You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

When they get back from their moats and windmills after the weekend further trouble on the horizon.

BREXIT LATEST: Cabinet trouble gets worse for May... Andrea Leadsom is convening a working group of five Cabinet Brexiteers to re-write the Brexit deal, sources say. Gove, Fox, Mordaunt, Grayling, and Leadsom... They're meeting through next week

Coordinated action from these five Brexiteers suggests they want to change the draft Brexit agreement so that they can stay in government and vote for it when the time comes. But if they can't

Another mass Cabinet walk out seems likely in the run up to the Meaningful Vote

Jesus. 

UK austerity has inflicted 'great misery' on citizens, UN says

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

The UK government has inflicted “great misery” on its people with “punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous” austerity policies driven by a political desire to undertake social re-engineering rather than economic necessity, the United Nations poverty envoy has found.

Philip Alston, the UN’s rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, ended a two-week fact-finding mission to the UK with a stinging declaration that despite being the world’s fifth largest economy, levels of child poverty are “not just a disgrace, but a social calamity and an economic disaster”.

About 14 million people, a fifth of the population, live in poverty, and 1.5 million are destitute, unable to afford basic essentials, he said, 

On food banks, he said: “I was struck by how much their mobilisation resembled the sort of activity you might expect for a natural disaster or health epidemic.”

The ministers he met – including Esther McVey – were almost entirely dismissive of criticisms of welfare changes and universal credit, he said. Instead they described critics as political saboteurs, or said they failed to understand how it worked.

Alston said the government was in a state of denial and there was a “striking disconnect” between what ministers said and the testimonies he heard from ordinary people... "ministers insisted to me that all is well and running according to plan.”

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

EU saying no more negotiating. Surely time now for Labour to put up or shut up. They'll now have to back May's deal, no deal or no Brexit. Whatever happens at least it won't go on too much longer.

That will still cause massive division.

I cannot support a no deal 'fuck you' JRM style exit. I have no desire to antagonise the EU.

I cannot, hand on heart, vote to remain in a political union with the EU.

That leaves Mays deal and I would rather eat my own turds than support that or them and it is dead anyway.

If we remain and have a no Brexit I think the previously seen right wing nutters actions will go into overdrive and claim constitutional justification for madness. We cannot turn over the ref result.

We have to leave the EU. The only solution I can see is a cross party emergency government. Let Starmer run it. Chakrabarti, Ken Clarke even fucking Gove for balance. JRM and Boris can fuck off. Get it sorted then a general election to elect a permanent administration which Labour will win.

2 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

That will still cause massive division.

I cannot support a no deal 'fuck you' JRM style exit. I have no desire to antagonise the EU.

I cannot, hand on heart, vote to remain in a political union with the EU.

That leaves Mays deal and I would rather eat my own turds than support that or them and it is dead anyway.

Offer yourself up for alien abduction?

Labour were correct with their six tests on Brexit as all six were promises made by the leave campaign. It's clear that they are unachievable but that is what Brexit was sold as so that is what people are expecting.

As of now the most likely thing to happen is that we will crash out of Europe and the economy will tank. 

Somebody needs to stand up and point out that the whole Leave campaign Brexit fantasy is just a load of Shite and not going to happen.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Jesus. 

UK austerity has inflicted 'great misery' on citizens, UN says

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

The UK government has inflicted “great misery” on its people with “punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous” austerity policies driven by a political desire to undertake social re-engineering rather than economic necessity, the United Nations poverty envoy has found.

Philip Alston, the UN’s rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, ended a two-week fact-finding mission to the UK with a stinging declaration that despite being the world’s fifth largest economy, levels of child poverty are “not just a disgrace, but a social calamity and an economic disaster”.

About 14 million people, a fifth of the population, live in poverty, and 1.5 million are destitute, unable to afford basic essentials, he said, 

On food banks, he said: “I was struck by how much their mobilisation resembled the sort of activity you might expect for a natural disaster or health epidemic.”

The ministers he met – including Esther McVey – were almost entirely dismissive of criticisms of welfare changes and universal credit, he said. Instead they described critics as political saboteurs, or said they failed to understand how it worked.

Alston said the government was in a state of denial and there was a “striking disconnect” between what ministers said and the testimonies he heard from ordinary people... "ministers insisted to me that all is well and running according to plan.”

The government have pooh poohed it of course stating the give a fortune in foreign aid to countries where there is "real poverty"!

Heads in the sand!

Do even remainers not feel a pang in the pit of their stomach that this country cannot exist and prosper without French, German, Italian, Greek etc cooperation.

I've no problem with these places and most of them have ruled here at some point but I do not want to be dictated to by them.

I've said this before but noone ever replied.  I could get together with my 10 neighbours and negotiate a much better price for my gas. We would need to elect a chairman and i would pay in and he would pay the bills. We would have meetings and whatever. Fuck that I'll pay my own bills thanks.

Likewise with the EU. I'll pay my own way.

29 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Do even remainers not feel a pang in the pit of their stomach that this country cannot exist and prosper without French, German, Italian, Greek etc cooperation.

I've no problem with these places and most of them have ruled here at some point but I do not want to be dictated to by them.

I've said this before but noone ever replied.  I could get together with my 10 neighbours and negotiate a much better price for my gas. We would need to elect a chairman and i would pay in and he would pay the bills. We would have meetings and whatever. Fuck that I'll pay my own bills thanks.

Did you vote leave? 

32 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

The UK begged to join 6 or 7 times and was going to the IMF for handouts. When we joined we couldn't pay bills on our own. Now that the Tories have outsourced everything we still won't be able to. So no I don't feel anything in my stomach when we are corporating with our closest neighbours.

• Upvote 2

Same guff as when people bought that Labour had maxed out the credit card. Like managing a credit card is comparable to running an entire fucking country, one of the biggest in the world economically no less.

Trying to equate massively complex issues with managing a credit card or buying petrol with your mates is ridiculous.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

If we remain and have a no Brexit I think the previously seen right wing nutters actions will go into overdrive and claim constitutional justification for madness. We cannot turn over the ref result.

We have to leave the EU. 

I voted remain and I'm not in favour of a second referendum for reasons I mentioned before. I think every avenue has to be exhausted fully to try and ensure that the UK doesn't end up in some brexit purgatory that dominates the political discourse forever. Can anyone sincerely say that the Conservatives have approached this in a professional and prepared manner.

There are other options that could be pursued but May set her red lines and it led to this shit sandwich. People are being disingenuous to suggest the Maybots deal is the only deal possible. Mainly because it supports their argument for a second referendum or it supports the argument for no deal. 

If you have to seek further information on what the electorate want why not hold a referendum on Freedom of Movement rather than rehash another brexit referendum. All sides can make their case. This would then set what red lines a government could pursue. If people voted for freedom of movement we could stay in the single market and If they didn't then we would have confirmation of the type of relationship they want the UK to have with Europe. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Did you vote leave? 

I did mate, Not because I am a racist or a numpty. I just would rather not make political decisions effecting our country which also have to suit farmers in the east of the continent who still use ploughs attached to donkeys as a means to survive.

Plus the EU is a capitalist milking machine.

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

If people voted for freedom of movement we could stay in the single market and If they didn't then we would have confirmation of the type of relationship they want the UK to have with Europe. 

That scenario changes nothing, Northern Ireland and it's border with the EU/Ireland would still be the circle that can't be squared.

3 hours ago, Anny Road said:

I did mate, Not because I am a racist or a numpty. I just would rather not make political decisions effecting our country which also have to suit farmers in the east of the continent who still use ploughs attached to donkeys as a means to survive.

EU should tell those farmers it would make more economic sense to abandon the ploughs and just milk the donkeys. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

That scenario changes nothing, Northern Ireland and it's border with the EU/Ireland would still be the circle that can't be squared.

Surely the same applies to a "people's vote" if people vote for the leave option right.

But part of my argument is we have arrived at the border situation as the red lines laid out partially lead us to the stalemate. It can be squared as long as Northern Ireland have the same future relationship etc. 

4 hours ago, Anny Road said:

You used to have the Swastika as your avatar on here. Then years later you started a thread asking if we should reclaim the symbol because your ‘Indian friend’ had one on his wall. And who could forget the ‘Very African’ kid that you caught nicking sweets from your shop?

You are a racist, you are a numpty and I’m not alone in thinking that you’re one of the biggest wankers on this site.

I should probably stop there seeing as you’re also dead hard and can windmill the fuck out of six men or some shit. 

Tit. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You used to have the Swastika as your avatar on here. Then years later you started a thread asking if we should reclaim the symbol because your ‘Indian friend’ had one on his wall. And who could forget the ‘Very African’ kid that you caught nicking sweets from your shop?

You are a racist, you are a numpty and I’m not alone in thinking that you’re one of the biggest wankers on this site.

I should probably stop there seeing as you’re also dead hard and can windmill the fuck out of six men or some shit. 

Tit. 

Great post in full.