You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best of the TLW era - you decide: Right backs

tlw content

Babbel was outstanding in 2001 and scored some important goals as well.

Babbel Henchoz Hyypia Carragher

That back four was about as solid as it gets. In fact, looking back the treble team was pretty bloody good all round.

Finnan was consistent and depenable over a longer period and Arbeloa was part of a very good Benitez team but neither made as big an individual contribution as Babbel.

No contest whatsoever. Not only did Babbel defend like a champ, he attacked and scored goals too. Equally at home as CB to boot.

What a fucking shame his career was effectively ended by that syndrome. I remember he spoke about it afterwards and said he was in a wheelchair and couldn't even answer the phone!

Babbel was the best player out of the 4 by far but wasn't here long enough. I've gone with Finnan. never man of the match but rarely had a shit game. Unassuming, confident on the ball and dependable. I never warmed to Arbeloa, too many mistakes in him, find it hard to believe he ended up playing in a great Spain team. Johnson was decent for his first 2 seasons then he got worse and worse and worse. By the end of last season it had become a joke that he was being picked yet he still carried on this season. 

Arbeloa for me, then johnson, then finnan. Babbel was ace but litmanenesque didnt play enough and his myth played a bigger part than him. His best work was elsewhere and he was past his peak. I might put him ahead of finnan but hes miles behind the others on appearances and contribution. That team wat won treble had other right back options aswell and Im not sure if youd have took babbel out it would have made a lot of difference or stopped us doing the treble.

No doubt he was class though, the alaves game I recall was his best but then my brain smells of potent skunk.

Arbeloa for me, then johnson, then finnan. Babbel was ace but litmanenesque didnt play enough and his myth played a bigger part than him. His best work was elsewhere and he was past his peak. I might put him ahead of finnan but hes miles behind the others on appearances and contribution. That team wat won treble had other right back options aswell and Im not sure if youd have took babbel out it would have made a lot of difference or stopped us doing the treble.

No doubt he was class though, the alaves game I recall was his best but then my brain smells of potent skunk.

He played over an hour of the Alaves game at CB after Henchoz went off injured. Gerrard went RB and Smicer came on and played RM. Similar to Istanbul thinking about it