You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner; £165,000 P/W

I thought he was technically a lot better than he has shown.

I think he's trying a bit too hard to prove his worth so has been overrunning things, getting caught out of position and rushing on the ball.

Unfortunately the best part of his game is football intelligence and spotting simple but effective passes so he's looking pretty shit now those have gone.  If he calms down a bit and focuses on his normal game he'll be better.

• Upvote 1

Not the same player who completely changed the complexion of the game coming on when we were beating the crap out of city. I think he's basically a decent player made shite by Rodgers like everything else he touched.

Majority of his time at City was more like Saturdays game. Works hard, good technically but doesnt have that extra dimension to play in an attacking position at a bigger club.

You can't fault the lad for putting the mileage in but for what we're allegedly paying him I think we're entitled to expect quite a bit more. I thought he had a very poor day on Saturday (it happens) but his first touch, specifically, had all the deftness of what you might expect from Long John Silver after a particularly hard night on the rum. He's no Dirk Kuyt.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

At first I was pleased we were signing him, then I thought he was a bit agricultural and too similar to our other midfielders who can't pass a ball or do a tackle. But he's got bottle, and he works his arse off. I'm really warming to him. He's come up with some big moments for us, especially that pen last night.

• Upvote 1

He is a victim to Rodgers obsession with having a midfield of Joe Allens. In isolation he's a very handy player but the fact him, Henderson, Allen and Lucas offer varying limited degrees of penetration (matron!) from midfield means he doesn't really stand out that much.

Allen and Lucas are the only 'different' types of midfielder we have

• Upvote 1

Cant say I was impressed at us signing him. I think Ive posted in this thread about when we sold them mcmahon after he'd past his sell by date with us. Milner coming to us was just the reverse and signalled how far we'd fallen.

He does take a mean pen though.

• 1 month later...