You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I think my opinions are pretty well documented in my past posts and I don't think anyone who has read them, would think I'd be in favour of an organisation that costs us a huge sum of money and is presided over by a body that not one member of the general public has voted for.

Even if you disagree with the £350 million per week figure that we lose and go with the more conservative £140 million a week. That is still over £9 billion a year. That is over x9 what we spent on flood defences last year (annually storm and flood damage costs this country £1.1 billion according to the British National Insurer Association (or whatever its called) and nearly x3 what we spent on the police force last year. 

Why when council budgets have been slashed by up to 40% since 2010, should we be giving away a minimum of £9 billion a year?

Why when we have around 1 million unemployed people should we have free movement of people?

Bank of England are pumping £250bn into the banking system to shore it up short-term as a result of what's happened today. Puts your £9bn in perspective

You'll be free of England this time next year mate. Maybe Boris will build a wall like Trump is claiming he'll do on the US border with Mexico.

Let me jump over the bloody thing before it gets to high.

Just had a quick look and think im able to grab a Irish passport (Mum,Grandad, Granny all born in Belfast am i right?)

Of so im very bloody tempted

Just a shame the leave campaign are already backtracking on that imaginary 350 million being used for things like the NHS.

Did anyone actually believe the £350 million figure? I didn't.

Do people not do any research?

Do people seriously just make up their mind on an issue and then blindly believe everything that their chosen side/party believes?

BBC literature has shown that we lose around half of what we put into the EU (that is after all the rebates and investment from the EU). So it's not a matter of if it costs us money, it's of how much.

Controversial opinion. Fuck the NHS, that thing is a bloated bureaucratic nightmare, with spiralling costs (like the example of the NHS spending £89.50 on the same amount of cod liver oil capsusles the public could buy for £3.50) that far outweigh the level of treatment you receive (having had relatives die in hospital, cancer scares, confirmed cancer (one dead/one recovered) and many other issues, the only thing that links all experiences is the awful treatment/service). 

We need to go the way of private insurance, with government subsided support for the poorest. But that is another topic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Some major histrionics going on among the youngsters in the office today, racists and old people have ruined our lives, our lives I tells ye! 

Brief period of punishment beatings from the EU and IMF then a year from now nobody will give a fuck. 

They will give a fuck in two years when Johnson & his cronies start cutting off the poor like a diseased limb.

Bank of England are pumping £250bn into the banking system to shore it up short-term as a result of what's happened today. Puts your £9bn in perspective

How many years have we been losing money?

How many industries such as Fishing have been devastated by the EU?

How much lower are wages now because of the influx of low skilled labour?

How much better could we of done in trade deals if we didn't have to come to an agreement with the EU that has to look out for the interests of 28 separate and differing economies?

How well has the Euro done as a currency?

Because before the vote on the Euro the majority of financial institutions and economists were in favour of joining the Euro and predicted terrible, nasty things, just like they did before this vote? 

Did anyone actually believe the £350 million figure? I didn't.

Do people not do any research?

Do people seriously just make up their mind on an issue and then blindly believe everything that their chosen side/party

Yes, people clearly do otherwise they wouldn't have voted on those promises that were taken back before all the votes were counted.

It's incredible the mess that has resulted from the order of the various elections.

The General Election consolidated and strengthened the Tories grip on Parliament, significantly weakened Labour and all but decimated any influence the Lib Dems may have.

The Scottish referendum resulted in the Scottish people deciding to remain part of the UK.

The local elections in Scotland strengthened the grip of the SNP north of the border, and Sturgeon and co had never hidden their pro-EU views.

Following the EU referendum, we are now left with a patsy Prime Minister and some real cunts lining up to take over. We've got a government that is split down the middle when it comes to the EU. We've got an opposition party riven by infighting and little political clout as the main opposition to government. We've got a Lib Dem party that has been declawed, neutered and stuffed into the scruffy kennel in the corner. We've got a Scotland that is tied to the UK for the forseable future yet wishes to remain within the EU.

If we were living in less enlightened times (although it's debatable that we live in enlightened times given the propensity of the general public to being thick cunts), the UK would be ripe to being looted and pillaged by an invading foreign force.

Cheer up, it might never happen.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Plus the 9bn still has to be paid for the next two years whilst brexit is prepared and sorted. 

Yes, people clearly do otherwise they wouldn't have voted on those promises that were taken back before all the votes were counted.

Oh just like in every general election, with a governments pre election manifesto, which they then subsequently go on to break/not deliver on lots of those promises.

That's politics for you. Both sides lie.

Guest Pistonbroke

Let me jump over the bloody thing before it gets to high.

Just had a quick look and think im able to grab a Irish passport (Mum,Grandad, Granny all born in Belfast am i right?)

Of so im very bloody tempted

You can, worth an idea mate. Don't forget you have 2 years to decide before the UK would officially be out of the EU. Weigh up the options and see what happens first would be my advice. 

I think my opinions are pretty well documented in my past posts and I don't think anyone who has read them, would think I'd be in favour of an organisation that costs us a huge sum of money and is presided over by a body that not one member of the general public has voted for.

Even if you disagree with the £350 million per week figure that we lose and go with the more conservative £140 million a week. That is still over £9 billion a year. That is over x9 what we spent on flood defences last year (annually storm and flood damage costs this country £1.1 billion according to the British National Insurer Association (or whatever its called) and nearly x3 what we spent on the police force last year.

Why when council budgets have been slashed by up to 40% since 2010, should we be giving away a minimum of £9 billion a year?

Why when we have around 1 million unemployed people should we have free movement of people?

Your conservative £140m figure doesn't account for the very real possibility of UK falling into a recession, which means that not only will there be no £140m, there is likely to be even less available because of cuts.

Your conservative £140m figure doesn't account for the very real possibility of UK falling into a recession, which means that not only will there be no £140m, there is likely to be even less available because of cuts.

Just like the recession that was supposed to happen if we didn't join the Euro.

Well we'll see won't we. There is no point crying about it. Our destiny is in our hands now so its better if everyone accepts it and moves on.

If your destiny really were in your hands then the best thing you could do would be to use this power to re-unite with the EU.

"Accept it and move on" is really a terrible line.  This is going to be hugely damaging to the economy, to people's savings, and as usual the poor and underprivileged are the ones who are going to bear the brunt of it.  And you want everyone to just "accept it and move on?"

So when Boris, Gove and Duncan-Smith are running the show I wonder if they will look after the working class voters of the MIdlands and the North who delivered their Brexit vote?

Like Thatcher looked after the East Midlands scab miners? Turkeys voting for Christmas.