You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Lets see what happens in the next couple of months, It's absolutely impossible to predict how the chips will fall at this stage.  Labour's stance on Brexit is open to shift , the EU are bound to demand further concessions,  Johnson and co may move after the conference as I don't agree MP's rejecting Chequers will lead to the outcome the Brexiteers want. I think it would more likely lead to a second referendum on a no deal exit and a an extension of A60 whilst that happened.

May's "My deal or no deal" soundbite is bollocks . 

This has been rumbling for a a number of years.  US politics are in as much turmoil as our own and relying on Trump to deliver so much as a newspaper at this point is wishful thinking.

That said I agree thats its a massive danger and needs to be expososed, 

I don't think the EU are bound to want more consessions at this stage. In fact I think they will wave this through as a basis for discussion in the transistion period and the final deal will be negotiated after we've left, which is when they will fight for their consessions. 

4 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think the EU are bound to want more consessions at this stage. In fact I think they will wave this through as a basis for discussion in the transistion period and the final deal will be negotiated after we've left, which is when they will fight for their consessions. 

Could be. Like I said it's all up in the air and there are so many scenarios in play.  They will push back on some of Chequers imo

2 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

What is the role of the Conservative remain MPs in all this?

Do they think Chequers is acceptable?

If not, can they do anything about it? Can they demand a second referendum? Bring down the government?

Depends on whether there is sufficient cross party support but most are spineless shits more concerned about their position on the greasy pole, 

They realised it was too mad even for them so didn't publish. Apparently, they wanted to create a task force for the Falklands

A few of them are starting to see which way the wind's blowing and positioning themselves accordingly. Bernard Jenkin said yesterday that he had never wanted to leave but wanted to change the EU from the inside. Complete lies but some will believe any old shite

All recent negotiations about the movement of low skilled Labour (those under 30 g a year ) seem to  conform is what we've always suspected   the Eu has become little more than a slave Labour people smuggling operator that shares it's spoils amongst the rich and powerful in other member states.

The downside is you will probably pay a pound more for a punnet of strawbs.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:25 PM, Captain Turdseye said:

EU migrant workers contribute £2,300 more per year to UK than average British citizen, study reveals

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-workers-uk-tax-treasury-brexit-migrants-british-citizens-a8542506.html

Uhh, the average British citizens consists of people aged and needing medical treatment. It's a silly analysis.

The old lies and statistics line comes to mind.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Business leaders not happy the gravy train of cheap labour under threat,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-workers-uk-brexit-immigration-skilled-migrants-theresa-may-nhs-a8543796.html

Good.

It's pretty much all the same arguments post vote as it was pre vote, even though those arguments made people vote that way in the first place.

(1) Centrist politician like Clegg/Umuna gives speech warning of impending disaster 

(2) report claims economy will collapse without migrant Labour because the British are too lazy 

(3) EU hierarchy will make things as awkward as possible to prevent domino effect so may as well just give up.

(4) We're all racist and I'm thoroughly ashamed to say I'm British when I go abroad.

It's genuinely pretty tedious.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Uhh, the average British citizens consists of people aged and needing medical treatment. It's a silly analysis.

The old lies and statistics line comes to mind.

So people come here as young adults, without us having to pay to educate them, and sod off when they get old, without us having to pay to care for them?

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal from our point of view.

There should have been limits placed on migrant Labour then nobody would have given a toss and we'd still be in the EU.

It was only the UK, Ireland and Sweden that didn't. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was done at a steady rate, but again that was the arrogance of the people at the top who didn't - and still don't - understand or care about the impact of anything beyond its effects on their own wallets.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There should have been limits placed on migrant Labour then nobody would have given a toss and we'd still be in the EU.

It was only the UK, Ireland and Sweden that didn't. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was done at a steady rate, but again that was the arrogance of the people at the top who didn't - and still don't - understand or care about the impact of anything beyond its effects on their own wallets.

This is bullshit!

The MAC report clearly shows that the impact of migration has been a positive one. So the country's problem isn't the immigrants, it's the government that's been voted in taking cleavers to the public sector yet like fucking lemmings people vote for the same thing every 5 years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

This is bullshit!

The MAC report clearly shows that the impact of migration has been a positive one. So the country's problem isn't the immigrants, it's the government that's been voted in taking cleavers to the public sector yet like fucking lemmings people vote for the same thing every 5 years.

Yes, when communities change overnight I'm sure a lot of people console themselves with the fact that migrant Labour is a net contributor to GDP.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yes, when communities change overnight I'm sure a lot of people console themselves with the fact that migrant Labour is a net contributor to GDP.

It's weird that the communities that have changed the most are the ones that voted Remain, don't you think?

It's well documented that areas with the highest leave vote have the lowest level of immigration with the exception of Boston in Lincs

Conversely the areas with the highest level of immigration have the lowest levels of Leave

In short nothing to do with immigration

Fear of immigration, austerity, education, lies, low wages, poor prospects, Cuts etc etc

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

It's weird that the communities that have changed the most are the ones that voted Remain, don't you think?

It's well documented that areas with the highest leave vote have the lowest level of immigration with the exception of Boston in Lincs

Conversely the areas with the highest level of immigration have the lowest levels of Leave

In short nothing to do with immigration

Fear of immigration, austerity, education, lies, low wages, poor prospects, Cuts etc etc

Also notions of Empire 2.0 'We don't need those forins telling us what to do, we can trade with whoever we want on our terms'

The 2004 influx was a mistake in my experience.  Not because of the people in particular (those communities have helped prop up our high streets while British people retreated to online services), but the rate of change (compounded by the credit crunch - which was unlucky in terms of it's timing, if nothing else).  It not only disenfranchised quite a few brits, but also a large swathe of existing migrant labour (which has had a knock on effect in terms of social unease in some cases).  The factory I worked in on/off during my uni years changed dramatically over this time, a load of Afghan, Pakistani (large numbers of them leaving their homes and careers post-9/11) and West Indian workers I knew from overtime stints disappeared as the extra hours people relied on dried up (a large number of them took up work with local taxi firms where they could work longer hours).

Went from a new and active part of local communities (factory was in a village just off the M5) to cleaning up vomit and babysitting asshole students as part of the city's service economy.

It's not an anti-immigration position to say that Labour fucked up and should have paid attention to the moves made in Europe.

edit: just like they persistently failed to properly incentivise NHS careers in the UK.