You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Importing costs for Typhoo Tea have gone up 50% because of the pound's woes. Expect the cost of your cuppa to go up across the board as I don't think tea is grown in the UK.

Any news on the price of Yorkshire Tea? 

If that has gone up a similar amount I'm going to set fire to Sunderland.

Very happy to answer this reasonably put response.

Of course simply refunding tariffs would be illegal so could not be done. Not aimed at you mate but I should have put my point in more explanatory terms rather than expect people to think laterally, ie intelligently.

Like a clever accountant who can make a company profit look like a loss and vice versa, there would be huge scope for a government to get the tariff charges back to exporters other than by illegally simply paying the equivalent amount of cash back.  Government grants could easily be provided to exporters for anything from energy saving grants to training grants or apprenticeship grants to grants for infrastructure improvements that would benefit an exporter. The only limit on the ways to pay back, in the form of grants, tariffs paid out by a company is accountants' imagination.

All legally done.  I'm not saying it would be done overnight but with careful planning and execution, a hell of a lot of the costs to UK exporters of EU tariffs could be mitigated and the UK woukl still be in profit to the tune of a few billion from the tariffs we would charge on EU exports to us. I don't work for the government or civil service creating grant schemes so don't ask me to describe the detailed mechanics involved.

Or the EU could decide that the imposing of tariffs would be bad for everyone and agree not to do it.

Anyway, thanks for making your point in a civil tone.

Renault are Nissan's partners so there will be no deals that the Europeans wont find out about

"Creative " accounting , tax breaks you name it wont disguise subsidies and the German car makers in particular will be all over any deal that UK government make with Nissan UK,  Its all been tried before in various industries from non EU countries and the European Commission are well versed in applying protectionist measures, The US are even more shit hot,

Its a smoke screen to buy some time 

Renault are Nissan's partners so there will be no deals that the Europeans wont find out about

"Creative " accounting , tax breaks you name it wont disguise subsidies and the German car makers in particular will be all over any deal that UK government make with Nissan UK,  Its all been tried before in various industries from non EU countries and the European Commission are well versed in applying protectionist measures, The US are even more shit hot,

Its a smoke screen to buy some time

And after a shit version of TTIP has been panicked through to demonstrate that treaties can be made, then Nissan will be able to sue the UK government for any perceived non-delivery of promised subsidies

And after a shit version of TTIP has been panicked through to demonstrate that treaties can be made, then Nissan will be able to sue the UK government for any perceived non-delivery of promised subsidies

There wont be any trade deal done by this government. If negotiations do get going earnest ,and I still have my doubts, there will be an an extension agreed to our membership for 4 or 5 years then an election with the Tories seeking a mandate to finish the job, That's 7 years with no restrictions on migration even if it goes to plan, As I keep saying it will unravel and we're ,likely to see an early election, Its then everyone needs to mobilise to kick these fuckers out

Not having that. You clearly consider yourself far more enlightened than any "stupid" Leave voter. Yet, it seems, you weren't sure yourself only a few months ago if you too were also "stupid". And, let's face it, racist, swivel-eyed, fascist, thick, cunt, etc...

I respect the 'you' from a few months ago who, being unsure how he would vote, wanted to look into the arguments from both sides even though the core principles of both sides were bare and obvious. Maybe you meant 'look into' the finer detail I don't know because you SURELY couldn't have meant those core principles that even the most stupid of the stupid was aware of.

Fast forward to you now and you are full of contempt.  Do you hold any contempt for the 'you' of a few months ago who was contemplating voting for Leave?

Where do I begin?

1.  I have never said that all Leave voters are "racist, swivel-eyed, fascist, thick, cunt" or any of that nonsense.  I have said - quite a few times, that not all Leave voters are racist, but all racists supported the vote to Leave.

2.  I think the vote to Leave was against the interests of the overwhelming majority of people in this country and - from the scant evidence we have - appears to have been motivated by belief in obvious lies. That's why I think voting Leave was a stupid thing to do.

3.  The vote was not about what you call "core principles".  The question was should the UK leave or remain in the EU.  Before anyone can make a decision on that, they have to try to understand what the EU is and what the consequences of leaving are likely to be.  The more you look at that, the more obvious it becomes that leaving is a stupid idea.

4.  I'm not full of contempt for people who voted Leave (although, obviously, some have earned my contempt for other reasons).  I think they were gulled into doing something against their own interests.  I'm not going to gloat over their misfortune when the consequences of their vote bite them on the arse: that would be a cunt's trick.  (And, yes, I am calling some Remain voters cunts for that.)

5.  I don't have any contempt at all for anyone who looked at both sides of the argument with an open mind, chose to seek out facts rather than the noise of propaganda, and weighed the costs, benefits and risks of leaving or staying before casting their vote.  That is exactly the way people should approach an important referendum; unfortunately, the way this campaign was conducted by both sides - and by the media - didn't encourage that.

• Upvote 1

Someone want to decipher this? Essentially the Nissan deal is us eventually staying in the EU because the EU27 are not going to back down on freedom of movement?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/30/nissan-eu-tariff-free-brexit-sunderland

UK seeking tariff-free EU deal for carmakers, Nissan told

Nissan was told the UK was seeking an EU deal that would mean no tariffs for car manufacturers and no bureaucratic impediments to trading, Greg Clark, the business secretary, has revealed.

Clark said he wrote to Nissan with a series of four assurances as he went “all out” to allay concerns about Brexit and convince the company to build its next two models in Sunderland.

The government has been under pressure for days to reveal what it promised Nissan to secure the investment and whether there would be any implications for taxpayers in future.

Nissan throws UK car industry a lifeline but GM could hit the road

Read more

Three days after the deal was announced, Clark revealed on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show he had told Nissan the government was confident of getting a deal that would mean the whole car industry remained competitive.

Advertisement

That suggests No 10 is seeking a free trade relationship similar to the single market and customs union. At the same time, Theresa May has said she wants greater immigration controls and freedom from the oversight of the European court of justice; a combination of aims that Brussels politicians have repeatedly said is unachievable.

Clark said: “Our intention, our negotiating remit, when it comes to the discussions with our European partners is to have a constructive dialogue and look for the common interest here. Our objective would be to ensure we have continued access to the markets in Europe and vice versa without tariffs and bureaucratic impediments, and that is how we will approach those negotiations.”

He suggested that this applied to the car industry in general, and possibly other major sectors of UK business.

Business Secretary Greg Clark on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday.

Business Secretary Greg Clark on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday. Photograph: Reuters

The government repeatedly refused to confirm it had given Nissan any written guarantees last week, but Clark revealed on Sunday that he had sent the carmaker a letter containing four assurances. He said the promises included a continuation of funds for training and skills, regional relocation grants, scientific research and keeping the industry competitive at the point the UK leaves the EU.

Advertisement

On the promise relating to Brexit, he said the UK could not know the outcome of negotiations with the other 27 members but it was “very important that we make a commitment to keep competitive the UK industry” through the government’s industrial strategy. The business secretary said there was no specific promise to compensate Nissan or other carmakers if they did face tariffs because that would not be allowed under competition laws.

Clark’s interview immediately led to criticism that the government has been telling industry more about No 10’s negotiating aims that the UK electorate. Keir Starmer, Labour’s shadow Brexit secretary, told ITV’s Peston on Sunday that Nissan “has been told more about it than we have in parliament,” adding that the government had “got to come clean”.

The senior Labour MP also accused the prime minister of prioritising greater immigration controls over the health of the UK economy as she headed towards triggering Brexit early next year.

Nissan is an early sign of the downturns and the divisions Brexit could bring | Will Hutton

Read more

Starmer said the government still needed to disclose the terms of any deal struck with Nissan.

He said he intended to seek an urgent question in the Commons on Monday to try and compel ministers to reveal any guarantees that they may have given.

Advertisement

“There may be a financial element to it – I accept that. They say no money is changing hands,” he told Peston On Sunday.

“I don’t know. We need to know and I’m going to try and raise this in parliament … because something has been said.

“It’s good Nissan are investing, of course it’s good, but there are other businesses up and down the country of every size and every sort that need (reassurance).”

A key question for May will now be whether she is willing for the UK to continue paying into the EU budget in order to secure tariff-free trade without bureaucratic customs checks.

Nadhim Zahawi, a leading Brexit supporter and Conservative MP for Stratford-upon-Avon, wrote in the Mail on Sunday that paying a proportion of the UK’s annual £8.5bn would be worth it for favourable trading arrangements combined with freedom from the EU’s immigration rules and the jurisdiction of its courts.

“I was one of those who campaigned to leave, but the government should be absolutely clear that our motive is not for the European Union to fail – we just don’t think it is right for us,” he wrote.

“That is why we should pay a proportion of the £8.5bn that we will save through leaving back into its budget. We should help bridge some of the EU’s funding gap, but only on the condition that the EU delivers our demand of providing British businesses with tariff-free access to the single market.”

Guest Pistonbroke

It just shows the complex problems the UK will face if they leave the EU, it's only the tip of the iceberg. Many businesses will be looking for similar reassurances/deals. That all costs money, eating into anything the UK will save by leaving the Union. Smaller businesses will more than likely be told that they have to fend for themselves leading to many folding and resulting in job losses. This is also just to retain businesses that are already in the UK, new trade deals and tempting businesses to choose the UK in the future will be a lot more expensive. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I read a report from the Guardian this morning and this quote caught my eye. (the whole article can be found here https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/30/nissan-eu-tariff-free-brexit-sunderland )

A key question for May will now be whether she is willing for the UK to continue paying into the EU budget in order to secure tariff-free trade without bureaucratic customs checks.

Nadhim Zahawi, a leading Brexit supporter and Conservative MP for Stratford-upon-Avon, wrote in the Mail on Sunday that paying a proportion of the UK’s annual £8.5bn would be worth it for favourable trading arrangements combined with freedom from the EU’s immigration rules and the jurisdiction of its courts.

“I was one of those who campaigned to leave, but the government should be absolutely clear that our motive is not for the European Union to fail – we just don’t think it is right for us,” he wrote.

“That is why we should pay a proportion of the £8.5bn that we will save through leaving back into its budget. We should help bridge some of the EU’s funding gap, but only on the condition that the EU delivers our demand of providing British businesses with tariff-free access to the single market.”

Wow. You are another SD. You are a horrible, truly horrible individual.

Funny really, for someone who at the start of the thread they "couldn't give a fuck if the UK left the EU" you have a hell of a lot to say and abuse to throw around about Brexit, Brexit voters and the future of the UK after Brexit.

Your constant vile abuse marks you out as being not very smart or nice.

Good day.

These posts are becoming a re occurring theme around the forum hey Piston?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1