You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

3 hours ago, Grinch said:

How is an out and out forward a perfect alternative for Bobby?   Doesn't matter a jot how many he scores, we don't play with a player like that and haven't for years. 

Both mane and salah play ahead of Bobby.   It's downright strange that Liverpool fans still act like he's a centre forward.   I expect it from rival fans cause they see the number on his back and how sky sports show our line up but people watching for years should know better. 

Not a direct replacement, but an alternative. There’s a difference in that which you’re missing. I think he’s a better version of Origi, who is the alternative to Bobby we have been going with. I’ve not seen anyone say he’s the same player in the exact role as Bobby, ever.

4 minutes ago, belarus said:

Not a direct replacement, but an alternative. There’s a difference in that which you’re missing. I think he’s a better version of Origi, who is the alternative to Bobby we have been going with. I’ve not seen anyone say he’s the same player in the exact role as Bobby, ever.

But the problem with having alternatives is if you use them, you have to change the way you play. It's the old debate of do you need a plan B or do you just have the best plan A possible. And the truth is, Mané and Salah have exploded playing with someone like Firmino, not with someone like Ings.

Except we don't start playing a different way, no good team does.  Origi has been coming on and failing to do what mane and salah does.   They are our main goal getters with Bobby deep pulling the strings. 

Now with mini and Jota in we're finally getting squad players capable of playing the way that's made us great.    A way that it'd be daft to stray from.  I'm guessing we'll still have fans talking about proper number nines though, no matter how many years has past or how successful we've been playing this way. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

But the problem with having alternatives is if you use them, you have to change the way you play. It's the old debate of do you need a plan B or do you just have the best plan A possible. And the truth is, Mané and Salah have exploded playing with someone like Firmino, not with someone like Ings.

Yeah, I agree with that, but look at their returns when Origi was brought in and played wide - they diminished I would say. Ings is a number 9, bobby is probably a 10, but Ings could offer more to that role than Origi, or even shuffling mane and Salah in my opinion. He’s a cracking little player, who works hard, defends from the front, links play and has a goal in him.

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Except we don't start playing a different way, no good team does.  Origi has been coming on and failing to do what mane and salah does.   They are our main goal getters with Bobby deep pulling the strings. 

Now with mini and Jota in we're finally getting squad players capable of playing the way that's made us great.    A way that it'd be daft to stray from.  I'm guessing we'll still have fans talking about proper number nines though, no matter how many years has past or how successful we've been playing this way. 

It’s only you who keeps mentioning proper number nines - I think Ings would be a good back up to our current front 3, particularly Bobby, even in light of their differences as players.

It’s only you who keeps mentioning proper number nines - I think Ings would be a good back up to our current front 3, particularly Bobby, even in light of their differences as players.

So Ings sitting deep pulling the strings? 

Danny Ings is an out and out number nine, a decent one.   He's not doing anything our front three does and that's why he's at Southampton. 

9 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I agree with that, but look at their returns when Origi was brought in and played wide - they diminished I would say. Ings is a number 9, bobby is probably a 10, but Ings could offer more to that role than Origi, or even shuffling mane and Salah in my opinion. He’s a cracking little player, who works hard, defends from the front, links play and has a goal in him.

The problem with that is Ings isn't suited to play in a fluid, interchangeable front line. Although Origi isn't great on the wings, he's got qualities like being able to take on full backs at pace, he's got a trick or two and then he can go up top if you want.

Ings is a bit more one-dimensional, although he's better at what he does than Origi. It just suits us less and I don't even think Origi particularly suits us either, to be honest, but he gives Klopp more options than Ings would.

But I think it has worked out for all parties anyway, both clubs and both players.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem with that is Ings isn't suited to play in a fluid, interchangeable front line. Although Origi isn't great on the wings, he's got qualities like being able to take on full backs at pace, he's got a trick or two and then he can go up top if you want.

Ings is a bit more one-dimensional, although he's better at what he does than Origi. It just suits us less and I don't even think Origi particularly suits us either, to be honest, but he gives Klopp more options than Ings would.

But I think it has worked out for all parties anyway, both clubs and both players.

True enough mate 

• 1 month later...