You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner; £165,000 P/W

8 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

You can't run a club like that, he's not exactly going to be broke if he has to leave on a free transfer. 

Loyalty cuts both ways. With the way Klopp is i doubt he'd have any issue with Milner getting paid to pick splinters out his arse for a season. He's more than earned it.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to be contrarian, but I would not have done this. 50/50 on whether I'd have given him another year, definitely wouldn't have done two years, but it's not a big deal.

I imagine the contract will have a pretty low base salary with bonuses for appearances, and he keeps himself in excellent shape so his decline will be slower than most players at his age.

My objections boil down to 2 things:

1. The minutes he gets, even if they're not very many, will prevent younger players from being developed and could even lead to some of them leaving us, and 

2. I worry that him being here will make us complacent about getting in proper fullback cover.

Both of these are debatable, and it could be argued that as long as Klopp and Edwards are still pursuing a couple of options that could give us 80 or 90% of what Trent and Robbo do down the flanks, we're fine. But imagine being Curtis Jones today - he will have thought he had a chance of being 6th or 7th choice in midfield next season, and maybe higher up the pecking order the season after if he performs well. Now he'll know it will be a few minutes in the Carabao Cup at best. Same goes for our young fullbacks, who might have thought that they'd be considered to be 3rd choice at LB or RB next season - now it'll be Milner on emergency duty there.

I think we'll lose a couple of them, and while that might not be a huge loss, it's not a net positive either. So again, I'm not saying it's a disaster of a move, just that there are a couple of downsides that mean I wouldn't have done it, personally. But Edwards has obviously more than earned our trust here, so it will probably not really have a big negative effect on us moving forwards.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't want to be contrarian, but I would not have done this. 50/50 on whether I'd have given him another year, definitely wouldn't have done two years, but it's not a big deal.

I imagine the contract will have a pretty low base salary with bonuses for appearances, and he keeps himself in excellent shape so his decline will be slower than most players at his age.

1. The minutes he gets, even if they're not very many, will prevent younger players from being developed and could even lead to some of them leaving us, and 

2. I worry that him being here will make us complacent about getting in proper fullback cover.

Both of these are debatable, and it could be argued that as long as Klopp and Edwards are still pursuing a couple of options that could give us 80 or 90% of what Trent and Robbo do down the flanks, we're fine. But imagine being Curtis Jones today - he will have thought he had a chance of being 6th or 7th choice in midfield next season, and maybe higher up the pecking order the season after if he performs well. Now he'll know it will be a few minutes in the Carabao Cup at best. Same goes for our young fullbacks, who might have thought that they'd be considered to be 3rd choice at LB or RB next season - now it'll be Milner on emergency duty there.

I think we'll lose a couple of them, and while that might not be a huge loss, it's not a net positive either. So again, I'm not saying it's a disaster of a move, just that there are a couple of downsides that mean I wouldn't have done it, personally. But Edwards has obviously more than earned our trust here, so it will probably not really have a big negative effect on us moving forwards.

I get where you’re coming from on this but with a view to stopping development of Jones and others, he’s 19. 

Without Milner around his minutes would be too fleeting to really help his development.

his next step is a high level loan deal. Get out and get playing. Like Wilson, Kent, and mount and Abrahams.

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

If we lose young players, it's not because they don't see a way in. It's because they are not consistent or good enough to make their way into the squad. Trent I believe was 19 when he became a squad player rotating I think with Clyne. If they're good enough, they will get in - no matter who they are in the team with.

Man City last season with Vincent Kompany last year were 15 points better than Man City without him this season. Setting standards and enforcing them for your colleagues is the part of the game we never see and don't notice until its gone. Im delighted Jimmy has signed up even though I think he looks close to done at this level.

• Upvote 6

Great news for the team and absolutely fully deserved for big game James. He is worth everything he gets paid. His contribution and influence both on and off the pitch is immeasurable. His superb attitude and constant hard work pushing himself to the limit is perfect for the young players coming through. He is a brilliant role model and I can easily see why Klopp would have wanted to sign him up for as long as possible. Players like Milner are rare and we are very lucky to have someone with his experience, coolness under pressure, and winning and fighting mentality, which I have no doubt helps the whole team to be the mentality monsters they are.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, No2 said:

Man City last season with Vincent Kompany last year were 15 points better than Man City without him this season. Setting standards and enforcing them for your colleagues is the part of the game we never see and don't notice until its gone. Im delighted Jimmy has signed up even though I think he looks close to done at this level.

95B7A6AE-DB84-40F1-8E4E-D318EC40CC1E.gif

15 hours ago, The Guest said:

Klopp knows best.  He’s versatile and as fit as any of the team.  Knows the midfield position that plenty have struggled with.  He’s also clearly massive behind the scenes.  No brainer extension.

This. The fittest and most professional player at the club. With a true winners mentality. More creative than he’d given credit for, he is involved in a fair amount of goals compared to number of minutes on the field.

Also can play anywhere in midfield and both full back positions if needed. I was also thinking a couple of days ago that if Gomez or Van Dijk gets injured or needs a rest the upcoming weeks, I would prefer Milner at CB ahead of Henderson and possibly Wijnaldum too. And definately ahead of kids like Hoever and Van den Berg.

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. The fittest and most professional player at the club. With a true winners mentality. More creative than he’d given credit for, he is involved in a fair amount of goals compared to number of minutes on the field.

Also can play anywhere in midfield and both full back positions if needed. I was also thinking a couple of days ago that if Gomez or Van Dijk gets injured or needs a rest the upcoming weeks, I would prefer Milner at CB ahead of Henderson and possibly Wijnaldum too. And definately ahead of kids like Hoever and Van den Berg.

Spot on.  That pass he played down the left wing for Mane to score a while back was wanking material.  Played with his weaker foot too, only equalled for me recently by Mane's own pass for Big Div against the Blooshite recently.  Absolutely exquisite.  There aren't that many players could have played that pass with their weaker foot, not to that level of sheer perfection.

2 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree, and look at how many times he's been brought on late in games to calm things down. Not to mention his balls of steel taking that 95th min penalty against Leicester after a long wait.