You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I remember speaking to an Italian colleague years ago about why in Italy at that point the E.U. was so venerated in comparison to domestic rule, his response was 'have you seen our governments? We know they are corrupt and incompetent, the more the E.U. does for us the better, The British should be the same but your population is more stupid'

I think I challenged him at the time stating that more of our public read newspapers and their T.V. was crap and full of idiots. This was prior to my political awakening, can't help but feel now he was probably right.

So your Italian mate runs from one corrupt government into the arms of another. And that makes sense to you?

Why didn't he instead do what he could to speak out about domestic corruption? Use his vote accordingly?

It sounds like you're suggesting the EU is the lesser of two evils. That's not a good advert for the EU.

This is really strange because thechap comes across as being a native Englishman whilst Naz is a Hindu. He's really getting into character here which I now begrudgingly admire.

Yeah I am Hindu - it isn't a character, that's what I genuinely am.

I'd fuck expensive, corrupt politicians off. Instead I'd have chickens, one for every constituency. I'd throw them into the main chamber with a load of chicken food (equally distributed) and using technology I'd count those on the left as 'aye' and those on the right as 'nay'

Free-range-hens.jpg

"Order, ORDER!"

So your Italian mate runs from one corrupt government into the arms of another. And that makes sense to you?

Why didn't he instead do what he could to speak out about domestic corruption? Use his vote accordingly?

It sounds like you're suggesting the EU is the lesser of two evils. That's not a good advert for the EU.

He was in the UK to come to an internationally renowned research center I'm pretty sure his prime motivation was not a political one.

The later point is not what I'm advocating, the E.U. while having faults basically try's its best to improve the lives of it's citizens and improve its most deprived areas and environment, the Conservative government/ Conservative led governments are manifestly not interested in doing that. 

Here's the Vote Leave campaign director with some interesting admissions about how the Referendum was won.

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/vote-leave-director-admits-won-lied-public/08/02/

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/dominic-cummings-brexit-referendum-won/

If Boris, Gove, and Gisela had not supported us and picked up the baseball bat marked ‘Turkey/NHS/£350 million’ with five weeks to go, then 650,000 votes might have been lost...

Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No...

Lots of people said to me ‘when are you going to set out the details of the UK-EU trade relationship if you win?’ What would have been the point of that?! Approximately nobody knows anything about the important details of how the EU works including the MPs who have spent years talking about it and the journalists who cover it – indeed, often those who talk about it most are the most ignorant (and most overconfident). This is still true six months after the vote – imagine how much more true it was in the six months before the vote...

The media is obsessed with process and the snakes and ladders of careers. Many hacks said to me words to the effect: ‘I don’t care about the issues, I care about whether Cameron will still be PM at the end of the year.’ We could not match No10 in the golden currency of ‘names’. But we could give the media an even more valuable currency – a leadership story. When Boris and Gove decided to go for it after 29 May  immigration numbers, we launched the story of ‘the alternative government’.

The media were understandably obsessed with this story so we served it up to them in such a way that they also had to cover our message. For 10 days, we dominated the news with a set of stories on the Australian points system, VAT on fuel, Turkey, the NHS and so on all based on ‘it’s safer to take back control’. Broadcasters lapped it up – even ITV News which barely pretended to be impartial was useful.

What did the public hear? They heard that prominent Conservatives, particularly Boris and Gove, did not trust Cameron’s promises or warnings and that there was an alternative path – we could ‘take back control’, have ‘an Australian style immigration system’, and ‘spend our money on our priorities like the NHS’. In an environment in which the central arguments concerning trade and the economy were incomprehensible to the ‘experts’ themselves and the history and dynamics of the EU either unknown to or suppressed by broadcasters, people chose between two simple stories. Vote Leave’s was more psychologically compelling, given the three powerful forces at work and No10’s errors.

Watching the Politics show after Question Time last nigh Portillo was saying that the Government clearly want as little change as possible in the UK's relationship to the EU and want to remain in the Single Market and Customs Union...all of their shite about a hard Brexit being a bluff in the negotiations

Not sure I buy it but I hope he's right

Guest Pistonbroke

Watching the Politics show after Question Time last nigh Portillo was saying that the Government clearly want as little change as possible in the UK's relationship to the EU and want to remain in the Single Market and Customs Union...all of their shite about a hard Brexit being a bluff in the negotiations

Not sure I buy it but I hope he's right

There's no doubt some truth to what Portillo said, they want something they can't have but thought they could get. No way are the EU stupid enough to give them it, they were/are probably open to certain things being negotiated but not on the membership of the single market without freedom of movement. The Government have now forced themselves into a corner to save face with those who voted leave, they are prepared to go along with a Hard Brexit without a plan and will hope to blame the EU for their own incompetence, the leave voters are gullible enough to accept the lies. 

Be interesting to see what happens in the French elections, if Pepe Le Pew gets in and they have their own referendum the EU could basically turn into Germany and its back yard. Considering the yanks are already acting quite adversarial with the Germans too, it could really change the picture a lot in terms of the established order.  

Be interesting to see what happens in the French elections, if Pepe Le Pew gets in and they have their own referendum the EU could basically turn into Germany and its back yard. Considering the yanks are already acting quite adversarial with the Germans too, it could really change the picture a lot in terms of the established order.  

if the NF get in in france it will mean the collapse of the european union. trump and putin will be delighted.