You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner; £165,000 P/W

Most, but not all City fans will miss him.

He's played a lot this season, and hardly been a benchwarmer... but the feeling is a) he wants to play in CM and b) he may be aware of other players we're looking at and sees himself being sidelined.

He's not as 'dire' as many opposition fans make out - his workrate is excellent, and actually quite a decent player too.

Putting a brave face on it, City fans have said 'he's not getting any younger and we've had the best out of him' - which is true, but that doesn't mean to say there's nothing left in the tank.

If he arrives at Liverpool, he'll improve the team, but he's only one of the many improvements needed. He's not going to turn your world upside down, but he can help that to happen with some better players along side him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The thing is all of our greatest sides have been built on a foundation of grit and determination, Milner brings that and will hopefully inspire some of the other players to up their game. Obviously we need a flashy striker, someone who can bang in 20 goals a season, but signing a good hardworking pro like Milner can never be a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

What's this obsession with backing the signing of an English player by saying "If his name was [insert foreign-sounding bastardization of player's name], everyone would be over the moon..."?

Lazer Markovic

Dejan Lovren

Mario Balotelli

Fabio Borini

Oussama Assaidi

Iago Aspas

Luis Alberto

...sure we would.

How our standards have lowered, someone being a breath of fresh air for trying!

Did you see a great deal of our football this season ?? looking like they're trying would be a massive step in the right direction for most of the squad.

I also said he gives 100% every game, not that he tries, there's a bit of a difference.

• Upvote 1

He's not going to turn your world upside down, but he can help that to happen with some better players along side him.

Well, this sums up pretty much our entire squad. Not bad, but is more of a supporting player that allows the stars to shine.

The trouble with buying all of the somewhat boring, kind of there, do a job players first is that without the stars, you can't help but look around and wonder when you turned into Aston Villa. And all the stars look on and wonder why they would want to play for the new Aston Villa......

Fanchester giving us the rundown of their cast offs is becoming depressingly familiar. Baloteli and Toure beforehand. 

Maybe I'm a moaning bastard but I grew up with some of the best players in the world in red shirts, and I mean long - long after we last won our last premiership trophy. I'm absolutely sick of this shit. 

• Upvote 2

Fanchester giving us the rundown of their cast offs is becoming depressingly familiar. Baloteli and Toure beforehand.

Maybe I'm a moaning bastard but I grew up with some of the best players in the world in red shirts, and I mean long - long after we last won our last premiership trophy. I'm absolutely sick of this shit.

Hate to do this to you but we ve never won the premiership.

He's gonna be a breath of fresh air, a player that looks like he always gives 100%, regardless of how much he is benched, and used sparingly, fucking rare, can't wait till he signs.

I hope his attitude rubs off on those around him. Obviously Suarez is on a different planet talent wise but we also missed his attitude and work ethic which got other players working.

Every player we sign this summer should have that  hunger as first priority. Too many games this season we were passing it around the middle with no urgency whatsoever, even when behind

win the ball give it to coutinho.

He's not a ball winner or a positionally sound DM. Nor is he a good passer. Fernandinho is a miles better box to box player and ball winner and Yaya is far better on the ball and passing. Gareth Barry was a much better CM than Milner and was trusted there by City.

Milner's a good wide player who'll run the channels, work hard and produce bits of quality here and there. A Dirk Kuyt basically, though he's a bit better technically (and less likely to pop up with huge goals).

• Upvote 2

£165k a week for a rich man's Henderson. Fucking hell. Let's see how brilliant he is without Silva, Aguero and Toure attracting all the defenders.

I know England is no barometer but his performances in an England shirt are more representative of the player he is. He's basically a workhorse for England.

In a way I think he looks better for City because they're quite a lazy team. The likes of Toure and Nasri tend to do minimal work off the ball so Milner is noticed more. His quality on the ball is nowhere near 100k a week even though he's not a bad footballer. People saying "if he was foreign and he had a fancy name" if he was foreign he wouldn't be demanding well over 100k a week off top clubs in the Premier League. Just another English player able to coin it in off his nationality because of homegrown rules. That's why City need him.

• Upvote 1