You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

MORE PROJECT FEAR!

On a serious note, why are we still voluntarily heading headlong into what is going to be an absolutely destructive event for the country?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-tens-of-thousands-of-jobs-at-risk-jaguar-land-rover-boss-tells-pm

So we can control the colour of our passports.

The irony being once the country is destroyed economically no EU citizens will want to come here to work, so it is a win, win.

MORE PROJECT FEAR!

On a serious note, why are we still voluntarily heading headlong into what is going to be an absolutely destructive event for the country?

Because its a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Tories, particularly the worst elements of, to realise their wet dreams. They won't give that up without a fight.

There's something about manifesto commitments, tuition fees and the Lib Dems I can't quite put my finger on.

{Just a joke SD}

The whole situation here is an absolute joke to be honest. Most Labour voters want Labour to break their manifesto commitments around leaving the EU. It's a heck of a double standard.

The whole situation here is an absolute joke to be honest. Most Labour voters want Labour to break their manifesto commitments around leaving the EU. It's a heck of a double standard.

You know, it’s alright to disagree with the party and want them to change in the upcoming election. Their previous manifesto isn’t something they’re beholden to because they didn’t win. The problem comes when you get into power, and people want it, and you don’t deliver.

God do you really believe the reason for peace after world war 2 was because of the Eu?

Nobody with any understanding of history would go along with your notion that it's just a curious little coincidence that no Member States have so much as threatened to go to war with each other in 61 years.

Nobody with any understanding of history would go along with your notion that it's just a curious little coincidence that no Member States have so much as threatened to go to war with each other in 61 years.

Simply pointing out it is not a fact that the reaaon we have peace is because of the eu, as you implied.

The main reason for peace is imo after the second world war there was no reason or desire for further conflict, but there you go. If you believe the Eu has created some type of coca cola advert where all the little kids from Europe sit on a mountain top singing songs and drinking pop I'd be the last one interfere with the fairy tale in your head.

Meanwhile back in the real world..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-to-join-russian-drills-in-sign-of-growing-military-ties-1536595659

You know, it’s alright to disagree with the party and want them to change in the upcoming election. Their previous manifesto isn’t something they’re beholden to because they didn’t win. The problem comes when you get into power, and people want it, and you don’t deliver.

What if you're a minority partner and it's therefore literally impossible to deliver on everything in the manifesto? Yes, exactly.

Anyway, I look forward to Labour's next manifesto and the inevitable umming and ahhing over the inevitable soft Eurosceptism it will contain.

What if you're a minority partner and it's therefore literally impossible to deliver on everything in the manifesto? Yes, exactly.

All? Nah. Most crucial promises... it'd debatable. As we have done; I'd have let the Tories have a minority rather than reinforce their position. I know you wouldn't, that's valid. We just disagree.

Anyway, I look forward to Labour's next manifesto and the inevitable umming and ahhing over the inevitable soft Eurosceptism it will contain.

I think it might, because Corbyn comes from that tradition of thinking that Benn, Galloway, and others come from; and it's actually a position that's valid (not even us supporters of Europe think it's perfect) but they, in my view, do more damage than good. That said, Corbyn seems to be pretty much accepting that he can't have everything. I think it should be avoided that Labour get the blame for leaving Europe though. You know, considering it's not their fault and despite all parties campaigning against leaving, the country still voted to leave. By the time the next manifesto comes around, we will be gone. I think Corbyn will too.

The Chief Executive of Jaguar Land Rover has said he doesn't even know if they'll be able to operate in the UK after Brexit. That's at least 40,000 jobs there, add to the fact that he stated it's cheaper to make their vehicles in Slovakia then it's surely goodbye to them in any major employer capacity.

Edit: Coventry and it's surrounds all voted leave by big majorities. The irony of their jobs going shouldn't be lost on them.