You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

That's not true. Many people claim otherwise

Who?

Yes, before the United game it looked as we may even challenge City, with Luis in the team we would have been in a better position at that time, and quite possibly finished 2nd, as I said I don't think we would have challenged for the title.  

Fucking hell.

Yes, before the United game it looked as we may even challenge City

UHUHUHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BUUHUHUHHBBAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AAHAHHHHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*farts and leaves*

I hope this might help, but it's seldom that you see a bad manager finish 2nd in the league.

Over the last 10 season or so, these are the managers who finished second in the PL, and the points they got.

14/15 - Pellegrini (79 points)

13/14 - Rodgers (84 points)

12/13 - Mancini (78 points)

11/13 - Ferguson (89 points)

10/11 - Ancelotti (71 points)

09/10 - Ferguson (85 points)

08/09 - Benitez (86 points)

07/08 - Mourinho/Grant (85 points)

06/07 - Mourinho (83 points)

05/06 - Ferguson (83 points)

04/05 - Wenger (83 points)

So Rodgers' haul last season was better than 6 other second place finishes in the last 11 years.

Look at the state of Wenger. Our manager has finished 2nd as many times as he has in the last 11 years.

Hadnt most of them won the title before anyway?

Hyypia wants Liverpool role

Former Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia wants to return to Anfield to become part of Brendan Rodgers' revamped backroom staff.

Hyypia has been linked with a coaching return after Liverpool assistant Colin Pascoe and first-team coach Mike Marsh left last week following the club’s end of season review.

The 41-year-old lifted the Champions League with the Reds during a 10-year spell as a player before moving into management with Bayer Leverkusen.

Hyypia guided the German club into the last 16 of the Champions League and finished fourth in his first full season at the helm.

However, Hyypia was sacked by Leverkusen and returned to England last summer to take charge of Brighton but resigned six months later after a run of just one win in 18 matches.

Hyypia is now keen get back into management and would have no problem working as an assistant.

"It would be great to work for a club which I love," said Hyypia. "I would definitely be interested if Liverpool think I could help them. I have great memories of my time at the club.

"My rise in management was rapid and I have been thinking a lot about things while I have been out.

"If there were no interesting opportunities as a manager, then I would be ready to be an assistant. That sort of role would give me a lot of experience. It wouldn’t be a problem for me.

"I feel ready to go into football again. You look at yourself and I am enthusiastic about getting back into the game."

I love Sami but fuck nostalgia, there needs to be a plan and this all has to organise and work properly. Feels like appease the fans somehow "I know fuck off two coaches and bring in a fan favourite". For all we know as great as sami was as a player he might be a terrible coach. I only want us to bring back people that have connections to the club if they genuinely would be an asset and a means of improving what we have. If Sami or whoever is brought in for those reasons then awesome. 

Also if Rodgers has been told he needs a defensive coach ( speculating ) what use would that coach be unless Rodgers completely surrenders his so called philosophy. Sami says what needs to be done but that totally goes against what Rodgers wants. Fuck knows it all seems convoluted and as usual an arse about tit way of doing things. Sack two coaches completely pointless unless Rodgers has said they are too shit to spread my word. 

• Upvote 3

And how many of them followed it up with a 7th placed finish?

At least Rafa had the excuse of two owners bankrupting the club and selling players to fund debt payments.

What was Rodgers excuse?

How many of them took a team from 7/8th to second with 4 or 5 teams spending more then them?

If you want to talk about the following season if any of them lost their two star players the next season then we can compare with Rodgers.

Seeing as everyone includes money from sales when judging BR then there is no excuses for Rafa because he spent in his last summer window.

• Downvote 1

Rodgers has proved he's fairly flexible. I think he'd be happy to accept help even if it means adjusting his philosophy so I don't really know where this 'what's the point of getting a coach that has a different philosophy'.

Some people are never happy. The previous coaches are yes men yet when they get replaced that's all wrong as well because it undermines Rodgers autonomy?

• Upvote 1

“I was surprised Brendan Rodgers made changes to backroom staff at Liverpool. I will be interested to hear his reasons why.” Gerrard

http://www.liverpool...-pascoe-9418405

I love Stevie but I don't think he should be saying anything here. He's only just hung up his Liverpool boots and I think he is better off staying out of this one.

As for Hyypia, obviously a great defender - one of the very best of the Premier League era, and a strong candidate for best business done, when factoring in price and impact made, by any team. However... he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since he departed, so I would have a slight question mark if he were to come in and coach. If it has been decided that Rodgers needs help with the coaching, then experience is needed. The likes of Ayesteran, someone with a track record. Then in addition to this, we need a better CEO than Ayre. He came in and did well on the commercial side, but then I thought his remit widened beyond his skill set - he lacks gravitas in the wider footballing world, and there are big question marks over his ability to get deals done for players.

It's hard to know what to make of everything at the moment. I don't think the owners are playing games, as if they want to clear the decks and go again they would have no qualms about sacking whoever they feel is necessary.

Maybe they really do believe Brendan has something to bring, and he could have a very bright future at Liverpool, but he needs some help to get there. His own hubris has perhaps blinded him to that, but on the back of a chastening season perhaps the owners are making him see sense.

Then again, there remains the nagging suspicion that this is a bit of a drawn out sacking. It's hard to know what to think.

Would love Sami back at the club but as some have said, there's no room for sentiment here, he hasn't done anything in the game and we've got plenty of those at the club already. 

I still think it's lunacy that we've fallen so far now that we're having threads about which first team coach we can get to try and pull our arse out of the fire. It's a joke.