You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Ayre gone? anyone know?

Marko121

He's the CEO for LFC. Ultimately he's steering the ship (nominally perhaps).

You cannot be a CEO and not be 'responsible'.

Financially and commercially we are doing brilliantly. Sponsorship is up wages are under control and gates are full. Not his fault we are shit on the pitch. If he even has a say in football matters I would be amazed. He may control budgets but will not be giving players the once over.

Financially and commercially we are doing brilliantly. Sponsorship is up wages are under control and gates are full. Not his fault we are shit on the pitch. If he even has a say in football matters I would be amazed. He may control budgets but will not be giving players the once over.

£900,000 profit isn't really stellar is it? (the previous years were losses).

Admittedly, it's a step in the right direction, and the increased TV money and new stand should help too, but is that down to Ayre?

Yeah but it's not real money so it doesn't count. It's easy for supporters to say we should be spending x, y and z in one hand and then complaining at the price of season tickets on the other, or that we should pay a player whatever he wants in wages then wondering where the transfer money has gone.

• Upvote 1

Advertising revenue had to go up especially with the amount of TV exposure we get. It's money for old rope once your not arsed who you associate with. 

My issue with Ayre and it might not even be his fault but he is my patsy so fuck him, my problem is almost every deal ( not all but most ) has been a fucking saga, one where we usually either overpay, lose out, piss off the other club, pay fortunes in agent fees, get fleeced or run out of time, drag it on and on  a media soap opera, let players contract run right down plus we buy shite but thats on other people but by jove fuck it I blame him there too. Ayre has to go or be demoted purely to remove some hicks stench and I think hes too fucking pleased with himself.

I won't pretend I have any justification, moral need to justify my stance or even any need or want of evidence I'm just being an arsehole, i'm happy with it.

• Upvote 4

Yeah but it's not real money so it doesn't count. It's easy for supporters to say we should be spending x, y and z in one hand and then complaining at the price of season tickets on the other, or that we should pay a player whatever he wants in wages then wondering where the transfer money has gone.

You're right, of course. 

Isn't Ayre considered something of a commercial whizz by the yanks, they'd probably just keep him in an office before sacking him.

Ayre is a defining example of the Peter Principle.  Should have stayed as commercial director.

He's been MD for a while now, he's at least partially responsible for our decline. 

Our recent decline has been partly due to circumstance and partly down to bad decisions in the transfer market.  You could even suggest it's down to the choice of manager although I doubt anybody would have sacked Rodgers at the end of last year.  If Ayre isn't responsible for hiring and firing the manager and has no say in transfers or what the maximum spend is on transfers which is a possibility because nobody actually knows whether he does or he doesn't then no he isn't at least partially responsible for our decline.

He comes across as a bad wool on the telly and for that reason he gets poked fun at and a lot of people on here have wanted him out for a while.  It was based on nothing but assumption though.

• Upvote 2

I know because Henry made the call to Bolton and was quoted by their Chairman, and Werner flew in to speak to Fulham - again widely reported.

Which renders your post, how do you put it, pretty laughable.

I notice your particular brand of self-perceived superiority was largely absent from the Stoke game onwards until Rodgers was confirmed as safe.

Rogers isn’t liked on the Kop
Sterling’s been on strike
We’re down on our luck...
It's tough, so tough

Gerrard has fucked off to LA
We have lost our greatest man
Our team is so gay
For love, for love

He says, "We've gotta hold on to what we've got.
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.
We've got each other and that's a lot.
For love we'll give it a shot."

Whoa, we're half way there
Whoa, life with Ian Ayre
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Whoa, life with Ian Ayre

• Upvote 4

Our recent decline has been partly due to circumstance and partly down to bad decisions in the transfer market.  You could even suggest it's down to the choice of manager although I doubt anybody would have sacked Rodgers at the end of last year.  If Ayre isn't responsible for hiring and firing the manager and has no say in transfers or what the maximum spend is on transfers which is a possibility because nobody actually knows whether he does or he doesn't then no he isn't at least partially responsible for our decline.

He comes across as a bad wool on the telly and for that reason he gets poked fun at and a lot of people on here have wanted him out for a while.  It was based on nothing but assumption though.

The biggest problem for us has been the emergence of Man City.

As long as there are only 4 champions league places on offer and at least 5 clubs competing for them (6 if you include Spurs) we are unlikely to consistently finish in the top four.

Unless we get new owners, or FSG completely change their strategy, a champions league place for us will be the exception rather than the rule.

• Upvote 1

Ayre is a defining example of the Peter Principle.  Should have stayed as commercial director.

I think Ayre's commercial exploits are overblown. Hogan's signed all the commercial deals the last couple of years and the big Standard Chartered deal a few years back fell on our lap because they contacted Purslow/Ayre themselves. He improved us commercially from where we were but we all know what a joke it was under Parry. LFC are a worldwide brand of course we should have competitive commercial deals.

As a CEO/MD/DOF whatever you want to call him, Ayre has been an unmitigated disaster and the biggest example of FSG's refusal to employ proper staff at their top jobs.

The biggest problem for us has been the emergence of Man City.

As long as there are only 4 champions league places on offer and at least 5 clubs competing for them (6 if you include Spurs) we are unlikely to consistently finish in the top four.

Unless we get new owners, or FSG completely change their strategy, a champions league place for us will be the exception rather than the rule.

I think there's some truth to that, but at the same time, Arsenal have managed to 'coast along' and keep a top 4 place.  But essentially, yes you're right, City (and prior to that, Chelsea, have completely changed things, and Liverpool have been the chief casualty.

Things could, in theory, get worse if England loses a slot in CL which isn't out of the question. That really would be a dogfight if 'top 3' becomes the new target.

Rogers isn’t liked on the Kop

Sterling’s been on strike

We’re down on our luck...

It's tough, so tough

Gerrard has fucked off to LA

We have lost our greatest man

Our team is so gay

For love, for love

He says, "We've gotta hold on to what we've got.

It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.

We've got each other and that's a lot.

For love we'll give it a shot."

Whoa, we're half way there

Whoa, life with Ian Ayre

Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear

Whoa, life with Ian Ayre

Shit from the start and you're to blame...

you give songwriting a bad name!

;-)

• Upvote 1

Admittedly, it's a step in the right direction, and the increased TV money and new stand should help too, but is that down to Ayre?

That was the 'profit' left after the loss was wiped out. You're a bit like xerxes with figures, arent you ie not very good?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think there's some truth to that, but at the same time, Arsenal have managed to 'coast along' and keep a top 4 place.  But essentially, yes you're right, City (and prior to that, Chelsea, have completely changed things, and Liverpool have been the chief casualty.

Things could, in theory, get worse if England loses a slot in CL which isn't out of the question. That really would be a dogfight if 'top 3' becomes the new target.

Arsenal have managed to coast along and keep their top 4 place because of our incompetence. We've spent more money than them over the last 5 or 6 years and had a better team to start with (2009). Our decline also gave City an easy in. City ended up fighting Tottenham to get that 4th CL place, not Liverpool.

Other than last season we haven't even challenged for the top 4 for the last 5 years so it's not just down to City emerging. We've only finished above Spurs once.

That was the 'profit' left after the loss was wiped out. You're a bit like xerxes with figures, arent you ie not very good?

Good grief @ after the loss was wiped out....

That's what profit is. Are you trying to pretend 900K profit is really 30m if you include 21m of outgoings)?

It's call the bottom line. 900K made, which given a revenue of 255m amounts to 'not stellar'.

Arsenal have managed to coast along and keep their top 4 place because of our incompetence. We've spent more money than them over the last 5 or 6 years and had a better team to start with (2009). Our decline also gave City an easy in. City ended up fighting Tottenham to get that 4th CL place, not Liverpool.

Other than last season we haven't even challenged for the top 4 for the last 5 years so it's not just down to City emerging. We've only finished above Spurs once.

Yeah, I remember all the posts on here saying how shit a manager wenger was while keeping arsenal 'coasting along' in the top 4 and qualifying for Champions League for the last 14 seasons or so, spending little money in the process.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I agree, but that has meant Arsenal have been able to 'coast', as there's been nobody to challenge for 4th on a consistent basis.

I agree it's not all down to City, but I think it's a real factor. Had City not won the lottery, the 4th place, even with Liverpool's poor showing would then have been contested by Liverpool and Spurs, with City languishing (hard to know what might have happened, a Villa like scenario isn't unrealistic).