You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

I think gerrards earned the right to speak his mind, youve no right to tell him shit mate, youll never do more for lfc than him.

1. Agreed - of course Gerrard has earned the right to speak.

2. Disagree - I haven't told Stevie anything, shit or otherwise. I gave my view on this football forum. Thousands do it daily. I don't think my comment was even remotely controversial. To expand: I think Stevie could have been cuter in his comments. They probably reveal some distance between himself and the Liverpool manager. It's fine if that's how it is, but to make it public does not reflect very well on Stevie or the club, in my view. If Stevie wants to know Brendan's reasons for letting Marsh and Pacoe go, then rather than ask his question publicly, and put it in the domain of the press who love little morsels like this - why couldn't he phone Marsh or Pascoe himself? I'm sure he has their number. And if they are on some sort of non disclosure thing, could he not phone Brendan to ask him? Or Ayre? I think Stevie's comment lacked a little savvy, that's all. Doesn't mean I don't love the bones of the fella for all he's done for LFC.

3. Agreed - of course I will never do more for LFC than Stevie. Nobody on this forum will. Does that mean we can't talk about Stevie? We are fans and we talk about all things related to the club, even though none of us will ever cross that white line and do something that is actually meaningful for LFC.

• Upvote 3

You could also compare Markovic to Ibe and ask the same questions.

£65m + agents fees + wages for 3 players who haven't improved us. Easy to say after the event of course but there has to be a path to the first team for the promising young players otherwise it's pointless having any at all.

Theres a pretty cogent argument that says we could have spent nothing at all last summer and actually not been any worse off than what we actually got.

• Upvote 1

Come on. You actually believe that to be true?

It's true if he gets rid of Skrtel as well, which seems likely if they are arseing him about over a new deal.  Who else is a leader in this squad? Milner? he's an auxiliary player, Lallana? a luxury player thats more interested in coiffing his hair than getting into position to receive a pass. Toure? well past it and more of a lovable character than a leader on the field certainly nowadays. Lucas? he couldn't lead himself across the road.

They are the experienced players in this squad, Brendan's done an excellent job of getting rid of Reina, Agger, Gerrard and the archetypal leader for us last season Suarez. 

• Upvote 1

Theres a pretty cogent argument that says we could have spent nothing at all last summer and actually not been any worse off than what we actually got.

I know, it's so frustrating! We went for a deeper squad but didn't really improve the first eleven (with the departure of Suarez and Surridge's injuries, the first eleven got much worse). As for the squad, the players we brought in flattered to deceive, and a case could be made that we could have used kids, younger players or loanees to equal or better the contribution made by expensive acquisitions.

How I wish we could wind the clock back and spend that money again!

Fast forward to today, and while we want the club to spend big, especially on a striker, it could be argued that the business we've done so far is petty wise. Mind you, it could also be argued that we are in some sort of limbo - between backing and sacking the manager; and perhaps also between investing in an asset and selling it.

I know, it's so frustrating! We went for a deeper squad but didn't really improve the first eleven (with the departure of Suarez and Surridge's injuries, the first eleven got much worse). As for the squad, the players we brought in flattered to deceive, and a case could be made that we could have used kids, younger players or loanees to equal or better the contribution made by expensive acquisitions.

How I wish we could wind the clock back and spend that money again!

Fast forward to today, and while we want the club to spend big, especially on a striker, it could be argued that the business we've done so far is petty wise. Mind you, it could also be argued that we are in some sort of limbo - between backing and sacking the manager; and perhaps also between investing in an asset and selling it.

My concern is that we won't bring in a top class striker, simply because they will look at it as having Origi, Ings and Sturridge plus probably one of the turds that is Balotelli, Lambert and Borini will prove unflushable so that is 4 and I just can't see us going into season with 5...

Ings and Milner as signings are alright, Milner I have a feeling might turn out to be a clever buy, he adds a bit of nous we haven't got and he isn't a kid, a shithouse or 8 stone wet thorough like so many of our buys in recent times.

Bogdan I'm not arsed about as hopefully he won't play but knowing our luck Mig will catch a cross in training land and does his cruciate.

We need pretty major surgery on our squad though a pile of shite to bin bag for starters and then bringing in some quality to replace the mediocre quantity we seem to have favoured of late.

You're saying all of this with the benefit of hindsight. Obviously we didn't know Lovren would be shite or we wouldn't have spent £20m on him. We did, however, know that Coates was shite, so why keep him? Lovren was signed to improve the team, not just add depth to the squad, but sometimes signings don't work out. I can't imagine Man United envisioned Di Maria being kept out of the side by Ashley Young when they agreed to pay £60m for him, either.

It's interesting to hear you of all people advocate that approach, though. The downside to it is that injuries can hit you far harder, yet you have given Rodgers absolutely no leeway whatsoever for the downturn in form that occurred this season as a result of an injury to our only top class striker. It's okay saying "we don't need squad players, just spend all the money on a world class first teamer" but if that player breaks his leg and results are poor with his shit replacement, you'll be first in line calling for the manager's head.

Also, we were in the market for Sanchez and he simply preferred Arsenal, so it's not as if the money spent on Lovren and Lallana left us without funds to sign a top class forward.

Sturridge was never going to stay fit though was he? He's a crock and it was insane to bank our season on him. That's why we had buy a top forward last summer. I've said many times one thing i'll give Rodgers leeway for is we'd signed Sanchez rather than Balotelli we'd have been okay.

Not being funny but I was saying a year ago that Sakho was better than Lovren and Coutinho was better than Lallana so why are we spending all this money on them? Wasn't that hard to see that they weren't going to improve the team. Gave Rodgers the benefit of the doubt that he had some elaborate plan that would make it work, but he never. Lovren was going to be the leader and Lallana was another "Borini's going to excite the fans" type signing. It was all bollocks.

I just wanted us to improve the team. The 13/14 team just needed a DM adding to it and a full back. Obviously Suarez going meant we needed star quality to replace him and then the Balotelli shambles happened which appears to be more on the committee.

Lallana as a squad player for £15m would make a bit of sense. £25m as our main target was fucking ridiculous. You should be getting better footballers for that price. Certainly one that will improve the team, if he's your most expensive signing for years.

• Upvote 3

Not being funny but I was saying a year ago that Sakho was better than Lovren and Coutinho was better than Lallana so why are we spending all this money on them? Wasn't that hard to see that they weren't going to improve the team. Gave Rodgers the benefit of the doubt that he had some elaborate plan that would make it work, but he never. Lovren was going to be the leader and Lallana was another "Borini's going to excite the fans" type signing. It was all bollocks.

I just wanted us to improve the team. The 13/14 team just needed a DM adding to it and a full back. Obviously Suarez going meant we needed star quality to replace him and then the Balotelli shambles happened which appears to be more on the committee.

Lallana as a squad player for £15m would make a bit of sense. £25m as our main target was fucking ridiculous. You should be getting better footballers for that price. Certainly one that will improve the team, if he's your most expensive signing for years.

Don't forget spending an additional 20 on a carbon copy of him in Markovic, 45m which is a lot of money on two players we simply can't fit into our starting line up who do the same thing not especially well either whilst we have holes elsewhere.

Whoever is ultimately responsible for that kind of shite should be sacked, shot in the bollocks and deported to fucking Iraq.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget spending an additional 20 on a carbon copy of him in Markovic, 45m which is a lot of money on two players we simply can't fit into our starting line up who do the same thing not especially well either whilst we have holes elsewhere.

Whoever is ultimately responsible for that kind of shite should be sacked, shot in the bollocks and deported to fucking Iraq.

Not forgetting that we were obviously so well off up front that we could spend £10m on a striker and let him spend the season elsewhere.

Lallana is a slightly better player than Suso. Not £25m better, obviously. I'd be extremely surprised if Suso at 27 wasn't an immeasurably better footballer than Lallana is now.

Lallana will either be back up to Coutinho or he'll be played out wide, where he's largely ineffective. He might be first choice season after next when Coutinho is sold. Surely you don't think Lallana would be picked ahead of Coutinho, that would be utterly mental. 

I think Lallana provides better chances for the team than Coutinho at the moment.  If that changes, then Coutinho should be preferred ahead of Lallana.  While it isn't the case, I'm very happy to see Lallana in the team.  It's about the team, see.

Slightly better? Why do you think he cost £25m in the first place? He was arguably Southampton's best player, named in the PFA team of the year and an England international. Suso can't get a game for the 10th best team in Italy, having been unable to impress successive managers here who saw him every day in training. 

Suso is what he is.  It's like arguing if we'd have kept Mellor he would have been the new Ian Rush.

Suso is what he is.  It's like arguing if we'd have kept Mellor he would have been the new Ian Rush.

He only needed to back up Coutinho so we could save 25 million pound where it was more needed. He's good to bring off the bench as well and is very talented.

I think Lallana is a good player and a good signing. The problems have been; obviously paying way over the odds for him(but that is the current Liverpool Way!) His injury record is giving Sturridge a run for his money, but most significantly we have a manager that has no clue where to play him as he keeps playing with no fuckin strikers. This despite Lallana being an excellent provider and scorer for his striking partners.

In the cold light of day and now that the dust has settled,playing Lambert with Lallana,when fit,couldnt have been much worse than how things turned out anyway.

Lallana "liverpool have sacked two great coaches" here's the interview if anyone can be arsed,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11673241/Adam-Lallana-tells-Liverpool-board-You-have-sacked-two-great-coaches.html

It's like when a new manager comes in and doesn't fancy you?

Er, no Adam. There was nobody new coming in. It was more like that bit in the Dark Knight where the Joker breaks the pool cue and invites Gamble's men to try-outs. Except on this occasion Gordon tied Pascoe's and Marsh's hands behind their backs and handed the broken cue directly to Rodgers....

• Upvote 2

I think Lallana provides better chances for the team than Coutinho at the moment.  If that changes, then Coutinho should be preferred ahead of Lallana.  While it isn't the case, I'm very happy to see Lallana in the team.  It's about the team, see.

I just don't even.

• Upvote 4

“I am always looking to improve,” Lallana says. “It’s been different for me this season even going to Liverpool. It’s a bigger team, bigger expectations, and it kind of makes you realise what it must be like playing for (Manchester) United, Chelsea, week-in, week-out.”

I know imagine the pressure at clubs where they actually have ambition

“I am always looking to improve,” Lallana says. “It’s been different for me this season even going to Liverpool. It’s a bigger team, bigger expectations, and it kind of makes you realise what it must be like playing for (Manchester) United, Chelsea, week-in, week-out.”

I know imagine the pressure at clubs where they actually have ambition

I can see those comments going down as well as Ms Lewinsky in the Oval Orifice,I mean Office.