You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Orban is not "a result of EU expansion". It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to claim he is.

My first though on the Italian budget is that I don't trust Fascists to deliver a budget that works for everyone.  Fascist economies tend to benefit the majority  (and the richest more than any) at the expense of vulnerable minorities. 

My second thought is that part of having a shared currency is a commitment to convergence on things like national debt. Italy, like all Eurozone countries, signed up to this and has played a part in Eurozone administration ever since it joined.

I didn't ask if you thought they would deliver the budget they promised I asked what you thought of the proposals they promised and if you agree with the EU shooting down those proposals (a la greece) before they have a chance to work.

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I didn't ask if you thought they would deliver the budget they promised I asked what you thought of the proposals they promised and if you agree with the EU shooting down those proposals (a la greece) before they have a chance to work.

I haven’t seen the details of the proposals and I'm guessing you haven't either, so neither of us are qualified to give a full critique of them. (You appear to be happy to take a right-wing, part-Fascist government at its word and to rush to support them; I'm reserving judgement.)

The EU's objection appears to be that the proposals contravene the debt limits that Italy, in common with all Eurozone countries, have agreed to.  There may be an argument for countries to renegotiate the terms of international agreements, but choosing to unilaterally go back on your promises is never good.

47 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So both Ford and Nissan bosses saying they won't reveal their contingency plans for Brexit because they don't want to be accused of scaring people. What's so scary about sunny uplit lands promised by Brexit that would scare the workers and investors?

Really good look at the Nissan plant in this article. This snippet below highlights how orders won't be taken from Brussels anymore, they will be taken from Nissan and every other massive company that has the UK over a barrel. 

Farnsworth, the York University academic who has researched the public funding for Nissan in the UK, suggests that Brexit is already leading the British government to be defensive, desperate to keep the investment the country already has. Brexit, his report says, “gives Nissan nearly unprecedented bargaining power with the UK government. These circumstances put the government in the position of having to give Nissan exactly what it wants in order for the company to remain in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/oct/04/will-nissan-stay-once-britain-leaves-sunderland-brexit-business-dilemma

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

So both Ford and Nissan bosses saying they won't reveal their contingency plans for Brexit because they don't want to be accused of scaring people. What's so scary about sunny uplit lands promised by Brexit that would scare the workers and investors?

They have just released their plans for UK car production 

Image result for model t ford production line

• Upvote 1

This sounds like it's from the Onion or the Daily Mash. I thought the fella who drove round Europe in the shape of STOP BREXIT was odd but this! A focus group must have said the brits love dogs let's bring dogs to a march. I respect everyone's right to protest but I just wish the pro Europe bods spent more time with leavers and engaging with them. 

No Brexit camp deploy 5,000 dogs for 'Wooferendum' march

Latest update : 04/10/2018

bd19433703e68a27b7da028cb882f730c63a9d77 © AFP/File | Anti-Brexit campaigners will march on parliament on Sunday accompanied by up to 5,000 dogs to hound Prime Minister Theresa May into holding a second referendum on EU membership

https://m.france24.com/en/20181004-no-brexit-camp-deploy-5000-dogs-wooferendum-march

Labour MP Owen Smith said in the statement: "We look forward to a great turnout of dogs and people. It's about to unleash a bit of common sense to end this Brexit madness".

Labour former spin doctor Alastair Campbell has said will be attending with his Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy.

"We have to do everything we can to show the politicians that the country is not uniting around Brexit," he said.

The march route will include Trafalgar Square and the Whitehall government district before the canine protesters arrive at Parliament Square.

Organisers said they would also be handing in a petition to Downing Street "signed by dogs and owners".

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I haven’t seen the details of the proposals and I'm guessing you haven't either, so neither of us are qualified to give a full critique of them. (You appear to be happy to take a right-wing, part-Fascist government at its word and to rush to support them; I'm reserving judgement.)

The EU's objection appears to be that the proposals contravene the debt limits that Italy, in common with all Eurozone countries, have agreed to.  There may be an argument for countries to renegotiate the terms of international agreements, but choosing to unilaterally go back on your promises is never good.

So a country can't inject stimulus to help it's poor because of the EU?  Havnt we heard this somewhere before?

I

It's an organization that always comes down in favour of big business against the needs of the disadvantaged. 

The EU has a proven track record, It's the truth the evidence proves it. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It’s gonna happen so we’re just going to have to suck it and see, March isn’t it? I personally think it will be a no deal exit , we don’t have the cards and May will be forced to play tough, for better or worse we’re going to have to make the best of it.

No. I'm going to be Dutch. 

35 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

So a country can't inject stimulus to help it's poor because of the EU?  Havnt we heard this somewhere before?

I

It's an organization that always comes down in favour of big business against the needs of the disadvantaged. 

The EU has a proven track record, It's the truth the evidence proves it. 

No.

A country that agrees to share a currency with other countries, all of whom agree to stay within the same parameters, can't unilaterally decide to go back on that agreement without the other countries having some concerns.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, AngryofTuebrook said:

What are your thoughts on the EU plans to censure the Hungarian Fascists for their human rights abuses? Are you happy to stand with Orban, too?

You never did provide a clear answer to this. Decent people, when asked "are you happy to stand with Fascists" are quick and unequivocal in their response.

Stop pretending you're some sort of leftie.

22 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No.

A country that agrees to share a currency with other countries, all of whom agree to stay within the same parameters, can't unilaterally decide to go back on that agreement without the other countries having some concerns.

Yep, a neo con cunts charter where  good and the great reap hugh subsidies  (ie wealthy farmers) and the average joe and less fortunate get left behind  ( ie youth unemployment rate)

Sorry for declining a ride on the cunt bus.

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yep, a neo con cunts charter where  good and the great reap hugh subsidies  (ie wealthy farmers) and the average joe and less fortunate get left behind  ( ie youth unemployment rate)

Sorry for declining a ride on the cunt bus.

You prefer Boris’s cunt bus ?

19 hours ago, magicrat said:

You prefer Boris’s cunt bus ?

It's possible to hate both it's not a choice of either or, the fact Italy now cannot bail itself out to help it's poorest because of imposed EU restrictions should ring alarm bells or maybe your empathy refuses to stretch that far.

57 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fiction  you say? Talking of children, well.people not much older than children   here's a few facts...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Not that unemployment isn't high  but you realise that they discount people that are studying in their numbers? Therefore it greatly affects the percentage of unemployed.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/europe/students-left-out-youth-unemployment-statistics-distorted-in-europe-a-902301.html

All whilst we'll be catching up in the unemployment stakes because you're a neolib, sorry I mean supporting a neolib coup of the UK. Here's the car industry about to head off into the sunset.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/07/macron-woos-uk-car-firms-over-private-dinner

On 10/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, AngryofTuebrook said:

You never did provide a clear answer to this. Decent people, when asked "are you happy to stand with Fascists" are quick and unequivocal in their response.

Stop pretending you're some sort of leftie.

I've answered before, the rise of the far right is down to EU expansion plus mass youth unemployment, both triggered by EU policy.

I don't claim to be "lefty' anything and of course I do not stand with fasicts, if you are really concerned about the rise of fasicm history tells us it flourishes with mass unemployment, a problem  which the EU seem has seemed nconcerned for over a decade.

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've answered before, the rise of the far right is down to EU expansion plus mass youth unemployment, both triggered by EU policy.

I don't claim to be "lefty' anything and of course I do not stand with fasicts, if you are really concerned about the rise of fasicm history tells us it flourishes with mass unemployment, a problem  which the EU seem has seemed nconcerned for over a decade.

Great, you're not a leftie.  You're just someone who claims to be opposed to neoliberalism and concerned about youth unemployment - and you'd rather stand with Fascists than with parties of the centre (or centre-right).  

You're a fool, at best.