You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

None of that matters. What matters is you conducting the same in-depth analysis on the actual things that he does as manager, and whether those things are likely to produce a consistently successful side. Start with the following:

1. Team formation

2. Player selection

3. Player positions

4. In-game substitutions

5. In-game formation changes

6. Transfer targets

7. Player motivation

Make nice lists showing how he is good at all those things despite the weight of evidence so far, and maybe we can talk.

I think you need a timeout young man.

• Upvote 1

Second place is for wimps and big girls blouses .there is only room for winners with big balls at my club. Overflowing trophy cabinets and women with wet knickers looking at big thighed moustachioed Scotsmen. Foreign managers fawning over methods at Melwood and Bobby Charlton saying how great we are on MOTD. Open bus parades and pissed up singalongs, looting Europe annually of it's trophies, trainers and polo shirts. Winning is sexy. 2nd is for losers.

where did we finish in 2003/4 season????  who won the champs league in 2004/2005 season?????   says it all.. 

where did we finish in 2003/4 season????  who won the champs league in 2004/2005 season?????   says it all..

Err that was a decade ago. How many times have we finished outside the top four in the last few years and had no chance to go for CL glory. Where did we finish last year ? Who got out of our CL group again ?

I hope this might help, but it's seldom that you see a bad manager finish 2nd in the league.

Over the last 10 season or so, these are the managers who finished second in the PL, and the points they got.

14/15 - Pellegrini (79 points)

13/14 - Rodgers (84 points)

12/13 - Mancini (78 points)

11/13 - Ferguson (89 points)

10/11 - Ancelotti (71 points)

09/10 - Ferguson (85 points)

08/09 - Benitez (86 points)

07/08 - Mourinho/Grant (85 points)

06/07 - Mourinho (83 points)

05/06 - Ferguson (83 points)

04/05 - Wenger (83 points)

So Rodgers' haul last season was better than 6 other second place finishes in the last 11 years.

Look at the state of Wenger. Our manager has finished 2nd as many times as he has in the last 11 years.

I wouldn't put it all down to one man, but it's seldom we see a player like Suarez gracing these shores.

I think it's become clear that Luis was at least as equally responsible as Rodgers was for 2013-14.

Fucking Rodgers, passing the fucking buck again. What a cunt. Fucking FSG not doing anything and then doing something and it being Rodgers fault. I hate them all.

etc

I for one am delighted that the robust end of season review has seemingly discovered the culprits for last season's risible performance and moved swiftly to remove them from our great club.  It must have been hellish for Brendan to be surrounded by such incompetence and be expected to bear the criticism from the fans for the fruits of their worthless labours.

Now that we've established that the assistant manager, first team coach and possibly the chief executive were in fact responsible, we've obviously done the right thing in getting rid of them whilst retaining the services of the manager; after all it's not as if he should be expected to bear any more responsibility for the performance of the first team than the people we've dismissed.

I hate them all too.

No, I'm not being entirely serious here.

• Upvote 7

I wouldn't put it all down to one man, but it's seldom we see a player like Suarez gracing these shores.

I think it's become clear that Luis was at least as equally responsible as Rodgers was for 2013-14.

Wasn't Luis also around for two and a half seasons before he decided to singlehandedly almost win us the title?

Wasn't Luis also around for two and a half seasons before he decided to singlehandedly almost win us the title?

Have you responded to the wrong post? As the one you quoted clearly states it wasn't singlehandedly down to Suarez.

He may also have saved Enrique's job. He was on the sack watch list until Suarez found his form. No way they win the treble without him.
  • Upvote 1

OK, I withdraw singlehandedly, but what I meant is Luis is always used to knock people who try to give Rodgers credit for 2013/14, as if he was not here before, especially under Kenny, which people conveniently forget when talking about how Dalglish was sacked despite winning one cup and reaching the final of another.

• Upvote 1

OK, I withdraw singlehandedly, but what I meant is Luis is always used to knock people who try to give Rodgers credit for 2013/14, as if he was not here before, especially under Kenny, which people conveniently forget when talking about how Dalglish was sacked despite winning one cup and reaching the final of another.

Not me.

As well as the manager several other players had a big hand in our brilliance last year too. But in terms of inspiration, perspiration and point winning, I believe Luis had as big a hand as the manager, if not more so.

I for one am delighted that the robust end of season review has seemingly discovered the culprits for last season's risible performance and moved swiftly to remove them from our great club.  It must have been hellish for Brendan to be surrounded by such incompetence and be expected to bear the criticism from the fans for the fruits of their worthless labours.

Now that we've established that the assistant manager, first team coach and possibly the chief executive were in fact responsible, we've obviously done the right thing in getting rid of them whilst retaining the services of the manager; after all it's not as if he should be expected to bear any more responsibility for the performance of the first team than the people we've dismissed.

I hate them all too.

No, I'm not being entirely serious here.

Marsh and Pascoe did whatever Rodgers told them to in terms of coaching and they were very much his appointments. It's a bit ridiculous that they go and he stays but whoever replaces them needs to have the credibility to challenge Rodgers.

Rodgers deserves credit for 2013/14, no-one is claiming otherwise. Luis was the biggest factor though, in addition to a lot of other 'stars aligning'.

Do you think we'd finish 2nd last season with Luis still in the team?

Ian Ayre will be Rodgers new assistant alongside his other duties of selling donuts, low balling bids for good players and giving players piggy backs for a laugh.

Ayre being sacked rumours are gathering a bit of traction. One can only hope.

Please. Be. True.

Please.

I just think if it does happen they are hoping Rodgers goes of his own accord rather than pay him off. Quite the game of brinkmanship this and its telling that there's not been a peep out of Brendan since the end of the season.

If Ayre is off then Shirley it would be a DoF put in place. 

And Rodgers put in his, seemingly.

Maybe they'd appoint a DoF and ask him to pick the new coaching staff, just for a laugh.

If they recorded the moment Brendan was told, it would certainly beat Being Liverpool for must-see television.

Rodgers deserves credit for 2013/14, no-one is claiming otherwise. Luis was the biggest factor though, in addition to a lot of other 'stars aligning'.

I think Luis leaving was the single biggest contributing factor to our terrible season, with him in the team it would have been easier for Rodgers to come up with a new system (which was already needed towards the end of the 13/14) I don't think he would have lost his way so spectacularly until eventually the players lost faith he knew what he was doing. As soon as Lous fell and unfortunatelly hit his teeth on Chielini's shoulder I knew we were fucked, though not yet how comprehensively.

Yes, we may have finished 2nd, but I don't think we would be in a title race at any point.

And it's not exactly true that "no one is claiming otherwise", it is actually this incredible unwillingness to give the man any credit for 13/14 by a large group of posters whilst criticizing (rightfully so) last season which has been doing my head in over the past month or so.

That's not true. Many people claim otherwise

• Upvote 1

Brendan is hardly like Ringo, sticks in hand, wondering where the other three have gone.

He has pointed his stick - very much in the manner of Harry Potter - at Curly, Larry and Moe and they've been turned to dust. All that's left is a trackie, a pair of oversized shorts and what looks like the remains of a Harley-Davidson twin cam engine. 

Do you think we would have finished second this season?

We may of course have won the title, but that's not what I'm asking.

Yes, before the United game it looked as we may even challenge City, with Luis in the team we would have been in a better position at that time, and quite possibly finished 2nd, as I said I don't think we would have challenged for the title.