You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Like mine may not have anything in common with a smack head in Scotland?

Go live in gated community and throw scraps to the poor out your carriage as you pass. Voting in your own interest is one thing but having disdain for others is a typical Tory trait. Congratulations you are home.

• Downvote 1

Saying I have little in common with a farmer 2000 miles away is not the same a drug addict 300 miles away in your own nation.

I have no personal responsibility for the farmer but as a fellow citizen I hope my tax contributions would go some way to help the 'smackhead'.

Tax going to the destitute in your own nation would be a sore point for you I would imagine.

• Downvote 1

It's don't criticise anything, really.  Speak out against Brexit and you are silenced.

Come on mate. All we hear is doom and gloom. My opinion is massively outnumbered on here.

Plus to be honest the EU is a fantastic idea and if the system wasn’t like it is I would be a big supporter.

Sure. Where do i start? You advocate a migrant work force that would be working in (invariably) poor conditions, for long hours, on the lowest possible pay. You endorse this by saying that they'd "have it worse in their own countries", so therefore it's fine, totally excusable.

No care whatsoever about what it would do to our workforce. How it would cause rising unemployment as more and more people come in, with only the same amount of jobs on offer.

No care about the erosion of employee rights either, because "it's not a career, it's just something you do during the summer with your mates for a lark". Like getting up at 4am every day, to work long hours of physical labour, to put food on the table, for virtually nothing, is A. valueless and B. something you just do for fun. 

This is all predicated so you can get something a bit cheaper in the supermarket. Which ties in perfectly with your obsession with free market forces. I've seen your thoughts on Port Talbot Steel. You're exactly like Thatcher. You would've been right behind Thatcher with the shutting down of the pits. Your hatred for various Trade Unions, and the fact that you refer to such people as 'Trotskyist entrants', only further establishes this truth.

The only freedom you support is the subjugation of the work force to the benefit of the employer, and that's it. You call yourself a democrat and then refuse to accept a democratic vote. You claim i'm using "dehumanising" language, when you call people on here cretins all the time, and far worse. Like always, entirely hypocritical, and as wriggly as a snake.

So much bullshit in such a short post. Congratulations.

First off, "invariably poor conditions". Are you even going to attempt to support that claim? This is a developed country with established legal standards. You seem to be living in some bizarre caricature of Victorian England.

Secondly, you would remove the opportunity for migrants to enjoy better jobs here than at home, because their (imagined) working conditions offend you. How about you let them make that choice rather than making it for them? Who do you think you are?

Thirdly: no care about what it would do to "our" workforce? Who is "our"? Are migrants not human beings exactly like us?

And fourthly, why don't you explain how migrant labour "causes rising unemployment" among "our" people because there are "only the same amount of jobs on offer"? I know you are talking bullshit here.Try to find a single credible economist who backs you up on that one, why don't you. You won't, for the simple reason that the number of jobs in the economy is not a zero sum. This is called the lump of labour fallacy, and it was debunked in the 19th century. That's how ignorant you are.

Fifthly: another red herring about "erosion of employee rights". A pitiful straw man. You invent opinions I don't hold, then attack them. Bravo.

Sixthly, what is wrong with getting things cheaper in the supermarket? Do you think nice things should only be available to a limited number of people who can afford them? I think they should be available to as many people as possible.

Seventh: My views on Port Talbot steel, which you've brought up before. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about that one. Needless to say, I disagree with using taxpayer money to prop up the profits of failing private companies. The world makes too much steel, and others do it more economically than we do. Guilty as charged of not being a nationalist. If government has money to spend there, it should spend it retraining steel workers to do something else, not delaying the inevitable.

Eighth: coal mining. You're damn right I agree with the phasing out of filthy fossil fuels. Apparently this makes a person "exactly like Thatcher", which will no doubt come as a surprise to other opponents of coal, like George Monbiot. 

Ninth: I couldn't find any reference to me describing trade unionists as "Trotskyist entrants" or anything like that. An invention.

Tenth: subjugation of the workforce? You're a fiction merchant. I get it - you oppose free trade, I support it. 

Eleventh: refuse to accept a democratic vote? Ah, this is about Brexit, isn't it. Another lie. I accept the result, but that doesn't mean I won't stop making the argument that Brexit is a colossal mistake and historic error.

Twelve: "Cretin" isn't a dehumanising term. It means idiot, and it accurately describes the way you wear economic ignorance as a badge of honour.

Honda UK telling MPs it imports 2 million components a day from Europe on 350 trucks and holds 1 hours worth of stock. It would take 18 months to put customs admin in place but every 15 minutes of delay would cost £850,000 a hour. That's not including WTO tariffs of 10% and 4.5%.

From previous posts I believe Stronts is a member of a Union and has stood on picket lines Boss.

Let us not over-egg the pudding here. When I'm not indulging in my favourite hobby of subjugating the workforce, I have been known, as a member of a trade union for the past decade and a half, to partake in the occasional industrial action. And while I have never crossed a picket line, I have no recollection of spending any significant amount of time on the picket.

Come on mate. All we hear is doom and gloom. My opinion is massively outnumbered on here.

Plus to be honest the EU is a fantastic idea and if the system wasn’t like it is I would be a big supporter.

I mean in the world at large, not here.  This thread is a rare sanctuary of common sense in a sea of fuckwittery.

Whatever fee we could negotiate to remain in the free market and keep the customs union would be a solid and worthwhile investment in my opinion. Politically I doubt they have the balls to do it.

There's a very easy way of staying in the single market and customs union, by staying in the EU.  

So much bullshit in such a short post. Congratulations.

First off, "invariably poor conditions". Are you even going to attempt to support that claim? This is a developed country with established legal standards. You seem to be living in some bizarre caricature of Victorian England.

Secondly, you would remove the opportunity for migrants to enjoy better jobs here than at home, because their (imagined) working conditions offend you. How about you let them make that choice rather than making it for them? Who do you think you are?

Thirdly: no care about what it would do to "our" workforce? Who is "our"? Are migrants not human beings exactly like us?

And fourthly, why don't you explain how migrant labour "causes rising unemployment" among "our" people because there are "only the same amount of jobs on offer"? I know you are talking bullshit here.Try to find a single credible economist who backs you up on that one, why don't you. You won't, for the simple reason that the number of jobs in the economy is not a zero sum. This is called the lump of labour fallacy, and it was debunked in the 19th century. That's how ignorant you are.

Fifthly: another red herring about "erosion of employee rights". A pitiful straw man. You invent opinions I don't hold, then attack them. Bravo.

Sixthly, what is wrong with getting things cheaper in the supermarket? Do you think nice things should only be available to a limited number of people who can afford them? I think they should be available to as many people as possible.

Seventh: My views on Port Talbot steel, which you've brought up before. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about that one. Needless to say, I disagree with using taxpayer money to prop up the profits of failing private companies. The world makes too much steel, and others do it more economically than we do. Guilty as charged of not being a nationalist. If government has money to spend there, it should spend it retraining steel workers to do something else, not delaying the inevitable.

Eighth: coal mining. You're damn right I agree with the phasing out of filthy fossil fuels. Apparently this makes a person "exactly like Thatcher", which will no doubt come as a surprise to other opponents of coal, like George Monbiot. 

Ninth: I couldn't find any reference to me describing trade unionists as "Trotskyist entrants" or anything like that. An invention.

Tenth: subjugation of the workforce? You're a fiction merchant. I get it - you oppose free trade, I support it. 

Eleventh: refuse to accept a democratic vote? Ah, this is about Brexit, isn't it. Another lie. I accept the result, but that doesn't mean I won't stop making the argument that Brexit is a colossal mistake and historic error.

Twelve: "Cretin" isn't a dehumanising term. It means idiot, and it accurately describes the way you wear economic ignorance as a badge of honour.

Are you Jacob Rees Mogg?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean in the world at large, not here.  This thread is a rare sanctuary of common sense in a sea of fuckwittery.

There's a very easy way of staying in the single market and customs union, by staying in the EU.

This is not me being a twat for the sake of it but are you happy to give up any grasp of accountability that we have over our politicians.

As Benn says in that clip I posted earlier the Prime Minister would soon become the Mayor of the Greater British Authority.

The working class chumps and bigots (who many on here seem to think of them) have changed our country for the better and are already beginning to see the benefits of voting against the status quo.

Cameron has gone Osborne has gone, the Tories are in disarray and the media can no longer laugh in the face of Corbyns policies. All because the political kaleidoscope took a shake.

The recent govt backtracking on public servants pay, tuition fees etc would not have happened without the political earthquake that resulted from the leave vote.

We’ve done this a million times, they’ve never been in. Completely different situation.

Also they aren’t in the customs union and are inside shengen.

Here’s what the Norwegian PM thinks.

https://twitter.com/brexitcentral/status/927958846630268928

I was in Romania last week in a place called Oradea. There’s loads of manufacturing there, lots of outsourcing too. At the border, and it’s just one of many border crossings, the customs queues were over a mile long in each direction.

The answers you provided there could well have come from his mouth but of course if people disagree with you you revert to that intelligent riposte of 'you're thick'.

I feel wounded by your sabre like wit.

You're not thick for disagreeing with me. You're thick for making a series of exceptionally stupid statements. The latest exceptionally stupid statement being that Jacob Rees-Mogg would share my views on things like migrant fruit pickers or the referendum. His views on things like that are in fact much closer to Boss's, something you would know if you had half a clue what you were talking about.

Also they aren’t in the customs union and are inside shengen.

Here’s what the Norwegian PM thinks. https://twitter.com/brexitcentral/status/927958846630268928

I was in Romania last week in a place called Oradea. There’s loads of manufacturing there, lots of outsourcing too. At the border, and it’s just one of many border crossings, the customs queues were over a mile long in each direction.

I’m not suggesting there is an off the peg solution but this is where skilled negotiators would come in handy. In my opinion it would be worth the cost to pay exactly what we pay now but remove ourselves from the political union and end the free movement of people. Not because I agree with it but it is a political necessity.

Even if they fudged it and called it a 10 year transition strategy a decent leader down the line would hopefully cement it.