You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Ayre gone? anyone know?

Marko121

You can only measure on what's happened, not on 'if Suarez had stayed / had the manager made better decisions / Sturridge been fit - things would have been better'. That's just ludicrous.

It wasn't news that Suarez was looking to move on - Ayre had at least 1 year's prior knowledge.

Rodgers was brought in as a relative rookie - so it can't be a shock if he's made mistakes.

Sturridge's injury troubles were a concern before he was bought - it's not a surprise they've resurfaced. Those were foreseeable risks and poorly mitigated.

If it's not Ayre's responsibility, then it surely can't be Pascoe and Marsh's either, can it?

You end up with a 'it's nobody's responsibility' situation and two blokes at the bottom of the pile pay the price (scapegoats).

Ayre is paid handsomely to accept responsibility (even if it's nominally). He's accepted none of it though.

Ayre's responsibility is in the administrative running of the club not, looking for a replacement for Suarez.

Are you sure you're not xerxes? You have the same subject obsessions as him.

You can only measure on what's happened, not on 'if Suarez had stayed / had the manager made better decisions / Sturridge been fit - things would have been better'. That's just ludicrous.

It wasn't news that Suarez was looking to move on - Ayre had at least 1 year's prior knowledge.

Rodgers was brought in as a relative rookie - so it can't be a shock if he's made mistakes.

Sturridge's injury troubles were a concern before he was bought - it's not a surprise they've resurfaced. Those were foreseeable risks and poorly mitigated.

If it's not Ayre's responsibility, then it surely can't be Pascoe and Marsh's either, can it?

You end up with a 'it's nobody's responsibility' situation and two blokes at the bottom of the pile pay the price (scapegoats).

Ayre is paid handsomely to accept responsibility (even if it's nominally). He's accepted none of it though.

From Charles Osgood:

"This is a story about four people: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. 

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was asked to do it. 

Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did. 

Somebody got angry (about that) because it was Everybody's job. 

Everybody knew that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Somebody wouldn't do it. And (/It ended up that) Everybody blamed Somebody because (/when) Nobody did what Anybody could have done."

Sums us up really.

I don't know fo certain whether or not Ayre is good at his job, I just know the mention of his name calls to mind two images.

One is him twiddling his thumbs in Kiev on transfer deadline day.

The other is, after the Bayer Leverkusen pre-season friendly, me and my mate were hanging around, trying to do a bit of "celeb-spotting".  When the stewards started moving everyone out from the car park behind the Main Stand, my mate spotted Ayre getting into his car.  He made a beeline for him and engaged him in small-talk, just long enough for the stewards to pass and leave us alone.  It was pretty obvious what he was doing, but Ayre didn't seem to spot it.  Anyway, we later got to meet Sami, Rudi Voller, Andy Carroll, Didi Hamann and Brendan Rodgers - all because Ayre was outwitted by a fat bloke with learning difficulties.  That's the Ian Ayre who negotiates our transfers.

That's a fabulous anecdote.

Needless to say, Angry had the last laugh. Now. Fuck. Off.

6Vk6F8L.jpg

• Upvote 1

No idea if Ayre is really going/gone... 

But if he is going/gone, then FSG needs to bring in someone who clearly knows what he is doing.

Someone who has a track record of:

1. Mega gazillions from sponsors.

2. Expert negotiator in tying up deals one way or another, by hook or crook.

3. Getting decisions leaning towards our way or whatever way we wish for it to fall., 

4. Influences all across the globe.

There is an outstanding candidate available right now and most importantly he is available immediately (so we don't have to pay anyone compensation). 

I present you... Sepp Blatter.

We get him, we are guaranteed to win the League...

And the Copa America, African Cup of Nations, and the FIFA Women's World Cup.

• Upvote 2

Are you really that fucking thick or do you just struggle to read?

I am not saying he's not responsible for anything and cannot be judged. I'm saying you or I do not have a fucking clue what he does or how good he is at doing it so we cannot personally judge him. FSG can and will do.

The Marsh and Pascoe thing is another prime example of you completely missing the point. They are exactly the same as Ayre. You have no fucking clue how good or bad they are as coaches so to come on here and say they should be sacked would be just as stupid. The club have let them go so they've taken their own judgement on it.

• Upvote 1

The Guest struggles with the concept of speculation. More at 11.

The guest struggles with having to explain himself over an over again because people are thick or can't read. People can want Ayre gone all they like by speculating on what he does. I'm saying that's exactly what they are doing. FSG will know exactly what he is responsible for and imagine they will judge him on that. For all they or we know though he might have done well at what he's asked to do. Just because the team performed relatively badly on the pitch and the signings haven't worked out as everyone would have liked doesn't mean automatically it's on Ayre.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not saying he's not responsible for anything and cannot be judged. I'm saying you or I do not have a fucking clue what he does or how good he is at doing it so we cannot personally judge him. FSG can and will do.

The Marsh and Pascoe thing is another prime example of you completely missing the point. They are exactly the same as Ayre. You have no fucking clue how good or bad they are as coaches so to come on here and say they should be sacked would be just as stupid. The club have let them go so they've taken their own judgement on it.

Now that's speculation.

The guest struggles with having to explain himself over an over again because people are thick or can't read. People can want Ayre gone all they like by speculating on what he does. I'm saying that's exactly what they are doing. FSG will know exactly what he is responsible for and imagine they will judge him on that. For all they or we know though he might have done well at what he's asked to do. Just because the team performed relatively badly on the pitch and the signings haven't worked out as everyone would have liked doesn't mean automatically it's on Ayre.

And? All this anger over....what, exactly? What great shift in forum-posting etiquette are you trying to achieve with the tantrums?

The Guest's dream forum:

Do you believe in God?

*shrugs*

Dunno.

Do you think Oswald shot JFK?

*shrugs*

Dunno.

Do you think Rodgers wanted Lallana?

*shrugs*

Dunno.

Do you think Sterling really wants to go to Arsenal?

*shrugs*

Dunno.

Do you think Suarez would have got us Top 4 this season?

*shrugs*

Dunno.

• Upvote 2

Negged.

It doesn't bother me that you're a shouty cunt to almost everyone you converse with on here. You need a bit of that, it's what makes the FF immeasurably better than the MF. Although it was funny seeing Moof pull someone up on being rude to you. What I cannot accept is the absolutely disgusting behaviour of talking about yourself in the third person.

• Upvote 4

It's you who is missing the point.

You're claiming that since nobody knows who is actually responsible for what, and who is or ins't good at their job means that everybody is 'in the dark' ergo nobody can point the finger of blame.

I'm not disagreeing that people don't know who is good and who isn't, but I'm asserting that someone is given the title of CEO for a reason - because they are the named 'captain of the ship'. They are paid handsomely for that title, and with it comes the culpability.

Like any CEO, he's not always going to be hands on, and not always factually responsible for cock-ups below him, but it's his name on the org chart.

If he's not 'actually' the CEO - it's just a title bestowed on him for the public, then why bother? - why not give him the correct title that reflects his true role?

Is the manager not really the manager?

If the groundsman not really the groundsman?

Where does it all stop?

If he's not the man conducting the transfer dealings, then why is he the one doing the travelling for negotiations?

Can you honestly claim that Pascoe and Marsh should be the first names on the list of culpability for mistakes? That's akin to blaming the checkout girl for troubles at Tesco. Of course the club have opted to make their choice, but you're a simpleton if you're fooled by the obvious ruse of scapegoating them.

They don't want to fire people higher up the chain as it starts to get nearer to the owners themselves which then causes people to question their own competence.

It's you who is missing the point.

You're claiming that since nobody knows who is actually responsible for what, and who is or ins't good at their job means that everybody is 'in the dark' ergo nobody can point the finger of blame.

I'm not disagreeing that people don't know who is good and who isn't, but I'm asserting that someone is given the title of CEO for a reason - because they are the named 'captain of the ship'. They are paid handsomely for that title, and with it comes the culpability.

Like any CEO, he's not always going to be hands on, and not always factually responsible for cock-ups below him, but it's his name on the org chart.

If he's not 'actually' the CEO - it's just a title bestowed on him for the public, then why bother? - why not give him the correct title that reflects his true role?

Is the manager not really the manager?

If the groundsman not really the groundsman?

Where does it all stop?

If he's not the man conducting the transfer dealings, then why is he the one doing the travelling for negotiations?

Can you honestly claim that Pascoe and Marsh should be the first names on the list of culpability for mistakes? That's akin to blaming the checkout girl for troubles at Tesco. Of course the club have opted to make their choice, but you're a simpleton if you're fooled by the obvious ruse of scapegoating them.

They don't want to fire people higher up the chain as it starts to get nearer to the owners themselves which then causes people to question their own competence.

I'm not missing the point because I'm the cunt making it.

I'm saying that none of us here can catergorically say Ayre is shit at his job because none of us know what he does and what he is responsible for.  If you don't know if somebody is responsible for something how can you hold them accountable for it.  I've considered trying to use examples of this but I know what that would turn into so the sentence before this one should be enough.

Pulling up examples of shit signings where we've overpaid or the manager and players underpeforming or even business deals you don't like the look of doesn't mean anything.  Football is not a normal business anyway you can't compare the CEO of a football team who you don't know has the responsibility of hiring or firing the manager or what input he has in players signing or the fees paid.

For all we know the transfer committee have told Ayre what players to go and sign and the minimum and maximum values they thought they were worth.  Ayre could then have gone and signed every single player for the minimum fee put forward by the committee.  It could be the other end of the spectrum.  You or I don't have a fucking clue and therefore can't judge.  If you want to sack the CEO based on performances on the pitch then go right ahead but it's a useless method assessing whether the CEO has done a good job or not.  If you want to judge him on everything else then fine but you don't know what parameters he's working under as described above.

The club will do because they will have set them.  Whether they hold him accountable for them or not is up to them

All those questions are perfectly valid you should go and ask FSG.

Where do I claim anything about Marsh and Pascoe?  I'm saying you don't know how good or bad they are at their jobs so you can't categorically say they need to leave either.  The club have obviously made their own judgement on them

• Upvote 1

If you don't know if somebody is responsible for something how can you hold them accountable for it.

Because the  responsibility / cause of a problem, and the accountability for it are two different things.

The CEO is accountable, even if he's not the cause. He's paid to be accountable.

This is the nature of hierarchy isn't it? 

If the players don't perform, the manager's accountable right?