You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Skrtel rejects 'unacceptable' contract. So what now?

tlw content

It's not like an industrial estate and workers have to just roll with the punches for fear of losing their job because they'd be fucked without it. He can accept, fight for more or leave the problem is the club trying to be super savers could make it a very unattractive place for a footballer to want to play at. We can't dictate to the market. Are we going to end up as a place for kids to do their work experience and older players who are now rich enough they want some playing time before they retire after sitting on a bench for 5 years.

I'd say FSG would be well pleased with a "play before we pay" set up.

The whole concept of trying to get value in football is mad anyway.

You simply have to throw money at it, be it on higher than deserved wages or inflated transfer fees.

Especially in our league. 

Look at the dozens of players we've lost out on through things getting a bit too rich for our blood.

You simply have to throw money at it, be it on higher than deserved wages or inflated transfer fees.

Especially in our league. Look at the dozens of players we've lose through things getting a bit too rich for our blood.

Not if you are happy with mediocrity you don't...

• Upvote 1

So who's responsible for this - Rodgers, Ayre, the owners? Have to believe if Rodgers really wanted him he'd have received better.

The City scouts according to some were/are big fans of Skrtel they tried to buy him when they were at Manchester City.

The irony is even through Skrtel is not one of the worlds best defender. He actually suits Rodgers kamikaze style of defending more than most defenders out there.

Reading his quotes he seems to be saying he thinks he's entitled to the same wage as players like Sturridge and other high earners.I like Skrtel and would like him to stay but I don't think he's worth massive wages.

If that's not the case I can understand his frustration but if he's after big money I wouldn't be against replacing him.

The club's a joke.

In view of your recent comments about FSG and the state of the club, coupled with this 'unusual' contact offer for Skrtel, have you wondered if perhaps you were a little quick to make negative assumptions about Sterling in his contract mess when I think you pretty much blamed only the player?

If the deal being offered to Skrtel was the norm for all our older players then this wouldnt be a bad idea. But he has been our best,and most consistent defender(not a massive achievement I agree) for a while so why piss him off just for the sake of it? We will be totally incapable of replacing him with, at least,like for like.

While I like Sakho myself,his critics have every right to criticise his performances so far as he still looks way behind Skrtel's level so far.

I am quite tolerant of FSG due to them being a million times better than their predecessors but this Summer is starting to really worry me.

Not pursuing world class managers and pissing off your best players is recipe for mediocrity.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No worries mate, pay as you play deals all round then.

Except, of course, not all players are over 30, nor was he offered a pay as you play deal.

It seems fairly obvious that it's not in fact the usual thing for us to do when offering a contract to someone Skrtel's age which is exactly why he's kicked off about it

I asked why it was disrespectful, not what was usual.

If you think it should be, fine.

I don't think it should be. I think we should assess each case on its merits and offer contracts to players that we think they're worth. If we think Skrtel is worth x per week plus extra for appearences, then that's fine by me.

Was Gerrard on a pay as you play deal?  Is Sturridge on one?

I can only hope.

What I asked was what was disrespectful about it.

Especially in our league. 

Look at the dozens of players we've lost out on through things getting a bit too rich for our blood.

If you want success I don't think theres any point in investing in a football club unless you see it as a vanity project and are prepared to chuck cash at it. 

In view of your recent comments about FSG and the state of the club, coupled with this 'unusual' contact offer for Skrtel, have you wondered if perhaps you were a little quick to make negative assumptions about Sterling in his contract mess when I think you pretty much blamed only the player?

Possibly some half and half in there, I don't know, but suspect Sterling's motives are based on moving to London rather than financial. 

Except, of course, not all players are over 30, nor was he offered a pay as you play deal.

I asked why it was disrespectful, not what was usual.

I don't think it should be. I think we should assess each case on its merits and offer contracts to players that we think they're worth. If we think Skrtel is worth x per week plus extra for appearences, then that's fine by me.

I can only hope.

What I asked was what was disrespectful about it.

The aspect that I considered disrespectful was the fact that since it does appear to be unusual for us to make such an offer to a player of Skrtel's age and with Skrtel's injury record, it seems that he has for some reason been singled out.  As one our longest serving players, our best CB and in particular as a player with no previous history of significant injury problems, it seems a completely unnecessary stipulation which begs the question why it has been mooted to begin with.

Adding the additional context of a manger whose team selection policy appears at times to be based on something other than playing his best, fit players and if I was Skrtel I would be looking at what's on the table as a contract with a headline pay figure I may find myself unable to actually achieve through no fault of my own.

Frankly I'm highly suspicious of the motives behind pretty much anything we do these days with contracts and this just adds to it.

I get that you don't rate him mate, you said as much earlier in the thread.  I think he's been a rare consistent performer for us for many seasons. As many people said when the Sterling issue broke, just fucking pay the man and stop fucking around, or if BR doesn't rate him, sell him.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The aspect that I considered disrespectful was the fact that since it does appear to be unusual for us to make such an offer to a player of Skrtel's age and with Skrtel's injury record, it seems that he has for some reason been singled out.

Would it be disrespectful to offer him 20 year contract on 100000000000000000 per minute? That'd also be unusual. The club seems to be trying to get value for money, it was said a long time ago that we were offering incentive based contracts. I think only one party has been disrespectful, and that's the player.

As for our best centre back, Sakho says hi.

Why would players want incentive based contracts with a potential to earn much less than they could get almost anywhere else. You've got to talk about this kind of out of context because it is not the real world, they are all greedy fuckers and none of them are worth what they are paid but if we are the only club out of the bigger clubs that puts all kinds of conditions into contracts and yet even then the top wage still falls short of what they feel they could get elsewhere it's not going to be attractive to footballers, it's clearly not attractive already to a long term established player in our side.

Personally I'd love for the whole of football to implode on the greedy cunts but I don't want liverpool to implode on its own before everyone else. My opinion is only based on what we are all presuming for all I know skrtel might be asking for a trillion quid and a ferrari boat and we'd be right to say no thanks this or nothing. Our contracts and negotiating just always seems to be a story these days and not a fucking good one.. The impression we give off is we are owned and ran by a hedgefund, weird that. I'm just waiting until we donate towards the tory party. It's not really a sport any more it's a vehicle for the rich to either stroke their own egos or keep their investment safe over a specific period of time whilst hopefully increasing revenue and cutting costs in the process, who gives a shit about the actual sport bit, it seems the ones that actually do care aren't rich enough to compete apart from the russian pirate.

• Upvote 3

Look at the dozens of players trophies we've lost out on through things getting a bit too rich for our blood.

I've been trying to forget.

Skrtel might not be a very good one but he's our best defender.

Offering him a contract dependent on appearances is risible on that basis. Not that I expect anything different from the fucking joke our club has become.

• Upvote 1

I dont blame players for telling the club to stick it up their arse.

Liverpool Football Club has always been a shower of cunts. The CLUB not the team.

Said it loads of times of here but even when were were winning everything every year we had no facilities and were made to piss against a wall. The team always but the club can fuck off.

If all the new contracts are based on this bright idea, it puts a new complexion on the way the manager stops playing people and 'disappears' them for months at a time. If these contracts are affecting team selection that's a much bigger problem than selling Skrtel.