You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Skrtel rejects 'unacceptable' contract. So what now?

tlw content

Martin Skrtel’s Anfield future is up in the air after the defender rejected the “unacceptable” contract offered to him by the Reds.

The Slovakian has a virtual ever present over the last two seasons but only has one year remaining on his current deal, and said he feels “uneasy” about the terms of the proposed extension, which is believed to be heavily incentivised on appearances.

“It's unacceptable for me. I think that such contracts are offered to players who are much older than me or players who have had some health problems” said the 30 year old. “The contract, which was presented to me, makes me uneasy, so I did not sign it” he added.

Skrtel has frequently been linked with moves away in recent years but has always been happy to pledge his future to the Reds, but unless an agreement can be reached Liverpool are faced with the choice of selling now and getting something back or allowing him to play out the final year of his deal before leaving on a Bosman.

With the Reds having shipped 98 league goals in the last two seasons some will argue that Skrtel - while being the club's most consistent defender - is the common denominator in that. Others will wonder just how much worse that figure would have been without him.

Click here to view the article

I see what you did there Jairzinho. Allow me to follow in kind...

Bin him off, we've got Ilori and Wisdom coming back so we'll be fine. And Coates was boss for three games at Sunderland last year so we don't need Skrtel.

• Upvote 1

Mike Gordon :- What are you going to do about us shipping goals.

Brendan Rodgers:- Sell Skrtel he is the root cause.

Hopefully they can thrash out a deal but would not blame Skrtel if he stuck around and left on a free, he can sign a pre-contract in Jan for next summer with an overseas team.

Have to say I'd be pissed off if I were a player that hardly ever misses any playing time and who had on more than one occasion had staples put in my head before going back out there, and they offered me some shitty pay as you play deal like I was some sort of Sturridge/Sakho/Agger walking sicknote.

• Upvote 19

I despair at our club sometimes.

The one quality, consistent and fit CB we have and they piss him off with a stupid offer.

Others will be all over him now and it will end up costing us more to keep hold of him than he probably would have accepted at the outset. They really are clueless buffoons in charge .

On the wider issue I don't see any hope for us unless we get lucky with better owners, Moores is a fucking cunt for selling us out. 

• Upvote 1

Have to say I'd be pissed off if I were a player that hardly ever misses any playing time and who had on more than one occasion had staples put in my head before going back out there, and they offered me some shitty pay as you play deal like I was some sort of Sturridge/Sakho/Agger walking sicknote.

If he's rarely injured it shouldn't be an issue. He'll get everything due to him.

• Downvote 4

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd be happy to see him replaced. No pathetic, warped sarcastic remarks. Just happy to see him replaced.

• Upvote 1

One of the few players we have that puts his body on the line, seems to actually like the club and backs up his teammates on the pitch. Git rid.

The only battler in the club. 

I must admit, I don't think this strategy of replacing good players with shit ones is working out well.