the table to be taken seriously by their own community. The DUP were out manoevered by their own communities desire for peace. 

And back to today, the DUP could get corbyn to deliver everything and more they are promised by the tories if he was to become prime minister. You are right they are in an incredibly strong position, but their desire to be treated no differently than the rest of the UK and to maintain  their position on the union is the most important thing to them. Corbyn was already promising delivering brexit, all he needed to do was convince the DUP they were safer with him, which as I say shouldn't be hard considering May was in the process of selling them out. Everyone has their price, its just a question of finding out what that price is. 

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Gary Gibbon at the end of Channel 4 News said Tory MPs were openly talking after the vote about their party splitting if the government side with Labour MPs to get a soft Brexit through. Let’s fucking hope so.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of the tories splitting over this. There's more chance of labour picking off enough of them tomorrow to win the confidence vote. I just think the centrist tories will lurch to the right. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The DUP were largely an irrelevance during the peace process, because the official unionists carried the greater support by some considerable way and thay support increased as paisley and the dup continued their childish stance. They needed to come to the table to be taken seriously by their own community. The DUP were out manoevered by their own communities desire for peace. 

And back to today, the DUP could get corbyn to deliver everything and more they are promised by the tories if he was to become prime minister. You are right they are in an incredibly strong position, but their desire to be treated no differently than the rest of the UK and to maintain  their position on the union is the most important thing to them. Corbyn was already promising delivering brexit, all he needed to do was convince the DUP they were safer with him, which as I say shouldn't be hard considering May was in the process of selling them out. Everyone has their price, its just a question of finding out what that price is. 

I disagree mate. 

Siding with ‘IRA supporter Corbyn’ is political suicide for them domestically and they’re never going to do it. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

I disagree mate. 

Siding with ‘IRA supporter Corbyn’ is political suicide for them domestically and they’re never going to do it. 

I don't agree with that at all. No deal potentially brings a hard border in Ireland and nobody wants that, DUP included and most importantly the people who vote for them. A hard border in Ireland is far greater political suicide for the DUP than working with Corbyn. The current tory alternative to the May deal is a no deal brexit. Nobody who represents working class communities anywhere in the UK supports a no deal brexit and northern Ireland is no different. The DUP may prefer a hard brexit, but be sure they don't want a no deal brexit. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I don't agree with that at all. No deal potentially brings a hard border in Ireland and nobody wants that, DUP included and most importantly the people who vote for them. A hard border in Ireland is far greater political suicide for the DUP than working with Corbyn. The current tory alternative to the May deal is a no deal brexit. Nobody who represents working class communities anywhere in the UK supports a no deal brexit and northern Ireland is no different. The DUP may prefer a hard brexit, but be sure they don't want a no deal brexit. 

The DUP would prefer a no deal than work with Corbyn. 

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one mate. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Listening to Sammy Wilson before, he was bigging up a no deal Brexit