You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I think this is difficult, how do you promote or quantify what you already have? The Leave side can say anything they want, they aren't really starting from any base point. Thus the only thing Remain can effectively say is what it'd cost the average person if they voted to exit the EU. A referendum is not really a pitch to govern.

I agree it's difficult, but if you campaign for a 'side' then it's in your interests to put the benefits of your position forward isn't it? Surely it's not beyond the realms of possibility that remain campaign strategists put together a list of things that benefit the UK as a result of being part of the EU? Maybe on some sort of biblical stone tablet?

I agree it's difficult, but if you campaign for a 'side' then it's in your interests to put the benefits of your position forward isn't it? Surely it's not beyond the realms of possibility that remain campaign strategists put together a list of things that benefit the UK as a result of being part of the EU? Maybe on some sort of biblical stone tablet?

Ha, they'll be ringing Ed and seeing if they can borrow his.

Like I said I'm not sure what benefit there is for Tories in particular to say the EU set up the social charter/working time directives/maternity pay etc. The Leave side could say they aren't touching any of those rights and would disarm that argument quite quickly. It's terrible but barring revelations of what further work is planned through the EU the only 'effective' strategy is to tell people what they could lose.

Immigrants aside,what are your reasons for wanting to leave the EU?

There are loads, to try and sum it up though the EU has proven itself to be a bad, corrupt organisation time and time again. Its ultimate aim is to get rid of Nation states, remove as much power and democracy as it can from everyone and control as much aspect of peoples lives as it can.

How can that be a good thing? There can be only one outcome there and thats big buisness and the people at the top of the EU getting rich together.

Not one person has came in here and sung the praises of the EU, even the people campaigning to stay in slag the EU off, so its very simple for me. I will take this once in a lifetime opportunity to vote to come out of a bad organisation! Not vote to stay in a bad organisation as a few bones the EU throws at me might get taken away by the democraticlly voted in government who I have more of a voice and an opportunity remove.

EU is bad bad bad... Oh, actually it might just have given the UK steel industry a lifeline...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/12/european-parliament-votes-against-china-market-economy-status-uk-steel-industry

If people still think it's better to be ruled unfettered by our own politicians and their free market ideology then go ahead and vote out.

If I had a pound for every person claiming to care about how undemocratic the EU is that didn't vote for their MEP I'd be on a fucking beach in the Bahamas.

Is correct.

It always amazes me how low the turnout is for the General Election.

I know a few people who are pub politicians who twat on about their political persuasions and have all the answers but are unable to vote themselves as they aren't on the electoral role to facilitate various frauds.

Tories, in general, want to leave Europe. The thought of having Tories in power with no oversight from Europe is not a fun prospect. I urge you to vote with your head and not your hatred of one slimy cunt.

i understand what you mean there.

i however get more disgusted with each year the tories are in power. i have nothing to hide but dont like the way they big brother the country. criminal justice bill and no doubt numerous other laws such as police powers to search anyone etc boil my piss to volcanic levels.

the other day, i couldnt help but chuckle at the way two ex MI5 chiefs came out and supported cameron (no doubt a small bribe to tell some lies) in that if we leave the EU it would be harder to combat terrorism. scaremongering at its finest, thanks dave.

Being under EU rule did not stop 7/11 did it you silly mi5 gobshites.

i understand what you mean there.

i however get more disgusted with each year the tories are in power. i have nothing to hide but dont like the way they big brother the country. criminal justice bill and no doubt numerous other laws such as police powers to search anyone etc boil my piss to volcanic levels.

the other day, i couldnt help but chuckle at the way two ex MI5 chiefs came out and supported cameron (no doubt a small bribe to tell some lies) in that if we leave the EU it would be harder to combat terrorism. scaremongering at its finest, thanks dave.

Being under EU rule did not stop 7/11 did it you silly mi5 gobshites.

Why would MI5 stop 7/11?

You do realise that it's only European law preventing the likes of the Big Brother Tories (and Labour, for that matter) from implementing all the surveillance shit they want, right?

You do realise that it's only European law preventing the likes of the Big Brother Tories (and Labour, for that matter) from implementing all the surveillance shit they want, right?

You do know if the EU decided to implement this, our Parliament couldnt stop them?

Guest Pistonbroke

You do know if the EU decided to implement this, our Parliament couldnt stop them?

They haven't though, have they. I haven't been to any country where there are so many surveillance cameras as the England. Sometimes CTV can be a good thing, but I have a sneaky feeling the amount of CTV surveillance is not just for safety reasons.  

And if there are no Nation States or borders, what language are you going to speak because if every EU citizen has a vote, the majority will decide.

I guess I'm going to speak English, like I always have, like almost everyone in this country does, and like the entire world will in a century or so.

They haven't though, have they. I haven't been to any country where there are so many surveillance cameras as the England. Sometimes CTV can be a good thing, but I have a sneaky feeling the amount of CTV surveillance is not just for safety reasons.

Yes, in an age when every single person voluntarily carries round a tracking device cameras are the best option.

Guest Pistonbroke

And if there are no Nation States or borders, what language are you going to speak because if every EU citizen has a vote, the majority will decide.

Bit of a stupid example mate, you don't think that the French/English/Spanish/Greek/Italians/Germans etc etc would veto such a daft proposal? The European council can't just make up shit and force it through. 

Bit of a stupid example mate, you don't think that the French/English/Spanish/Greek/Italians/Germans etc etc would veto such a daft proposal? The European council can't just make up shit and force it through. 

Seeing as someone suggestted no Nation States within the EU, its not a shit suggestion at all.

If you have one huge landmass and no borders that has monetary union, why on earth do you think the drive wont be for a standard language within it?