You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Ayre gone? anyone know?

Marko121

Because the  responsibility / cause of a problem, and the accountability for it are two different things.

The CEO is accountable, even if he's not the cause. He's paid to be accountable.

This is the nature of hierarchy isn't it? 

If the players don't perform, the manager's accountable right? 

No we are getting to the crux of it.

If the players don't perform it can be the managers fault.  It's subjective but you can take an opinion on it because a lot of it is there for us to see.  It's the main reason why I don't believe in a DOF or transfer committees where the manager does not have the final say.  It makes it too difficult for clubs to then tell if the manager is doing a good job or not never mind the fans.  If the manager signed all the players that aren't performing then it's on him for signing them.  If they are performing then you know he hasn't just got lucky with somebody elses players.

From the start all I've said is that you don't know what Ayre does so you can't categorically say he deserves to be sacked or not.  And as I said in my last post if you want to just to demand he be sacked by association then good luck to you.  I think it's a useless method of judging him because it could damage the club moving in the right direction  If he's doing a good job by what FSG have told him to do then I don't want him sacked.

My point which I will repeat again though so it doesn't get muddied by the above.

You can't say that Ayre deserves the sack because you don't know what he does or what he is responsible for.  If you want to sack him because you think the club overpaid for players and finished 6th in the league then great but that's not saying he deserves it because you don't know if he had any control over any of that.

• Upvote 1

If mid-table profitability is FSG's objective, then Ayre appears to be on pretty solid ground, despite the transfer committee.

That's a ginormous if!

"Mid-table profitability" doesn't stay profitable for long - especially when you've got your "global brand" to consider.

I'd imagine that FSG are more than aware that regular Champions League football is where the real profits are.  After all, they have already sacked two managers they didn't trust to deliver that.

That's a ginormous if!

"Mid-table profitability" doesn't stay profitable for long - especially when you've got your "global brand" to consider.

I'd imagine that FSG are more than aware that regular Champions League football is where the real profits are.  After all, they have already sacked two managers they didn't trust to deliver that.

And how long do they plan on being here? They'll have sold up before the sponsorship deals have dried up because we've got no star players left and have become Tottenham or even Villa or Newcastle.

Yes FSG want CL football and wanted it the Arsenal way of finishing top 4 by hook or by crook every year rather than a one off via a freakish season. Their dreadful staffing choices have meant that's gone now and mid-table profitability it is.

• Upvote 1