You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner; £165,000 P/W

Not a terrible player, not a great one.

Good enough for our bench - the problem is that the reason he's meant to have joined us over City is that he's been guaranteed to be first choice.  Which means we're probably going into next season with Henderson, Milner, Allen, and Can as our CMs.  I think that would be about the seventh-best midfield in the league.

Also, this is not going to really help our negotiations with Sterling.  Before, we could say "Listen, Stevie is on 120k/week, you're definitely nowhere near as important to Liverpool as Steven Gerrard.  100k/week is a fair offer, with incentives on top of that."  

Now, it's going to be "What's that?  You want the same wage as James Milner?  Hm, that actually sounds like a pretty reasonable request for one of the brightest talents in Europe."

Here we go again. Overpaying for a moderate player who might barely improve the team assuming they play as well as they have in their prior team, championed on here by some as "underrated" and someone who will "contribute."

Flash forward to next season and he is just another mediocre journeyman who struggles to make an impact in a squad full of mediocre journeymen.

Pretty sure I know how this thread will go.

Some will react with despair, others will call them fannies and welcome him to Liverpool.

Then he'll turn out to be shite. He'll be horribly exposed in a big game and everyone will start doing their nut. We've seen it all before.

The whole situation's unreal. It's like one of those sci fi stories where the Germans won the war or something. As though a time traveller went back and killed Bill Shankly when he was 15 and we've turned into a mid table nothing club absolutely awash with mediocrity from top to bottom.

All of this has happened before.

These transfer thread always go the same way, they're kind of quaint in a sense. They usually start with a player being mooted, reaction is often negative if they're British and the money involved is stupid (a la Crouch and more recently Carroll), then as pages drift by and it looks like we're going to get the player whether we like it or not, we almost start talking ourselves around to the idea.

A 'no way' becomes 'he's not that bad' until eventually he's a signing of potential huge significance and maybe, just maybe, all this time we just weren't aware of just how boss he really was. At this point we usually slag of Rashid or Red Nick for not wanting said player and decide that this is becuase they're somehow shallow and that their understanding of the game only extends to Pannini stickers.

What tends to happen then is that said player - who we always knew was overpriced and limited - turns out to be overpriced and limited. It's usually exposed in a big match and we're left feeling blue. We've come full circle, it's time for a cull, no more half measures, we all hate football, and all the while we lament the fact the mancs have just spent £6m on a 17-year-old Guatemalan shitbag who's tearing up more wings than that monster from the William Shatner episode of The Twilight Zone.

We quite simply need to start aiming higher. We need either top class players for top dollar, or exciting prospects. Lads who can 'do a job' can not have a place in our football vocabulary anymore or, quite simply, we don't deserve to even be called top four.

And all of this will happen again.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6bOy3RNyWME

• Upvote 2

I can't see FSG paying the wages.

He is a fine player, with a proven PL pedigree, who has won things, a model pro who does not get injured, not a bad combination for us at the moment. He wouldn't make THE difference to our team ( who would?)but he would be a significant up grade for the squad.

• Upvote 1

My biggest concern isn't his quality, he looked better at Villa in a squad full of British shite than he did at City surrounded by stars so he should fit in nicely here. It's the fact that we all know that before the ink has even dried on his contract he'll begin a lengthy process of being perpetually injured.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He'll be horribly exposed in a big game and everyone will start doing their nut. We've seen it all before.

That's the thing, he's not like that. He's solid and dependable.

Milner is a far better player than most give him credit for. I've seen him pick that City team up several times when things are going wrong including against us at Anfield in the 3-2 game when he was brilliant after coming on. We lack leaders and I think he is one.

Unless we sign someone else who fits that profile I'd go as far as to say I'd make him captain.

• Upvote 3

Milner is a far better player than most give him credit for. I've seen him pick that City team up several times when things are going wrong including against us at Anfield in the 3-2 game when he was brilliant after coming on. We lack leaders and I think he is one.Unless we sign someone else who fits that profile I'd go as far as to say I'd make him captain.

Make him manager while your at it.

• Downvote 2

We've signed a player on a free transfer who's in the prime of his career from a top 4 club. And this is a player that City didn't want to let go, which tells you everything about him.

And people are moaning. Dear god.

Anyways, carry on...

Wrong.

We are signing a player who cannot get into the first team of one of our supposed rivals.

Oh,and he's English so is obviously significantly overrated because of this.

Wrong.

We are signing a player who cannot get into the first team of one of our supposed rivals.

Oh,and he's English so is obviously significantly overrated because of this.

If Rodgers sees him as an improvement on what we already have then I am all for it. Problem is if you take it at face value then it really is underwhelming and does not necessary solve any issues with the first team. Wasn't Allen suppose to fill in the position that Milner plays? 

The only way I can see Milner playing is in a CM position, most likely in front of the back four. If that is the case then I can see a formation where we play 2 CMs and 3 attacking midfield in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

I hope we dont buy him to play him on the wing in a 4-3-3 formation as we need pace and trickery up there.