You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner; £165,000 P/W

Milner is a good signing. No issue at all with this. Getting him on a free and he is at his peak.

Instantly the most physical player in our midfield and works like a dog.

I don't know if anyone noticed but we have been wimping out of games. Milner won't do that.

oh, and he turned down more money to play for us. Exactly the type of character you want. 

• Upvote 8

Wrong.

We are signing a player who cannot get into the first team of one of our supposed rivals.

Oh,and he's English so is obviously significantly overrated because of this.

He was in the starting lineup for virtually every big game they played all season, including home and away against Barcelona, Bayern, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, and they're offering him a £165k a week, 4 year contract to try and keep him. He's an important member of their squad who they'll be sad to see go.

• Upvote 1

Those wages could easily go to any other better talented player that can fill in the same position. 

who? examples?

Who would agree to give up Champions League football, 165.000 easily earned British Pounds PER WEEK, warming Manchester City's bench and collecting medals, to come to a former top club, trading endlessly its history, being nowhere near Top 4 and managed by Rodgie and Pascal?

Welcome to Liverpool F.C. Milner. I love you.

Make him a captain, or at least vice captain along Henderson.

• Upvote 2

Milner is a good signing. No issue at all with this. Getting him on a free and he is at his peak.

Instantly the most physical player in our midfield and works like a dog.

I don't know if anyone noticed but we have been wimping out of games. Milner won't do that.

oh, and he turned down more money to play for us. Exactly the type of character you want. 

Yep. A strong case could be made that he'll automatically be our best midfielder when he signs.

He should also free up Henderson somewhat - he was at his best when Gerrard was excelling in a deep role last year.

Fuck the wages off, it's all bullshit, but Milner is a top level player.

I think he's a great replacement for Gerrard in terms of having a top level pro in the dressing room. He's won titles, he's been recognised as a favourite of top level managers like Pellegrini and Capello, and we now know of Wenger's interest in him. That's an impressive fan club.

But another huge benefit to signing Milner is that he takes care of himself physically. He's the sort of pro that rubs off on others on the training ground, he leads by example, he's a prolific athlete and apparently has never touched alcohol. His injury record is basically non-existent, he's always there, always ready-to-go, always the fittest player at the club.

If a fraction of his personality and style rubs off on Can, Rossiter, Chirivella, Williams, Brannagan then it's money well-spent, whatever we're going to pay him in wages.

• Upvote 1

Fuck the wages off, it's all bullshit, but Milner is a top level player.

I think he's a great replacement for Gerrard in terms of having a top level pro in the dressing room. He's won titles, he's been recognised as a favourite of top level managers like Pellegrini and Capello, and we now know of Wenger's interest in him. That's an impressive fan club.

But another huge benefit to signing Milner is that he takes care of himself physically. He's the sort of pro that rubs off on others on the training ground, he leads by example, he's a prolific athlete and apparently has never touched alcohol. His injury record is basically non-existent, he's always there, always ready-to-go, always the fittest player at the club.

If a fraction of his personality and style rubs off on Can, Rossiter, Chirivella, Williams, Brannagan then it's money well-spent, whatever we're going to pay him in wages.

I hope he rubs off on some of the younger players, and soon they will be up and coming.

• Upvote 2

Above average - tick

English - tick

Versatile - tick

Overpaid - tick

Not what the first team needs - tick

He'll fit in just fine.  File alongside Lallana, Downing etc.

I read we are giving him £150k a week.  We are offering him £50k more than we did to Sterling.  No wonder Sterling is miffed.

Milner is a good player.  He'll boost the squad.  But don't expect fireworks!

I think Milner would be stark raving mad to sign for this current Liverpool set up.

Whatever the money.

However much game time in his favoured spot.

Completely mental to be even contemplating it.

boycott liverpool?

this is a new approach

I like him, an honest and talented footballer and just the kind of personality we need in the dressing room. Not expecting miracles from him, just that he does what he does.

Seems like he's been around forever, doesn't it?

• Upvote 1

We need to sign players that'll immediately strengthen our first team.

Milner does this, and we only have to pay wages. Would rather give the money to the player than his club to strengthen their squad.

He doesn't do tricks and his name doesn't end in esma. But he can tackle, pass, score, run all day, and puts in a shift every time he's on the pitch.

A team of Milners would beat a team of Sterlings every day of the week.

• Upvote 2

He's gonna be a breath of fresh air, a player that looks like he always gives 100%

How our standards have lowered, someone being a breath of fresh air for trying!

• Upvote 1