You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I hope all of them and I hope the government tells them that they will reimburse their tariffs from the money we make from tariffs against EU companies. We would still be a few billion better off doing nothing more than giving our firms government support that goes on elsewhere around the EU and around the world.

Hahahahahaha!

Hahahahahaha!

Haha!

Ha!

...I refer you back to my post where I'm (now) bemused by leave voters plucking facts out of their arse. This post is one such post. Any chance you could pluck the lottery numbers out of your arse?

I hope all of them and I hope the government tells them that they will reimburse their tariffs from the money we make from tariffs against EU companies. We would still be a few billion better off doing nothing more than giving our firms government support that goes on elsewhere around the EU and around the world.

I don't engage in abuse but what you suggest is illegal . Its against WTO rules and companies receiving subsidies are likely ( in the case if Europe very likely) to be the subject of complaints by domestic producers in the countries where the goods are coming in .If the complaints were upheld additional dumping or counterveiling duties are applied, These can be penal and will be at the very least the value of the subsidy deemed to given . In addition to normal duties, If they invoke safeguard measures( in tariff terms this is going nuclear) the the sky's the limit. 50 percent plus not unheard of .   

I have no idea what Nissan have been promised but it wont be a simple "government pays the duty" and is undoubtedly why they are desperate to keep it confidential , It will leak out and the thing will unravel . This government are making it up as they go along and buying time where they can

I'm not happy with the way these WTO types are throwing their weight around, telling us what we can and can't do with our tariffs. I think we should leave and then lay down the law to them. We're Great Britain so they'll give us a sweet deal.

Millions believed that. Hard to believe really.given the low esteem politicians are held., Why would anyone take any the bullshit at face value especially from the likes of Farage and Johnson

Millions believed that. Hard to believe really.given the low esteem politicians are held., Why would anyone take any the bullshit at face value especially from the likes of Farage and Johnson

Farage and Johnson were believed and trusted precisely because they weren't seen as regular politicians. Amazing the leeway being a bit flamboyant can get you.

Guest Pistonbroke

Wow. You are another SD. You are a horrible, truly horrible individual.

Funny really, for someone who at the start of the thread they "couldn't give a fuck if the UK left the EU" you have a hell of a lot to say and abuse to throw around about Brexit, Brexit voters and the future of the UK after Brexit.

Your constant vile abuse marks you out as being not very smart or nice.

Good day.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. 

Basically, fuck off you hypocritical tedious jizz stain. 

I'm not here to sort your life out

Realise your own stupidity and fix it yourself, you fucking moron

No, please, finish the job. If by doing so you "sort my life out" I would be grateful.

What "really stupid things" am I "stupid enough to encourage thick people to do"?  You are obviously a lot smarter than I am so you'll be able to list at least some these "really stupid things" quite easily, I'm sure.

Over to you.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. 

Basically, fuck off you hypocritical tedious jizz stain. 

Ignoring the insult, why are you so vociferous on the subject when you don't give a fuck about it?

You seem so stressed and angry about it that it can't be doing you any good. How angry do you get over issues you DO give a fuck about?

Guest Pistonbroke

Ignoring the insult, why are you so vociferous on the subject when you don't give a fuck about it?

You seem so stressed and angry about it that it can't be doing you any good. How angry do you get over issues you DO give a fuck about?

I have my reasons, read back through the thread and you will find them. 

I am far from stressed and angry, I just treat knob heads like NJ and yourself with the disdain you deserve. 

You should take a look at what you post yourself. 

I don't engage in abuse but what you suggest is illegal . Its against WTO rules and companies receiving subsidies are likely ( in the case if Europe very likely) to be the subject of complaints by domestic producers in the countries where the goods are coming in .If the complaints were upheld additional dumping or counterveiling duties are applied, These can be penal and will be at the very least the value of the subsidy deemed to given . In addition to normal duties, If they invoke safeguard measures( in tariff terms this is going nuclear) the the sky's the limit. 50 percent plus not unheard of .   

I have no idea what Nissan have been promised but it wont be a simple "government pays the duty" and is undoubtedly why they are desperate to keep it confidential , It will leak out and the thing will unravel . This government are making it up as they go along and buying time where they can

Very happy to answer this reasonably put response.

Of course simply refunding tariffs would be illegal so could not be done. Not aimed at you mate but I should have put my point in more explanatory terms rather than expect people to think laterally, ie intelligently.

Like a clever accountant who can make a company profit look like a loss and vice versa, there would be huge scope for a government to get the tariff charges back to exporters other than by illegally simply paying the equivalent amount of cash back.  Government grants could easily be provided to exporters for anything from energy saving grants to training grants or apprenticeship grants to grants for infrastructure improvements that would benefit an exporter. The only limit on the ways to pay back, in the form of grants, tariffs paid out by a company is accountants' imagination.

All legally done.  I'm not saying it would be done overnight but with careful planning and execution, a hell of a lot of the costs to UK exporters of EU tariffs could be mitigated and the UK woukl still be in profit to the tune of a few billion from the tariffs we would charge on EU exports to us. I don't work for the government or civil service creating grant schemes so don't ask me to describe the detailed mechanics involved.

Or the EU could decide that the imposing of tariffs would be bad for everyone and agree not to do it.

Anyway, thanks for making your point in a civil tone.

Government grants could easily be provided to exporters for anything from energy saving grants to training grants or apprenticeship grants to grants for infrastructure improvements that would benefit an exporter. The only limit on the ways to pay back, in the form of grants, tariffs paid out by a company is accountants' imagination.

If that's the case then why not make public the details of the Nissan deal?  I recall arguing with you about the strength of the UK's negotiating position.  Yet here we have a situation where a landmark deal has been made with no details made public (except for the good parts, of course).  

Wow.

Was thinking of getting a Mac as well. I wonder if Hammond will give me the £100 back that Apple have just hiked as a result of the weakened pound.

Given that we'll still be a few billion quid better off like.

I have my reasons, read back through the thread and you will find them. 

I am far from stressed and angry, I just treat knob heads like NJ and yourself with the disdain you deserve. 

You should take a look at what you post yourself. 

So you're saying you do give a fuck now? What happened mate? Why change your mind to a polar opposite view?

You're very stressed and angry. So is SD. Anyone who responds to others' posts so angrily is stressed.

Seriously mate, you need to take some deep breaths before you post. You'll feel better. Breathing technique can help with a lot of things. Try it.

If that's the case then why not make public the details of the Nissan deal?  I recall arguing with you about the strength of the UK's negotiating position.  Yet here we have a situation where a landmark deal has been made with no details made public (except for the good parts, of course).  

What was 'landmark'? Neither Nissan or the Government have mentioned a deal. 

You can bet the the German, Italian, Spanish and French governments are talking to their car manufactures as well as ours has been, assuring them that their Governments want to protect their industry from unnecessary harm. And why wouldn't they? I can imagine why the government and Nissan might not want to disclose the details of the conversation and my first thought is that it might affect negotiations once Article 50 is invoked. Just a guess but probably a good one and as I am keen for the UK to secure the best possible deal, I couldn't give a toss that the details aren't disclosed. Rather I'm very happy at this huge and significant success story.

Nissan have announced that Brexit hasn't stopped them from expanding their UK operation and hugely further investing in this country.  You would think it would be good news to all. Not to all though - to some it's sinister. Weird priorities, some people.

See? A pleasant conversation can be had when people don't abuse or sarcastically insult others.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What was 'landmark'? Neither Nissan or the Government have mentioned a deal. 

You can bet the the German, Italian, Spanish and French governments are talking to their car manufactures as well as ours has been, assuring them that their Governments want to protect their industry from unnecessary harm. And why wouldn't they? I can imagine why the government and Nissan might not want to disclose the details of the conversation and my first thought is that it might affect negotiations once Article 50 is invoked. Just a guess but probably a good one and as I am keen for the UK to secure the best possible deal, I couldn't give a toss that the details aren't disclosed. Rather I'm very happy at this huge and significant success story.

Nissan have announced that Brexit hasn't stopped them from expanding their UK operation and hugely further investing in this country.  You would think it would be good news to all. Not to all though - to some it's sinister. Weird priorities, some people.

See? A pleasant conversation can be had when people don't abuse or sarcastically insult others.

How do you know if it's the "best possible deal" if the details aren't disclosed?  How are you able to proclaim it as a success story in circumstances where the government won't disclose anything about it apart from the good parts? 

I'm not stressed and angry, I just think you're a cunt.

Happy to clarify.

I'd advise you to pause from eating crisps and picking your nose to take some deep breaths but as I realised years ago with you Stronty, you are well past saving. If there's one person on this whole forum who deserves no luck, it's you because you're an awful human being.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How do you know if it's the "best possible deal" if the details aren't disclosed?  How are you able to proclaim it as a success story in circumstances where the government won't disclose anything about it apart from the good parts? 

I never said this was. I am confident that it's a great outcome.

The non-disclosure of the details is, I believe, being used mischievously by the Remain camp and is a red-herring. Unless I've missed a Brexiteer (in the media) complaining about the announcement, no prominent Brexiteer has complained.   The issue seems to be another anti-Brexit stick with which to beat the government with.

As those complaining about not knowing the details know or should know, details of government conversations with industry are sometimes commercially sensitive. Given what negotiations are coming up in the next two years, those details quite likely are even more sensitive.

To put it back to you, are you not happy that thousands of UK jobs have been secured as has many millions of pounds worth of exports? Why would anyone view such an announcement as not a success? (For the avoidance of doubt and preventing an argument, I am not saying YOU don't.  I haven't trawled all your posts on the issue because I'm not that sad. You may well view it as a success, you may not - I don't know but I would like to know)

• Upvote 1