You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

Don't forget the £30m lamp post

Nice. Good going on giving a Liverpool player your full support and opportunity to impress.

No idea tbh, doesn't make all that much difference.

Likewise with Ings. We're completely reliant on Sturridge staying for since the rest are a bit shit.

Again, awesome support.

Nah, we'll be right, Russ.

As my Dad says, a good player can play in any position.

I guess it's the "good player" bit that's our concern.

Come back, Ray Kennedy.

All due respect to your dad mate, but that's bollocks.

Doesn't matter, once you blow one you're very likely to blow the other one by way of over-compensating.

We need to overcome this and not lick our wounds like those soft shites at Arsenal do every season when someone gets injured.

It's an opportunity for someone in the youth team to come in and be a legend.

TBF, we've already got four strikers in Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, and I am of the opinion that Firmino is a striker.

Bang on! Well said mate.

Sad for Ings as he was starting to get a bit of a look in, and it's not hard to see how his all-action style might have caught Klopp's eye. I'm sure the player will show a great attitude and  work hard to get back into the reckoning.

In the meantime, we'll be fine! 

Ings is our third choice striker. And his injury gives Origi an opportunity to move up the pecking order and show us what he can do. He is a speed merchant and could easily play wide in Klopp's preferred 4-2-3-1 system. Klopp likes pace and if he can teach Origi the sort of runs and pressing he wants from him, he could become a very good player. 

Sad for Ings as he was starting to get a bit of a look in, and it's not hard to see how his all-action style might have caught Klopp's eye. I'm sure the player will show a great attitude and  work hard to get back into the reckoning.

In the meantime, we'll be fine! 

Ings is our third choice striker. And his injury gives Origi an opportunity to move up the pecking order and show us what he can do. He is a speed merchant and could easily play wide in Klopp's preferred 4-2-3-1 system. Klopp likes pace and if he can teach Origi the sort of runs and pressing he wants from him, he could become a very good player. 

Ings looked as though he would fit in well Sturridge and in fact may have developed into our preferred option. Benteke looks nearly as fragile as Sturridge leaving Origi who on initial evidence is a bit shit and is worse than Sterling in front of goal. This is really bad news I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

Jordan Rossiter out now too with a hamstring injury, suffered on under-19 international duty after being selected for three 90 minute appearances in 5 days.

Borderline negligent, that. Stupid fuckers.

Flanagan, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Ings, Rossiter. 

It's about time we signed some of those tough Italians rather than weak English players.

Ings looked as though he would fit in well Sturridge and in fact may have developed into our preferred option. Benteke looks nearly as fragile as Sturridge leaving Origi who on initial evidence is a bit shit and is worse than Sterling in front of goal. This is really bad news I'm afraid.

You may be right, but for now I'm going with Klopp's charge to the fans: "Stop doubting and believe!" 

Ings is not established enough as a player for us for me to be too worried about his injury and the impact that will have on the team. Sturbridge is coming back to full fitness, Benteke has a niggling injury right now but won't be out for long, Origi looks raw but there's good potential there. I definitely see what you are saying, but I still think we'll be OK. 

[Last season would have been another story, as with injuries up front we were down to Balotelli and Borini, and that was never enough]

Jordan Rossiter out now too with a hamstring injury, suffered on under-19 international duty after being selected for three 90 minute appearances in 5 days.

Its a fucking joke...all because the international calendar is chocker with all these countries clogging up qualifying groups with zero chance of doing anything....it needs sorting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11937503/I-will-come-back-stronger-and-prove-my-worth-to-Jurgen-Klopp-says-injured-Liverpool-striker-Danny-Ings.html

Danny Ings was at Melwood, Liverpool’s training ground, on Friday at the start of a long return from injury, but 24 hours on from the worst moment of his career the belief has come flooding back for a man who made his England debut on Monday and partially tore his anterior cruciate ligament on Wednesday.

This is a footballer who, after all, was playing on loan at Dorchester Town in Conference South five years ago, who was earning £70 a week, which barely covered the costs of his commute from Southampton to Bournemouth, where he trained at the time. He has known rejection and injury along the way and overcome them all and, for that reason, he says his latest injury holds no fear for him.

We had arranged to speak long before that moment on Wednesday at Melwood when Ings heard his left knee click as he pushed off to cut in with the ball, and there are many footballers who, understandably, would be reluctant to go ahead with this interview. But Ings sees things differently – he is injured and there is nothing he can do about that, other than make his rehabilitation and time out of the game as positive an experience as possible.

After all, he has a new manager to impress, just like every one of his Liverpool team-mates, and while he cannot be in Jürgen Klopp’s plans for Saturday’s game at Tottenham, or indeed the next six months, Ings firmly believes that he can make an impression on the new Liverpool boss in other ways. “As modern-day professionals it all comes down to how you perform on the pitch,” he says. “But you can’t perform on the pitch unless you are doing all the stuff off it in the correct manner, especially at this level.

“The only way I can get in his [Klopp’s] thoughts and show him what a good professional I am is the way I am in the gym or by being positive around the lads. Sometimes negativity can rub off on players and I don’t want to affect their performance. When you are injured you have to keep a positive mindset and keep moving forward.

“I feel better than I expected to feel and that might come from the fact I have had previous injuries that have been quite lengthy before or it might just be the fact I made my debut for England and I was playing all the recent games for Liverpool. I think it is important not to get too down. There will be a few down days when I am not feeling myself and I am gutted I cannot be out with the team. But I am trying to stay as positive as I can be.”

To sit and chat with Ings you would not know that this is a man who is facing up to six months out of the game: there is no knee brace and he poses for the pictures with the photographer without a grimace. In fact, when he got the diagnosis on Thursday, he and his friend, and agent, David Threlfall went for an hour’s walk around Calderstones Park in south Liverpool to discuss how he was going to approach his comeback.

The rupture itself is minute – a few millimetres – and in the past a small rupture like that would not have been operated on. The modern thinking is that surgery is necessary on all ruptures of the anterior cruciate in order that the ligament returns to full strength and the expectation is that Ings will have the operation in London on Tuesday.

“I was coming from the centre of the pitch to the left-hand side running full tilt,” Ings says. “I received the ball on the inside of my right foot and as I came inside pressing off my left it got caught in an awkward position. I went and sat down. We had tests on it and it was perfectly fine, the wobble test [used to detect cruciate ruptures] – everything was fine.

“We didn’t have a clue what it was because after that I got up and thought I could go and train again. We walked in because we didn’t want to risk it. We were doing tests again and there was nothing there. The only thing worrying me is that there was a click … I have had surgery on this knee before but it was an injury that was completely different – that was a repair of my meniscus.

“This is something completely different. The MRI showed it was an isolated ACL partial rupture. The only positive thing is that everything around it, the meniscus, all the other ligaments are fine so hopefully that will shorten the timescale when I return.”

And he is determined to come back fitter, stronger and better at a club where he has felt at home since he turned up early for the pre-season tour.

Ask Ings about Liverpool and he is still incredulous at the sheer number of staff and yet the friendliness of the place. He has a box of protein supplements under his arm from the club and a list of instructions as to when to take what. The first two weeks of rehab, he has been told, are crucial.

“I am experienced enough in my career to know it is not the end,” he says. “It is a setback and, yes, I was playing and I was starting for Liverpool sooner than I expected, which was great. Making my England debut was a massive achievement.

“These things do happen and it can be cruel but for me it is part of the game and this is when footballers really, really earn their money. To go in earlier than everyone else and come home later than everyone else. To work as hard as you can and come back better. I have always done that. Any injury I have had, I have come back stronger. Especially mentally strong and it makes me appreciate the job I do when things like this happen.”

We are discussing the injury and his expectations on Klopp when Ings points out that he would also like to say something about the man who brought him to Liverpool. Brendan Rodgers might have been pushed to the back of the agenda of late, but Ings has not forgotten him. “I couldn’t speak any more highly of him, he gave me the opportunity to play for Liverpool. Obviously he is going through a tough time at the moment. It is not nice for any manager but what I do know is that he is a great guy, and a great man to have around a club. I know he will do extremely well in his career.”

As for Ings’s immediate future, he is adamant that he will play again this season and he refuses to rule out being fit in time to contend for a place at the European Championship, although he will take the experts’ advice first. There have been many messages from former team-mates and coaches and one from Alan Shearer, who went through the same thing at a similar age.

“When he popped up on Twitter … well, he didn’t have to do that,” Ings says. “I’m extremely grateful and when you see he went through the same process it shows that you do come back from these things. With the physio and the technology it has moved on even more. Look at Theo Walcott [who suffered a cruciate rupture last year] and how sharp he is … it’s like he has never been away. I know I am going to come back, it is just how I do it.

“You can be as strong as you want to be. The stronger I come back mentally and physically, the more chance I have of being in the thoughts of the England manager. Those things are realistic.”

• Upvote 2

Borderline? It's fucking outrageous. We should be suing the cunts for this.