You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holiday recommendations

JohnnyH

Right folks. I need your recommendations for our holiday in August.

Me and the wife want somewhere with a beach, nice restaurants, obviously good weather, and no young groups of English twats throwing shapes and acting the gobshite. Quiet enough but with nice places for a beer. If there weren't loads of Irish or English bars that'd be an excellent start.

We did Los Cristionas in Tenerfie after we'd spent a fortune on the Bali trip and so wanted something inexpensive, but the last time we went there were loads of scummy English couples who'd moved down from Las Americas, so not there.

Skiathos. I was one of those people who would never go to the same place twice, until I tried Skiathos. Been five out of the last six years, but this year have booked to go to Crete for a change and all I keep thinking is "why did I do that?"

Good recommendations so far.

However, Greece is a bit of an issue as my wife's maid of honour is a Greek girl who wants us to go on holidays there with her and her husband. We've decided against it this year, so if we went by ourselves it may cause issues.

Adriatic coast of Italy. If you like a beach holiday, good restaurants, no English or Irish... Try "gabbicce mare". Cattollica is beside it and a little more lively. Both areAbout 30 mins down from Rimini.

Both are full of Italians, Germans and The odd Swiss. We have gone twice and have seen very very few Irish / UK and those there were married with kids / anti larger lout types.

It is a family resort... But ticks the boxes you have outlined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Good recommendations so far.

However, Greece is a bit of an issue as my wife's maid of honour is a Greek girl who wants us to go on holidays there with her and her husband. We've decided against it this year, so if we went by ourselves it may cause issues.

Keep your Greek powder dry until next time then and insist on Skiathos.

• Upvote 1

South Dalmation Coast in Croatia, anywhere south of Split - the Brits don't seem to have discovered it yet. It's like Italy but less than half the price. Plus the olive oil and seafood is actually better

We're doing ten days in a fishing village with a lovely beach just outside of Dubrovnik in late August this year. Also the islands are nice if you just want to relax - Mljet is excellent as is Korcula.

You do need to hire a car for this part of the world though, often just to get to the local shops. But it also gives you the freedom to explore (get one with satnav)

Anyone been to Paphos in Cyprus?

Went there as a nipper mate and have great memoriesof it. Just back from protoras, which is the other side of the island, and it was class. Great food, not expensive, awesome beaches, loads affordable stuff to do and the locals are proper friendly.

Going to do an adult paphos holiday on the back of it now.

Went there as a nipper mate and have great memoriesof it. Just back from protoras, which is the other side of the island, and it was class. Great food, not expensive, awesome beaches, loads affordable stuff to do and the locals are proper friendly.

Going to do an adult paphos holiday on the back of it now.

How do you compare the two, Paphos and Protaras? What are the main differences?

I have been to Protaras twice recently, both in and out of season, and while I have enjoyed it both times (the beach is gorgeous) and would go back, I don't think it's what JohnnyH is after this time round by the sound of it, ie full of English people (but mainly families) and lots of Anglo-Irish bars.

Croatia is sound. I've been all over the former Yugoslavia, if you want some more interesting off the beat inland locations I can help with that too.

My tip would be Split, Korcula, Hvar or Brac for a first timer. Dubrovnik is lovely and worth a visit but over priced and touristy, but it should be done once.

We usually travel independent, little off peak (late June or early sept) and book places as we go.

There's loads of independent accommodation on line in the region, trains are a bit shit but reliable where they do run. Coaches and Ferries pretty sound.

Montenegro is sound too, but avoid Budva or the immediate towns.

• Upvote 1