You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

If he was our 2nd or 3rd choice then he would be a very good signing,like Lambert could have been with better players around him. Origi and Ings tick the 'potential' box but where is the established striker?

Please,please dont mention Daniel 'The Dildo' Sturridge. Great when he's in for about five minutes but hidden away and useless when out.

He's better than Lambert, Borini and Balotelli so he's an upgrade on what we've got with the exception of a fit Sturridge. But he's a squad player at best, we certainly need a legit world class striker before the season begins otherwise we'll see the same diabolical performances we became accustomed to last season.

For what it's worth, he was saying this a few months ago when he was reporting that Van Gaal wanted him and United may beat us to signing him.

Danny Ings is an inspired signing for Liverpool - he can be better than Harry Kane

Danny Ings could be an inspired signing for Liverpool

By Mark Ogden

10:54AM BST 08 Jun 2015

The England under-21 striker might not be as celebrated as his Tottenham counterpart, but he has the ability and character to thrive at Anfield

Having witnessed Luis Suarez scoring the crucial goal in Barcelona’s Champions League final triumph against Juventus at the weekend, Liverpool supporters are more likely to be mourning the loss of a talisman this morning than celebrating the arrival of Danny Ings at Anfield.

One is a £75m superstar, the player who almost ended Liverpool’s 24-year wait for a league title last year; the other is an out-of-contract England under-21 forward who failed to score the goals to keep Burnley in the Premier League.

In such black and white terms, it is easy to suggest that Liverpool’s move for Ings offers further proof of the club’s inability attract and keep the best players -- Raheem Sterling, who was booed throughout England’s goalless draw with the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Sunday is another example of a player who believe Liverpool can only take him so far.

But if you cut through the cynicism and judge the Ings signing on its merits, the reality is that Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers have made a smart move for a player whose qualities are likely to blossom at Anfield rather than drag the club down.

Many good judges regard Ings as a certainty to play for England at senior level, some would even suggest that the 22-year-old is the best prospect of an emerging crop with also includes Harry Kane and Saido Berahino.

The comparison with Berahino is a loose one, merely based on the two forwards developing with the under-21s at the same time: they are very different players.

That is less the case with Ings versus Kane. They are two classic centre-forwards who have come to the end of their first full season in the Premier League with their reputations enhanced, even if it is only Kane seeing his name up in lights.

The big positive for Liverpool, however, is that Ings will retain the surprise element next season, having largely gone under the radar with Burnley.

And if he maintains the progress he has shown at Turf Moor over the past 12 months, Ings can use Anfield as the stage to surpass Kane and become the more celebrated of the two.

Kane enjoyed a magnificent campaign at Tottenham last season, scoring 31 goals in 51 appearances for Mauricio Pochettino’s team, as well one on his England debut against Lithuania in March.

The 21-year-old has a clear eye for goal, physical presence and aerial prowess, but as the season drew to a close, the goals began to dry up - he scored just twice in two months after his England debut -- with opponents learning how to shackle him.

Ings scored 11 goals in 37 appearances for Burnley, a return completely overshadowed by Kane, but given he was playing for a team which found chances and goals incredibly hard to come by, such a contribution highlights his ability to make and take opportunities.

The qualities which mark Ings out are his movement, pace, ability to hold the ball up as a link-man and two strong feet.

He is an all-round centre-forward and, while Kane’s aerial ability is better, Ings appears to possess more components for success at the top level than his Tottenham counterpart.

How he handles the move to Liverpool will define his input on the pitch, however. With Daniel Sturridge due to miss the start of the season through injury and manager Rodgers showing little or no faith in Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert - both of whom may well be sold - Ings is likely to start the season in the team.

He could partner Divock Origi, the 20-year-old Belgian who will arrive from Lille this summer, but Ings’s greater Premier League experience is likely to give him the edge as Rodgers’s first option.

For many who have not seen Ings at close hand, eyes will be rolled at Liverpool’s move for him.

But he is a player who can quickly become the answer to Liverpool’s goalscoring problems and while he will never be another Suarez, he will be better than many anticipate.

Danny Ings is probably a nice lad.

But talent-wise, he's fairly fucking average, and I'm sure he might be the first to admit it.

But let's try to paint some sort of optimistic picture here, for the sake of our mental wellbeing.

In 2013/14 (for the love of god don't look at his goalscoring record in the two previous seasons to this) he scored 21 goals in the Championship for Burnley.

Encouragingly, 20 of those were from open play, so that's something.

That season, he finished with 21 league goals, behind goalscoring luminaries such as Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes, and Troy Deeney. All, admittedly, were 4 years older than Ings, who was 20/21 at the time.

He also finished ahead of Charlie Austin, who scored 17 for QPR that season, 5 of which were penalties.

He also scored 6 more than Jamie Vardy, whose Leicester side won the league that year.

He fills the main criteria for FSG , the price,

I suppose if you back enough outsiders eventually one will eventually be a winner

He doesn't lack effort which puts him head and shoulders above most of them atm,.

I recall him giving the Scum the runaround at OT last season so i'm hopeful if not expectant,   

• Upvote 1

I like Ings and expect he'll do well but I'm not making any fucking predictions because last season I was convinced Balotelli would get 20 and Lambert 10-15 in all comps. Jesus wept.

If we went out and bought a top striker now I'd be pretty happy with our striking options though even though Sturridge seems crocked and Origi is unproven. Benteke is a good player and would probably do well here but fuck that noise. I'd genuinely rather we went out and bought someone we'd only end up selling in 3 years for 60 million than pay 32 for him.

Fuck it, I'm going all in on Ings. I'm getting in on the ground floor in the hope he explodes into a goal-scoring behemoth and I get to rub it in all your faces until the end of time. And if he wins us a game or two in the process, I guess that would be alright too.

We need a transfer victory, and I've decided Ings is it. I will not change my mind on this, so fuck off.