You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Klopp deserve a shot at the Liverpool job?

ratcatcher

Serious discussion point.

He's clearly won a couple of titles and cup. He's an engaging and passionate personality. But he also couldnt arrest a very poor season in the Bundesliga and lost the German Cup final to first time winners Wolfsburg.

So, should his past record speak louder than his last season? Or, should we heed how his last season turned out?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Mostly from the next manager I want a man who identifies his players strengths and plays them in a position that gets the most out of those strengths. When you look at players like can and sahin or defenders that are constantly exposed and uncomfortable repeatedly exposed to the same conditions that make them that way I'd take a practical manager rather than one who is treating football with far more complexity than it deserves. I've no clue who I would appoint but with the current manager and the players we are rumored to be buying it doesn't feel like next season would be one to look forward too. Things really do feel bleak at the club if FSG have any wits about them they would show positive action and make wholesale changes at the club.

Klopp would bring an element of excitement and positivity for next season but I've no clue if he's one of the answers to our problems. Given a choice I'd probably take ancelotti. I think Brendan will keep his job though and he will have to win fans back on to his side. I think he'd struggle.

It's an interesting one, a large part of me feels that he's just gone a bit stale this season, and just needs a new challenge to get him going again.

But!!! There's that niggling feeling that maybe he's not all that!

I'd go for him, but only if there is absolutely no chance we can get Ancelloti!

Klopp lost his best players to Bayern and had a disaster of a season and flirted with relegation

Rodgers lost his best players to Barca and injury and still managed 6th place

If Klopp keeps Lewandowski he keeps his job at Dortmund and they have a good season

If Rodgers keeps Sturridge fit he finishes in top 4 and keeps his job

Neither Klopp or Rodgers are or will be responsible for transfers at Anfield. FSG and their transfer commitee make the decisions

Both have proved this season that any team is only as good as their strikers, both have played players out of position, tried different tactics and made mistakes out of desperation because once a team stops scoring goals everything else falls apart.

Klopp has more experience than Rodgers but would he be able to transfer it over to another club and country.

If Rodgers doesnt get off to a good start next season the pressure will be immense

I would still take Klopp because he would be a better fit with our club and fans

• Upvote 8

It's an interesting one, a large part of me feels that he's just gone a bit stale this season, and just needs a new challenge to get him going again.

But!!! There's that niggling feeling that maybe he's not all that!

I'd go for him, but only if there is absolutely no chance we can get Ancelloti!

That's where I am.  Managers often reach their 'sell by' date at a club.  I don't believe we should be looking for a manager who is going to stay for 10 years.  We should be looking for one that can quickly transform the side into one that can challenge for honours.  The alternative, hanging on to a fatally compromised Rodgers, would show weakness and confirm everybody's suspicions about FSG.  

• Upvote 3

Klopp did a brilliant job at Dortmund but lost his way this season as he'd taken them as far as he could. Once Bayern started taking their best players and became unstoppable in Germany, what more could he have done there? Reaching a CL final off the back of back-to-back league titles and a domestic double was a peak Dortmund could never live up to. They spend less money than Wolfsburg and clubs like Leverkusen and Schalke match them financially. They're light years behind Bayern.

Dortmund lost their key player in Lewandowski, the focal point of their attack and their Suarez in effect. What they didn't have was £120m to spend on players to improve the team or even half of that. Like Liverpool they made a pigs of replacing him with a second rate Italian in Immobile but Dortmund's wage bill is nowhere near even ours to be able to compete in the market. It was less than QPR's when they were in the CL final.

When things went to pot for Mourinho in his last season in Madrid (when you've got Ronaldo scoring 60 goals a season you'll win most games but he lost the plot big time) it didn't stop him getting the Chelsea job and winning them the league.

My only concern with Klopp is whether he needs a break after the season he's had because he's a very intense and workaholic manager which is what we need. Guardiola needed a year off after Barca. I think Dortmund was the right club for him and Liverpool might be, but we've been set back so far in the last 12 months the job could be a tall order for anyone.

Mostly from the next manager I want a man who identifies his players strengths and plays them in a position that gets the most out of those strengths. When you look at players like can and sahin or defenders that are constantly exposed and uncomfortable repeatedly exposed to the same conditions that make them that way I'd take a practical manager rather than one who is treating football with far more complexity than it deserves. I've no clue who I would appoint but with the current manager and the players we are rumored to be buying it doesn't feel like next season would be one to look forward too. Things really do feel bleak at the club if FSG have any wits about them they would show positive action and make wholesale changes at the club.

Klopp would bring an element of excitement and positivity for next season but I've no clue if he's one of the answers to our problems. Given a choice I'd probably take ancelotti. I think Brendan will keep his job though and he will have to win fans back on to his side. I think he'd struggle.

There was nothing complex about BRs handling of Sahin, he was shite as those with good memories will remember and BR was moving him around to try and find a position where he would perform, half way through the season it was clear he couldn't handle the prem and was moved on.

Is there any indication from a reliable source that Klopp would come ? Secondly not one word from the owners on the situation would indicate they are quietly planning their next move or paralysed by indecision . I strongly suspect it's the latter . If their track record on signing strikers holds good for managers I expect Moyes to arrive the day before the season starts .

Joking aside I have zero faith in FSG to sort this out and fear the worst. A lame duck Rodgers stumbling on regardless . If they go for and get Klopp I'll be truly shocked

Is there any indication from a reliable source that Klopp would come ? Secondly not one word from the owners on the situation would indicate they are quietly planning their next move or paralysed by indecision . I strongly suspect it's the latter . If their track record on signing strikers holds good for managers I expect Moyes to arrive the day before the season starts .

Joking aside I have zero faith in FSG to sort this out and fear the worst. A lame duck Rodgers stumbling on regardless . If they go for and get Klopp I'll be truly shocked

Unless we spoke personally with him, I very much doubt we'd ever be able to say is there a reliable source to confirm he would come here.

I like Klopp. He's what you want in a manager (or at least what i do). He shows his passion. When he wins, he punches the air like a fan and doesnt just sit their impassionate.

When he has the players, he certainly can get them playing for 'him' and no doubt the shirt. For whatever reason, its gone stale at dortie for him. It happens to all managers. Maybe the secret is to replace players over a rolling 5 year period before they go stale on the manager.

I'd love to see Klopp here out of all the possible names being bandied about even, above those who may have won more or seem more on an upward trajectory.

But, as ive said, Im never going to call for Rodgers sacking. If the club sack him or he realises he cannot take the club forward, fair enough, I think we should be in for Klopp.

I dont see it happening that way though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What a terrible way to introduce a discussion on such an important topic.

"Does he deserve a shot at the Liverpool job?". We would not make "a donation to the Klopp charity" or a favour to him.

It would be an honest and ambitious move towards the right direction, the appointment of a World Class manager who has the know how of winning trophies, who has mastered the art of nurturing young players and who has won against most World Class managers (e.g. Mourinho).

We can't continue with Rodgers and the terrible committee. My choices for a replacement would be ( a) Simeone. ( b)Klopp, or ( c) Ancelotti. Considering Simeone is not available I would like to see Klopp or Ancelotti.

Klopp did a brilliant job at Dortmund but lost his way this season as he'd taken them as far as he could. Once Bayern started taking their best players and became unstoppable in Germany, what more could he have done there? Reaching a CL final off the back of back-to-back league titles and a domestic double was a peak Dortmund could never live up to. They spend less money than Wolfsburg and clubs like Leverkusen and Schalke match them financially. They're light years behind Bayern.

Dortmund lost their key player in Lewandowski, the focal point of their attack and their Suarez in effect. What they didn't have was £120m to spend on players to improve the team or even half of that. Like Liverpool they made a pigs of replacing him with a second rate Italian in Immobile but Dortmund's wage bill is nowhere near even ours to be able to compete in the market. It was less than QPR's when they were in the CL final.

When things went to pot for Mourinho in his last season in Madrid (when you've got Ronaldo scoring 60 goals a season you'll win most games but he lost the plot big time) it didn't stop him getting the Chelsea job and winning them the league.

My only concern with Klopp is whether he needs a break after the season he's had because he's a very intense and workaholic manager which is what we need. Guardiola needed a year off after Barca. I think Dortmund was the right club for him and Liverpool might be, but we've been set back so far in the last 12 months the job could be a tall order for anyone.

So in short all the excuses that apply to Klopp don't apply to Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

So in short all the excuses that apply to Klopp don't apply to Rodgers. 

It is hard to apply any excuses to Rodgers after three trophyless seasons, without even reaching a final and after the transfer catastrophe.

It is easier to make excuses to a manager like Klopp who has won trophies, reached the CL final and nurtured some of the finest players in Europe. 

Apples and oranges. The point is the rot in our club, not what someone did in another club. Ancellotti had one of the most expensively assembled sides in football and this year won nothing. But he has won something before, same with Klopp.

Rodgers took 7 points from the last 9 games when we were ostensibly fighting for something, the last CL spot. He failed in everything this season. Time to move on.

Klopp will definitely fire things up. The melancholy around the club is not going to disappear with Rdogers around. He had his chance.

It is easier to make excuses to a manager like Klopp who has won trophies, reached the CL final and nurtured some of the finest players in Europe. 

Suarez is on the of the best in the world but Rodgers doesn't get any credit.  

The double standards are laughable.

If we do get Klopp he'd better be good.  If he doesn't get us top 4 in his first season I'm going full Code on everyone who suggested hiring him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If we do get Klopp he'd better be good. If he doesn't get us top 4 in his first season I'm going full Code on everyone who suggested hiring him.

Hang on, you're not Code?

Going by you're posting style, I'd always assumed you were.

• Upvote 1

If we do get Klopp he'd better be good.  If he doesn't get us top 4 in his first season I'm going full Code on everyone who suggested hiring him.  

You are a hyprocrite with double standards too though.

You were willing to give Rodgers THREE trophyless seasons on the basis of nothing and yet you expect Top 4 finish from Klopp in his first season.

I am willing to give three seasons to Klopp, because he is a proven winner.

P.S. Rodgers doesn't get any credit for Suarez because he did not sign him or nurture him. He coached him at the age of 25. Instead he has invested heavily on an army of young players from Ilory to Alberto et al some of whom are not even training with us.

You are a hyprocrite with double standards too though.

You were willing to give Rodgers THREE trophyless seasons on the basis of nothing and yet you expect Top 4 finish from Klopp in his first season.

I am willing to give three seasons to Klopp, because he is a proven winner.

P.S. Rodgers doesn't get any credit for Suarez because he did not sign him or nurture him. He coached him at the age of 25. Instead he has invested heavily on an army of young players from Ilory to Alberto et al some of whom are not even training with us.

I wasn't willing to give Rodgers anything, I never wanted him here in the first place.  Now that he is here he's surpassed my expectations so deserves a bit of time to put things right.

Yes, I knew there would be an endless list of reasons why Rodgers wouldn't get credit for Suarez in your double world, you don't have to spell everything out.

I hope you get your three seasons of Klopp and he's fucking shit. You deserve it.   

• Upvote 1

I, instead, hope that Klopp is appointed asap and that he makes us competitive again and he makes you eat your shit, because you deserve it. 

That's right. Rodgers never signed Suarez and he coached Suarez at the age of 25 for two seasons.