You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

They really don’t want us to leave, they stand to lose a fair amount as well, not as much as us granted but it’s a huge blow to see us walk away I’m sure. Pity we had May batting for us, low hanging fruit for Barnier.

Err no shit Sherlock. The EU have been saying from Day 1 that we could change our minds. This is a legal ruling confirming  that, not the EU begging us to stay.

But doesn't matter who negotiated for us, the numbers mean the EU would always come out on top. Don't do it to yourself, the UK never had any cards to play. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

They really don’t want us to leave, they stand to lose a fair amount as well, not as much as us granted but it’s a huge blow to see us walk away I’m sure. Pity we had May batting for us, low hanging fruit for Barnier.

What would you have done differently? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

May has to be one of the all time most hapless party leaders, she is an absolute disaster

I honestly think that the deal done when she was racing Leadsome for leadership and Leadsome stepped aside was because they knew it was a poisoned chalice for May and would finish off whoever seen through Brexit

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

What was May's thought process through this whole thing? It's been blatantly obvious for some time now that this would never get through parliament. Did she just expect people to change their minds? It's beyond my comprehension just how badly this has been managed!

Yep, the incompetence is really quite something to see

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

What was May's thought process through this whole thing? It's been blatantly obvious for some time now that this would never get through parliament. Did she just expect people to change their minds? It's beyond my comprehension just how badly this has been managed!

I reckon she was gambling a bit on managing to keep the options limited to "my deal or no deal" and, knowing the overwhelming majority of ministers across the benches want to avoid no deal, hoped that would see her through - shored up by the usual Tory ability to close ranks whenever there's a whiff of power-loss.

The Grieve amendment and this morning's ruling from the ECJ have completely fucked her though; her deal is no longer the lesser of two evils but the worst possible compromise. And because she's a rank coward, she's decided to postpone and spend her Chrimbo working on spin and back-office deals.

Brexit really is a complete and utter cunt farce.

• Upvote 1

She’s going to pivot as she knows this deal is fucked, but to what... is anyone’s guess.

I’m thinking she’ll very publicly go back to the EU and try and renegotiate and when they inevitably tell her to fuck off she’ll blame them and present something else.

Could be anything from a no deal brexit ( which surely still has no chance of getting through parliament) to a people’s vote. 

A people’s vote with no remain option is my bet, but if she does legislate for that I expect remain to get put on through an amendment to the bill or in the Lords if they send it back.

23 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Thank fuck we got a strong and stable government last year to see us through these difficult times.

• Upvote 2

The prime minister had one job, after she took the greatest office in the land in July 2016 - which was to negotiate an orderly sensible Brexit.

Today she will admit she has failed. Because rather than risk seeing an overwhelming majority of MPs vote down the Brexit plan she has meticulously and painstakingly agreed with the EU, she will today tell MPs she is pulling the vote.

Two questions follow.

What on earth can she say at 3.30pm today to persuade MPs and the nation that she has a strategy for a better Brexit outcome?

And will MPs actually let her pull that vote? MPs of ALL parties - including her own - are queuing up to tell me this morning that they will not give up their democratic right to formally vote down her deal without a fight.

They think they may have the opportunity to reject the motion the government will lay shelving the vote.

If they succeed in voting down her attempt to bury a bad vote, surely in the process they will in effect be terminating her time as PM.

Robert Peston
ITV Political Editor
Twitter: @Peston