Quantcast
Best of the TLW era - you decide: Right backs - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Best of the TLW era - you decide: Right backs

The 100th and final issue of ‘The Liverpool Way’ is fast approaching and we’re looking to get your input on a series of articles featuring ‘the best of’ the TLW era, which spans from August 1999 when the first issue was printed, to now as we prepare to declare once reaching a century.

Over the coming weeks we’ll ask for your votes on various subjects, such as best goal, best game (may have to include a ‘that didn’t take place in Istanbul’ disclaimer on that one), best signing, worst signing and all the usual stuff.

To start with though, let’s pick the best team of the last 16 years. We’ve had the goalkeepers (you can vote here), and now let’s deal with the back four, starting at right back. A lot of players have filled in here over the years, but there’s basically been four regulars throughout that time so we've narrowed it down to: Markus Babbel, Steve Finnan, Alvaro Arbeloa & Glen Johnson.

Not an easy one this. Cast your vote now.

Click here to view the article

Babbel > Finnan > Arbeloa

Johnson

• Upvote 1

Really? Riise walks it.

Yeah, I clearly didn't rate him as much as you did. What I meant really though was that we've had quite a few good right backs over this period, but not left backs.

I think Aurelio was a better left back than Riise, he was just injured all the time. You sacrifice any an attacking threat from that side, but I think Arbeloa is a better left back than Riise as well.

He's remembered mainly for what he did wrong, which is not a good sign when you're looking for the best player at a position.

Disagree. Ask Liverpool supporters what they remember Riise for and loads will say stay his goal against United, his cross for Stevie in Istanbul, etc. it makes no sense at all to ignore all of that and focus on the negatives.

Yeah, I clearly didn't rate him as much as you did. What I meant really though was that we've had quite a few good right backs over this period, but not left backs.

I think Aurelio was a better left back than Riise, he was just injured all the time. You sacrifice any an attacking threat from that side, but I think Arbeloa is a better left back than Riise as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wasnt a huge Riise fan but as you say, Aurelio was always injured and the likes of Carra didn't play there long term. Riise walks it.

Babbel. Shame illness cut his time short. Arbeloa much better than anticipated. Steve Finnan solid citizen. Johnson expensive, few decent performances, but overall not really worth outlay as he generally frustrated fans with his lackadaisical approach.

Babbel was better than all of them and it's a shame his career was effectively cut short by illness. An excellent defender and a threat in the opposition penalty area. Finnan wasn't quite as good but he was very consistent and understated. Arbeloa was better as a defensive full-back than when attacking, and Johnson had the ability but was ridiculously inconsistent and frustrating.

Left backs is going to be trickier.

Yeah it is, so I'm going to include Arbeloa and Finnan in that one too. Along with Riise and Aurelio probably.

• Upvote 1

1 Finnan

2 Babel

3 Bob

4 Johnson

Ryan Babel a better right back than Glen Johnson? We weren't using him properly all along!

• Upvote 1