You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, deiseach said:

I cringe every time I see 'People's Vote'. I get the logic of hammering away at a slogan that defies criticism, but that's the kind of logic that got us into this mess in the first place.

It's clear to me . I want a vote on the deal May puts before Parliament with a remain option.

Fucking hell it's fair enough for people to see the small print and change their minds if they wish,

You wouldn't buy a car on the basis we have been sold Brexit.

6 minutes ago, magicrat said:

It's clear to me . I want a vote on the deal May puts before Parliament with a remain option.

Fucking hell it's fair enough for people to see the small print and change their minds if they wish,

You'd at least have consumer rights protections on your side if you did.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Deliberately sidestepping the issue again.

You voted for a Tory party which has been defined by splits over Europe your entire adult life. A party which instigated a referendum purely to pander to that, which has botched the negotiations and sown bad will at every turn with the EU, filled with extremists who are pushing for a hard Brexit.

You voted for them, you'll vote for them again. Yet you bemoan Corbyn, someone you actively loath, for not saving you from them.

Absolutely bonkers at every level.

Yes, JC would have issued A50 the day after the referendum and we’d all be eating rats by now.  

I was daft in thinking people would see sense and vote Remain.  Along with just about everyone else.  Obviously I didn’t take into account the Russian interference and the blatant lies being swallowed by the people likely to lose the most.  

I realise that I have got a bit emotional over this whole sorry mess. We were away last week in beautiful affluent rural Leave voting North Yorkshire last week. I kept seeing all these nice, well-mannered older people and had to fight the irrational urge to let doors slam back in their faces (the irony is not lost on me)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Yes, JC would have issued A50 the day after the referendum

Well, he wouldn't have had a referendum. But this 'eating rats' stuff, well that's just going to be the poor; you and your party are safe. In fact, you'll no doubt find a way to become richer at the expense of those you fucked over. Good for you. Buy shares in rat food.

• Upvote 1

To play devils advocate on the interference. 

According to a researcher interference is a bit exaggerated. Let's not forget we often talk of 52/48 but it was well over 1.25 million votes the difference. It's not like a marginal seat that would be easier to manipulate. There is some data out there that highlights a consistent scepticism of the EU for sometime. It goes without saying it should be properly investigated but do i think Farage and his mob are dodgy, absolutely, similar to some of those in charge of the remain campaign.

Secondly Remain had certain strategic advantages they chose the timing and had the incumbent PM and Chancellor etc behind them. Farage had failed in numerous attempts at becoming an MP and that mailshot that cost 9.3 million wasn't included in their costings for remain. Didn't a cross party suggest that that type of advantage that remain had be removed from future votes.?

Ms Lu told Sky News: "First of all the number of these tweets is important to highlight. So there's about 400 tweets here out of 22.6 million. That is a very infinitesimal fraction. So the word interference is perhaps a bit exaggerated."

However, those accounts appear to have co-ordinated strategically, retweeting each other to amplify their message and making much more use of photos and videos than normal Twitter users during the same period

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/fake-twitter-accounts-targeting-eu-referendum-co-ordinated-by-russia-11126843

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

No, he should criticise the party that brought about the referendum, the prominent members of leave- who were all serving Tory cabinet members- and who have proceeded to fuck it up, not a Labour leader for not - what? Tweeting about a march? 

He's like you and the lib dems. Plenty of labour voters on here criticise Labour past and present and Corbyn for that matter, but you and Rico never ever own your shit.

I voted for a party that supports remaining in the EU, and voted remain in the referendum. What am I supposed to "own"?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Has anybody come up with a plan to get May to agree to that? Seems to be a bit of a stumbling block 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah clearly did, which is why you only talked about one thing. This thread. 

And since it can't possibly be anything in this thread which I'm "not owning", I therefore asked him what exactly it was I'm not supposed to be owning. QED.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I admitted it was incorrect. Not sure what more you want. But if it helps to deflect from Labour's Brexit policies, you feel free to keep banging that drum.

Why would I want to deflect from Labour’s Brexit policy? As somebody who stated clearly that I won’t be voting for them because of their Brexit stance, I’m not sure what you’re talking about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moof said:

In fairness, May might not be around to make the decision, if reports are to be believed. Impossible to confidently predict what’s going to happen 

Which why yesterdays march was important to keep up the pressure

A poor turnout and it would have been dismissed 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

No, he should criticise the party that brought about the referendum, the prominent members of leave- who were all serving Tory cabinet members- and who have proceeded to fuck it up, not a Labour leader for not - what? Tweeting about a march? 

He's like you and the lib dems. Plenty of labour voters on here criticise Labour past and present and Corbyn for that matter, but you and Rico never ever own your shit.

Mmm, I’ve said loads of times this government are shit (over the page for example) and that May is shit.  And that BJ is a cunt. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

What an utter mess this all is, ultimately Cameron has to take the lions share of the blame, a stern opposition would be nice but I don’t believe for one minute that Corbyn is a remainer 

I agree. He comes from a political background that dislikes it based off of some of its more legitimate grievances. Same as Galloway, Benn, and others. But there was a referendum and them accepting the result is a legitimate position. It’s just one I disagree with. 

5 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

To play devils advocate on the interference. 

According to a researcher interference is a bit exaggerated. Let's not forget we often talk of 52/48 but it was well over 1.25 million votes the difference. It's not like a marginal seat that would be easier to manipulate. There is some data out there that highlights a consistent scepticism of the EU for sometime. It goes without saying it should be properly investigated but do i think Farage and his mob are dodgy, absolutely, similar to some of those in charge of the remain campaign.

Secondly Remain had certain strategic advantages they chose the timing and had the incumbent PM and Chancellor etc behind them. Farage had failed in numerous attempts at becoming an MP and that mailshot that cost 9.3 million wasn't included in their costings for remain. Didn't a cross party suggest that that type of advantage that remain had be removed from future votes.?

Ms Lu told Sky News: "First of all the number of these tweets is important to highlight. So there's about 400 tweets here out of 22.6 million. That is a very infinitesimal fraction. So the word interference is perhaps a bit exaggerated."

However, those accounts appear to have co-ordinated strategically, retweeting each other to amplify their message and making much more use of photos and videos than normal Twitter users during the same period

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/fake-twitter-accounts-targeting-eu-referendum-co-ordinated-by-russia-11126843

To respond, there are more new voters qualified to vote than the winning margin.  That doesn’t take into account the number of old, leave voters who’ve died. 

Edit: and the numbers are getting bigger every day.