You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

23 minutes ago, belarus said:

Disagree entirely. Without the ACL injury he would have been used regularly in this klopp team. Perfect alternative for Bobby, or even in the wider roles. 25 in 42 for a mid table team last season suggests his skill level is somewhere above your modest opinions of him.

Klopp used him sparingly even when he was fit and it was easy to see why. That said,he's a good striker and fits in well at Southampton as a big fish in a small pond. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He isn't breaking into our front 3 but I'd much rather him come on than Origi right now. 

He had a much better season than Bobby’s last season. If he was here, I would start Bobby against the top 6 teams, as he’s more comfortable dropping into midfield. However against the rest, I’d start Ings as he’s a much bigger goal threat. 

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He could definitely play for us. Very good player, but needed to be playing regularly to get his fitness and confidence back up. Pleased for him, but there's no question that Bobby's a better player.

Bobby is the better footballer but I bet not many would claim that he’s the better striker of the two IMHO. 

8 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Origi is another who'll be leaving cause there's no place for him in our very successful style of football.  Mini and Jota can slide into it with ease, they're the future.

I think we are going to have to accept fees for both him and Wilson that are probably not what we were hoping for.

I think there are certain players who need to be playing every week to build up a resistance to injuries.  I love Ings but if he came back here he wouldn’t playing every week and I think we would see the same problems arise from his first spell.  If he avoids injury he will play for a big club again.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think we are going to have to accept fees for both him and Wilson that are probably not what we were hoping for.

Can see him staying for another season at least.   Young elliot isn't really ready so numbers wise it'll make sense but he's not gonna see much game time at all now. 

53 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Jimenez had both a better season and would be a better fit for us.

If Firmino played upfront for Southampton he would score 30

I mean, this is just nuts. Across 4 full seasons at Hoffenheim, Firmino averaged 9 league goals a season. Across 5 full seasons with us, Firmino has averaged 11 league goals a season. He has never been a high goal scoring striker, anywhere, ever, across 13 career seasons in 3 national leagues. From memory you've suggested Firmino is 20+ league goal a season striker before. Never has been; never will be. Its not his type or role.

As for Ings, he actually has a lot of quality. He's not a Kevin Phillips or Darren Bent variation of the poaching English striker (who both tallied 20+ goal league seasons, something Michael Owen never did funnily enough). Had an absolute rocket disallowed against Burnley at the weekend for marginal off-side for example that was a gorgeous finish. Wouldn't get in our side because its one of the greatest club sides in world history & its not really his role, but it is a nice reflection on the "Committee" that they identified his talent from Burnley and he'd probably get in next to all other sides in the country.

7 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I mean, this is just nuts. Across 4 full seasons at Hoffenheim, Firmino averaged 9 league goals a season. Across 5 full seasons with us, Firmino has averaged 11 league goals a season. He has never been a high goal scoring striker,

He has never played the role of a guy who can hang around the box. Because he is far more valuable doing everything else. He has also never been in a side in England that sees anything near the space that Soton see on a weekly basis bar about 6 or 8 times a year. 

You are right it is nuts - he would probably score 40.

I particularly like footballers who when continually injured and still receiving 6 figures a week post pictures with their partners laughing in the sun. Great guys.

Can they help being injured,no, could they be a bit more discreet, yes from me Clive.Might just be me. I would keep a lower profile personally.

• Upvote 1