You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

In fairness mate the remainers came out with just about as much of their own brand of shite. They are all culpable.

The remainers problem was that they had to defend the status quo, and for millions of people the status quo is shit. The leavers, however, were free to draw up their own reality.

• Upvote 3

Honda at Swindon receives 2m components per day thanks to free movement of goods. After a no deal Brexit, to store the minimum 9 days' worth of components on site, they would need to erect the 3rd-largest building on Earth: 300,000 sq m = 42 football pitches. (source: FT 26.6.18)

Honda at Swindon receives 2m components per day thanks to free movement of goods. After a no deal Brexit, to store the minimum 9 days' worth of components on site, they would need to erect the 3rd-largest building on Earth: 300,000 sq m = 42 football pitches. (source: FT 26.6.18)

Headline:

"Brexit Bonanza for British Builders"

The remainers problem was that they had to defend the status quo, and for millions of people the status quo is shit. The leavers, however, were free to draw up their own reality.

According to the then chancellor the following day after a leave vote we were suppose to have an emergency tax raising budget. They were all at it.

According to the then chancellor the following day after a leave vote we were suppose to have an emergency tax raising budget. They were all at it.

You’re assuming that business/treasury/government did nothing once the no vote came in. Billions have been spent unnecessarily to prevent fuck ups and plan for the shit storm.

Cameron should never have called it if planning was not in place for all eventualities. You cannot blame the electorate for expressing their opinion when asked.

If you want to get down to brass tacks we should blame those who voted Tory with a referendum pledge in a manifesto.

Brexit wll be a disaster mainly for reasons which have nothing to do with the actual leaving of the EU 'in principle'. These being (a) the EU can't afford to let us leave unscathed and (b ) the people leading the leave campaign are some of the most inept, disengenuous and outright scumlike 'politicians' probably in Britain's entire political history.

It's like me telling people i'm taking them to live in a new house if they vote to leave the current one, then once we're outdoors saying I have no idea where we're going or if in fact said house exists. Would that be the people's fault for voting?  Or mine for being a cunt?

This is why the 'turkeys voting for Christmas' stuff doesn't sit right with me. There was nothing inherently wrong or racist about wanting out of thje EU, but the way those who sold the dream behaved before and after caused - and will cause - all the problems.

• Upvote 3

You do have to laugh at the whole incompetence of it all. We've gone from the easiest deal in the world to "erm, perhaps we need to start stocking up on tinned goods and getting some boats with generators on in the Irish sea". I know the Tories considered shutting Liverpool down in the 80s but I didn't think they'd go for the whole country approach in the 21st century.

In this case, the turkeys are voting for Christmas thinking they can have all the benefits of Christmas without any of the costs.

That’s bullshit. Everyone knows there will be costs. People appear to be willing to pay it regardless if you agree with them or not.

That’s bullshit. Everyone knows there will be costs. People appear to be willing to pay it regardless if you agree with them or not.

Let’s see if they’re still willing to pay the price when the shit starts hitting the fan. I suspect not.

Brexit wll be a disaster mainly for reasons which have nothing to do with the actual leaving of the EU 'in principle'. These being (a) the EU can't afford to let us leave unscathed and (b ) the people leading the leave campaign are some of the most inept, disengenuous and outright scumlike 'politicians' probably in Britain's entire political history.

It's like me telling people i'm taking them to live in a new house if they vote to leave the current one, then once we're outdoors saying I have no idea where we're going or if in fact said house exists. Would that be the people's fault for voting?  Or mine for being a cunt?

This is why the 'turkeys voting for Christmas' stuff doesn't sit right with me. There was nothing inherently wrong or racist about wanting out of thje EU, but the way those who sold the dream behaved before and after caused - and will cause - all the problems.

It's a question that should never have been put to the electorate in the context of a political gamble by Cameron to win the election

Certainly not in the form of a simple binary option when as we have all seen the whole thing is so complex that no-one had any real idea of what Leave meant or the consequences

Opinions eh.

Some intelligent people I know are patriotic.

I know bollocks isn’t it.

They see this as standing up for Britain, fighting on the beaches and all that shite. The sacrifice is worth it for self governance and national pride. They could not give two fucks about the City and Honda.

Opinions eh.

They see this as standing up for Britain, fighting on the beaches and all that shite. The sacrifice is worth it for self governance and national pride. They could not give two fucks about the City and Honda.

No offence but they sound like some of my intelligent friends. Naive, and ever so slightly racist.

Opinions eh.

If that’s what they’re saying, I think you’d have to question their intelligence. They seem to be living in a bubble. Self governance and national pride? Wtf man?

Opinions eh.

Again, they are willing for others to make the sacrifice on their behalf. I guess that could be interpreted as intelligent in a Machiavellian way, but it sure as hell ain't patriotic.

That's simply not true, most of the leading leave politicians put forward the have our cake and eat it scenario at the referendum, the no deal Brexit was simply dismissed, the EU would cave in faced with the loss of one their most significant customers.

Difficult to avoid the conclusion that the Brexiteer political position has shifted from the referendum position of have our cake and eat it to the no deal martyr position. The 900 pages of this thread contain many leave supporters dismissing the impact of a no deal brexit.

None of them suggested we'd need to stockpile food. They've spent most of the last two years crowing about project fear and we now see the government preparing to contact the population advising them what to stockpile and planning to install mobile generators.

I think we get the idea that you don't agree with the decision or the direction of travel. Totally understand that. Not over the moon myself.

What we need is a progressive leader who can steer a way through this. I don't see one.

May. No

Boris. No

Gove. No

Mogg. No

Corbyn. No

Cable. No

We are fucked.