You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Happy New Year all 

A lady giving a sensible view of Brexit and the EU at the bottom of the following link.

God help her is she tried raising those rather sensible concerns on here  She'd be burnt at the internet stake of fury.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/02/german-leftwing-movement-will-take-to-streets-like-gilet-jaunes-in-2019

As predicted stronts straight in with a neg and Saas cherry picking a sentence. Angry must be still enjoying the new year Belgium Choclates.

I suppose asking either to debate the merits of the lady's opinions would be futile.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/02/german-leftwing-movement-will-take-to-streets-like-gilet-jaunes-in-2019

From the Independent .

Government hand over 14 mill quid to a Company with tangible assets of £35,000 that purely by coincidence share a registered address with Mark Bamford's law firm also coincidently one of the largest donors to the Tory party. Grayling s

The government’s preparations for a no-deal Brexit have been questioned after it emerged a £13.8m contract to run extra ferries has been awarded to a company with no ships.

Seaborne Freight, which has not previously operated a ferry service, was one of three firms tasked with laying on additional crossings to ease the pressure on Dover.

It aims to operate freight ferries from Ramsgate in Kent to Ostend in Belgium, beginning with two ships in late March and increasing to four by the end of the summer.

But a Conservative county councillor for Ramsgate said he did not believe it would be possible to set up a new service from the port by the scheduled date of Brexit on 29 March.

loader_100x100.gif

Paul Messenger also questioned whether the government had carried out sufficient checks on the firm, telling the BBC: “It has no ships and no trading history so how can due diligence be done?

“Why choose a company that never moved a single truck in their entire history and give them £14m? I don’t understand the logic of that.”

The DfT has also signed a £47.3m contract with Danish company DFDS and a £46.6m contract with French firm Brittany Ferries to increase capacity on their routes.

Ministers have been accused of “recklessly” spending public money on last-minute preparations for a disorderly Brexit, which will be the default scenario if MPs cannot reach an agreement.

Details of the deals were published quietly on Christmas Eve and reveal that Whitehall officials warned that a “situation of extreme urgency” exists in “roll-on roll-off” ferry capacity if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Just now, magicrat said:

From the Independent .

Government hand over 14 mill quid to a Company with tangible assets of £35,000 that purely by coincidence share a registered address with Mark Bamford's law firm also coincidently one of the largest donors to the Tory party. Grayling said he would make no apologies for supporting a new British business "

The government’s preparations for a no-deal Brexit have been questioned after it emerged a £13.8m contract to run extra ferries has been awarded to a company with no ships.

Seaborne Freight, which has not previously operated a ferry service, was one of three firms tasked with laying on additional crossings to ease the pressure on Dover.

It aims to operate freight ferries from Ramsgate in Kent to Ostend in Belgium, beginning with two ships in late March and increasing to four by the end of the summer.

But a Conservative county councillor for Ramsgate said he did not believe it would be possible to set up a new service from the port by the scheduled date of Brexit on 29 March.

loader_100x100.gif

Paul Messenger also questioned whether the government had carried out sufficient checks on the firm, telling the BBC: “It has no ships and no trading history so how can due diligence be done?

“Why choose a company that never moved a single truck in their entire history and give them £14m? I don’t understand the logic of that.”

The DfT has also signed a £47.3m contract with Danish company DFDS and a £46.6m contract with French firm Brittany Ferries to increase capacity on their routes.

Ministers have been accused of “recklessly” spending public money on last-minute preparations for a disorderly Brexit, which will be the default scenario if MPs cannot reach an agreement.

Details of the deals were published quietly on Christmas Eve and reveal that Whitehall officials warned that a “situation of extreme urgency” exists in “roll-on roll-off” ferry capacity if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

As predicted stronts straight in with a neg and Saas cherry picking a sentence. Angry must be still enjoying the new year Belgium Choclates.

I suppose asking either to debate the merits of the lady's opinions would be futile.

I may be cherry picking a sentence, but this is in fact debating the merits of her opinions.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

I thought Brexit would be shit but fuck me, this is another level

Can we find people who still think this is a good idea?

Gnasher will be along shortly, to post a link to a news story about Neil Kinnock and Baroness Warsi: if that doesn't convince you, nothing will. 

• Upvote 4

Brexit voters will love this.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-will-scrap-the-rules-that-let-britain-turn-back-channel-asylum-seekers-a4028526.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1546430886

Brexit will reduce Britain’s ability to send asylum seekers who cross the Channel in unsafe dinghies back to France, a former head of immigration enforcement warned today.

Amid claims that the dangerous sea crossings will multiply unless migrants are seen being returned, the ex-senior Home Office official said leaving the EU would end current agreements designed to deter such attempts.

David Wood, former deputy chief executive of the Border Agency and ex-director general of immigration enforcement at the Home Office, said Britain may lose protections currently given under the Dublin Agreement, which says asylum seekers should claim refuge in the first safe country they arrive in.

“Brexit may affect all of this,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “Once we are out of the EU we are not, I suspect, part of Dublin. Currently if people come here and claim asylum and it is found they claimed asylum in another EU country they can be returned to that EU country. If we are out of the Dublin Agreement we would be out of that.”

Guest Pistonbroke

Thought it only fair to share the following information with this forum.

Yesterday I had an appointment with the appropriate office which sorts out applications for German citizenship. They have actually set up up an office especially for sorting out UK citizens applying, basically given special treatment and keeping it separate from other nationalities.  As things stood, Brits had to put in for German citizenship before the Brexit date on the 29th March 2019 in order to keep hold of their English Citizenship as well. 

The man basically filled out a few notes on his PC to say I had started the initial process but then said the following. "Hold back on actually applying until February, the Government (German) are going to release an important announcement in a few weeks. Save your money, as it costs 255 notes to apply, plus further costs for translation of Birth Certificate and a few tests you need to take "

He was a bit coy about giving out any other information but I could read between the lines and gleamed the following. Regardless of what happens in the UK the German Government won't reciprocate by asking British nationals to leave etc. The release is to do with extension dates, I believe a 6 moth extension to sorting out citizenship etc. Probably due to the Brexit date being extended, or in anticipation of that happening. He also chuckled and said "Wouldn't that be the typical outcome" when I said I still believe Brexit may not happen. It wasn't a chuckle as in laughing about the situation, more of a chuckle of agreement. This bloke is also in the loop of top officials working in the Regions City council.

We will see. I'm guessing we'll all be a bit wiser when the MP's vote in a few weeks. That is if that vote is not put off, due to these extensions which will be happening over here, and probably in the UK. I will log back on and let you know if I receive any further information when he contacts me, or at my next appointment which will be sent out once these releases/changes in German policy regards dealing with UK nationals due to Brexit have been made. 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:01 AM, AngryofTuebrook said:

Gnasher will be along shortly, to post a link to a news story about Neil Kinnock and Baroness Warsi: if that doesn't convince you, nothing will. 

Any  thoughts on the points this lady makes angry?

Or are you just going to continually prop up the status quo?

4 people repped this shit. The pitchfork burn the devil crew still going strong on here. 

Let's stifle debate aye lads? Anyone any of you neggers want to tell me what you disagree with in the following article?

I think she makes valid points.

• Downvote 2

Here you go angry, satire is dead

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/10/neil-kinnock-baroness-warsi-european-commissioner_n_5573457.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Any  thoughts on the points this lady makes angry?

Or are you just going to continually prop up the status quo?

I prefer we stop Brexit and have the Tories implode. That is realistic whilst it may not deliver the freedom to enact all the changes a Labour government under Corbyn desire.

Being pragmatic is not propping up the status quo. 

• Upvote 1