You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

If Corbyn didn’t call the vote of no confidence the SNP would have. 

He had no choice but to call it. 

This. 

He knows it will lose. But, if he didn't call it he'd be accused of dithering and being indecisive. Of taking no action at all. 

The language Labour have used regarding the second referendum hasn't been a categorical no. It's been couched in terms like "not our preferred option" etc. Whereas, the language used regarding a no deal Brexit has largely been a lot more direct: "we won't allow this to happen" etc. 

Corbyn won't get his general election. He'll be left with no choice but to get behind a second vote and should do so almost immediately after the Tories back May.

This allows him the chance to play it along the lines of "we wanted to honour the result of the referendum, but it was essential to get a deal which didn't harm the country. The Conservatives, after 2 whole years, failed to put such a deal before the house. This leaves only two options, a no deal Brexit or putting the question to the country again. We feel that a no deal Brexit would be disastrous for the country and we now have no real choice but to back a "people's vote" on the matter." 

That's only if the EU rebuff any effort from May to get concessions on the withdrawal agreement, which you'd imagine they will? 

10 minutes ago, Kieve Kev said:

I didn't realise it could be called by others, he's a prick but I'm not jumping on him now I know. If it could have been delayed the whole news cycle is on her and her massive defeat. Now it will be about her wonderful victory. And they have already started the spin of him being an opportunist.

It's infuriating that a bunch of cunts such as the tories do not face a competent opposition. 

Usually it is only the official opposition that can call a vote of no confidence. 

May opened it up to all party leaders though, if Corbyn didn’t call the motion he’d have been slaughtered for lacking leadership and being indecisive. 

So the DUP will make sure that tories stay in power even if a few of them do vote against, then we're back to the usual shit of May trying to negotiate with the EU again. So really not much has changed has it? It really is a load of shit and it makes you wonder how long things have to carry on being this bad before we do actually get another election. Complete fucking joke this government.

Just now, lifetime fan said:

Usually it is only the official opposition that can call a vote if no confidence. 

May opened it up to all party leaders though, if Corbyn didn’t call the motion he’d have been slaughtered for lacking leadership and being indecisive. 

He gets slaughtered no matter what he does, that';s true enough.

If they had a decent leader this wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

How is it stupid? 

If he didnt call it the SNP would have and people would have criticised him for not calling it. 

It’s stupid because it won’t work and he won’t have a chance to use it again. Should have got SNP to wait and worked together with DUP promises. There’s literally zero benefit from it if they can’t win. 

Unless he knows certain Tories are willing to bring it down. 

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

But he’s going to lose and that will reunite them surely when they should be left hanging? That’s my view anyway, the whole things a mess let’s be honest

They spun her humiliating result in a leadership challenge as a positive after a third of her own party voted against her. By the weekend she will be mother Theresa again. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Corbyn has said all along that he'll call a motion of no confidence when it has the best chance of succeeding. It's a bit mad that a load of random blokes on a football forum assume that their political insights and instincts are better than his.

I'd go with randoms on here before him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Corbyn has said all along that he'll call a motion of no confidence when it has the best chance of succeeding. It's a bit mad that a load of random blokes on a football forum assume that their political insights and instincts are better than his.

Is Corbyn your dad or something

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

She was never going to resign. She has a pathological need to hang in there. I think she has nothing else in her life apart from this. 

EDIT: Can’t see any of her own MPs or the DUP supporting the no confidence motion either. I suspect Hoey et al will support her as well.

To be fair, I don't think any prime minister has anything else in their life! 

I know you won't agree, but Corbyn and Labour should have been working  towards this for months, even if all they were doing was egging on the right of the tory party that surely they couldn't lose to corbyn? This stance that the tories have had "we won't vote against her because it'll let corbyn in" should have been used that the tories to the right or centre were admitting they don't have the support of the country if they're not willing to go to an election. For me this is as big a failing as may over the last 2 years. 

49 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Surely she has to resign to save her government 

No fucking chance. The whole point of this entire mess has been so she can hang on to her job and the tory party is so inept they can't even get rid of her. She is the worst prime minister of all time and neither the tories or the opposition  seem able to lay a glove on her. 

40 minutes ago, Boss said:

When the history books are written, people are going to look back in amazement as to why a Remainer was put in charge of our EU withdrawal agreement. Gary Glitter would do a better job as head of Child Protective Services. 

The history books will record exactly what happened, the tory right were all so desperate to scramble to get the job for themselves, stabbing their own "mates" in the back they let her in. She is prime minister because of the failing of the tory right. 

3 minutes ago, Kieve Kev said:

I didn't realise it could be called by others, he's a prick but I'm not jumping on him now I know. If it could have been delayed the whole news cycle is on her and her massive defeat. Now it will be about her wonderful victory. 

I think normally the vote of no confidence needs to be called by the official opposition, but may said in her speach after the vote she'd consider it from other opposition  parties. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

But he’s going to lose and that will reunite them surely when they should be left hanging? That’s my view anyway, the whole things a mess let’s be honest

They wouldn’t have been left hanging, that’s my point. 

If Corbyn didn’t call it one of the SNP, Lib Dems, Greens, PC would have. 

Corbyn is far from perfect but why people are trying to blame him for this shitshow I have no idea. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, lifetime fan said:

They wouldn’t have been left hanging, that’s my point. 

If Corbyn didn’t call it one of the SNP, Lib Dems, Greens, PC would have. 

Corbyn is far from perfect but why people are trying to blame him for this shitshow I have no idea. 

Call it frustration that there is no competent opposition party. As he's the leader he gets the blame, that's how it is. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s stupid because it won’t work and he won’t have a chance to use it again. Should have got SNP to wait and worked together with DUP promises. There’s literally zero benefit from it if they can’t win. 

Unless he knows certain Tories are willing to bring it down. 

The DUP work with Corbyn? 

Ahahahahahaha

Is the solution not for Corbyn to step and appoint someone a little more palatable than can actually get an agreement a majority can agree on? 

Corbyn, May, Johnson, Rees Mogg, each and every one of them are too toxic to too many to ever get anything done. Its limbo central, there is no where to go. 

A 2nd referendum does nothing, the result will be too tight either way, a remain victory would need to be by 20% plus which it won't be. If leave wins again then what will change in terms of agreeing a deal? Nothing is the answer, the EU have been consistent from day one, rock solid behind the Irish border and the policy of not having cake and eat it.

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Is Corbyn your dad or something

I'm just a cult member, brainwashed into thinking that 30-something years in Parliament, including 3 years as Leader of the Opposition, gives you the edge over a bunch of people whose aggregated political experience is (I think) one failed tilt at a council seat.