You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

After a 25 year wait.

ratcatcher

Because the threads arent contrasting them with us. Obviously.

They clearly are.  You have the Neville article which is solely devoted to contrasting Liverpool with Man Utd, and there's this one where the mancs are heavily referenced together with the whole 25/26 year thing.  

There are obvious similarities.  

* whispers *  Yes I have.  

If you're talking about Benitez, I haven't said much, because I don't find there's much I want to say, except to tell people to take their fawning over to the thread allocated for such bumfoolery.  

I HOPE HE GETS THE RM JOB AND I HOPE HE IS A HUGE SUCCESS!  There!  That loud enough?  

RM job    *snigger*

No, you haven't. You've just been chatting shit about how the last two games should decide Rodgers' fate.

No, you haven't. You've just been chatting shit about how the last two games should decide Rodgers' fate.

You're in a testy mood Captain.  Though with your customary accuracy, you've missed how I've been saying that Rodgers should be judged over the course of the season - and at the end of the season - but that the last 10, then 9, then 8... etc games could still influence the decision the club has to make.  That's because I always had the feeling that this collapse was very possible.  I didn't think it would be quite so spectacular though, and I certainly wasn't expecting the humiliation that we were subjected to on Sunday.  If I was chatting shit about it, it seems to have been bought into by just about everyone. 

Well, unless I'm mistaken, the papers have been full of speculation about his future.  That wasn't on the horizon before the United game, except with me and my ability to see how things could pan out.  

Sadly, when Hodgson joined, my foresight batteries had run out.  A temporary blip.       

Er those players tended to leave on Liverpool's terms. Prior to Keegan and up to El Sulk, which greats have left at the peak of their career for better thing?

Keegan did not leave on Liverpool's terms. 

We didn't want him to leave.

He was on the verge of becoming the undisputed best player in Europe, if you believe the two immediately subsequent Euro Footballer of the Year awards.

The difference is, we replaced him with Dalglish.

We had the confidence, determination, acumen and swagger to lose our best player, replace him, and become ever better. (Although, our '77 side was arguably our best ever)

Mind you, we did that from a platform of being League and European Champions.

Keegan did not leave on Liverpool's terms. 

We didn't want him to leave.

He was on the verge of becoming the undisputed best player in Europe, if you believe the two immediately subsequent Euro Footballer of the Year awards.

The difference is, we replaced him with Dalglish.

We had the confidence, determination, acumen and swagger to lose our best player, replace him, and become ever better. (Although, our '77 side was arguably our best ever)

Mind you, we did that from a platform of being League and European Champions.

Which is why I said 'tended to leave.'

Going back to this point, Gary Neville (who you said was right) was arguing exactly the same thing as Section was in that other thread you posted.  So was Gary Neville wrong about that part but the rest of the article was spot on?

Here's what Gary Neville said:-

Just look back over the past 10-15 years and count the number of players who have left Anfield to pursue bigger and better things elsewhere.

Steve McManaman, Michael Owen, Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres and Luis Suarez have all gone.

Do try and keep up.

I said 'he's right, isnt he?' That's a question, not a statement. But, I do think we tend to look backwards a little too much.

It's a brutal truth but we're a club obsessed with our history because we know we're never going to be consistently at that level again.  I went to the Istanbul reunion night on Monday and while I had a good time I couldn't help but think that was a different era to now and we need to leave it and move on.

We've traveled from being the top club in the 70s and 80s to at least aspiring to be a top club again for a couple of decades (without the nous to achieve it) to this sorry mess now when 4th place is something to be celebrated and all that matters about anything is its monetary value.  It's only 11 years since we sacked Houllier for finishing 4th and now it's seen as the target and an achievement better than winning trophies in the minds of many.  

I was 8 years old when we last won the league.  In my adult life I have only seen 5 seasons where we have won silverware and two of those were just the league cup.   We mock clubs like Chelsea for having no history but as classless and shadily funded as they are they're making their own history and have won as much in the last 10 years as we have in the last 30.  Still at least we can remind them that they were as irrelevant in my dad's youth as we we were in my grandad's younger days. That's what really matters.

Until recent years I always felt there was a possibility of us turning the tide again but as a club we're not even interested in doing that any more so there's absolutely no chance unless we miraculously gain an owner whose not in it for the money.  All I can see is a very bleak future ahead.

• Upvote 2

Indeed you did.

And I used it as a springboard to talk about our ability to replace departures in those days.

No probs, I just wanted to clarify because a couple of people are desparately trying to read hidden means.

You mean like with the Suarez/Evra incident?

Speaking of which, just WTF are you babbling on about now? If anyone appears to be obssessed with 'united' or manchester or that lot down the east lancs as I've called them previously, its you.

It's a brutal truth but we're a club obsessed with our history because we know we're never going to be consistently at that level again.  I went to the Istanbul reunion night on Monday and while I had a good time I couldn't help but think that was a different era to now and we need to leave it and move on.

We've traveled from being the top club in the 70s and 80s to at least aspiring to be a top club again for a couple of decades (without the nous to achieve it) to this sorry mess now when 4th place is something to be celebrated and all that matters about anything is its monetary value.  It's only 11 years since we sacked Houllier for finishing 4th and now it's seen as the target and an achievement better than winning trophies in the minds of many.  

I was 8 years old when we last won the league.  In my adult life I have only seen 5 seasons where we have won silverware and two of those were just the league cup.   We mock clubs like Chelsea for having no history but as classless and shadily funded as they are they're making their own history and have won as much in the last 10 years as we have in the last 30.  Still at least we can remind them that they were as irrelevant in my dad's youth as we we were in my grandad's younger days. That's what really matters.

Until recent years I always felt there was a possibility of us turning the tide again but as a club we're not even interested in doing that any more so there's absolutely no chance unless we miraculously gain an owner whose not in it for the money.  All I can see is a very bleak future ahead.

I still consider us a 'top' club or a 'big club' whatever people want to call it but, there's no doubt in my mind we're going backwards this year.

Some clown was trying to suggest Ive stopped backing the manager. How so? Of course Im gutted about the result on Sunday and the performances this season. The manager has to look at himself but I dont think he's the sole creator of the mess.

Owners, players, committees, scouts, manager all take the blame. That doesnt mean you stop supporting the manager. Some want him gone. But even if we got klopp they'd be whinging sooner or later.

I agree the future does look bleak.

We're still a massive club and I think very few genuinely do delude themselves that we're entitled to win the league or any other trophy.

Every manager we've fired in the last couple of decades have been fired for losing the plot, regardless of trophies won or finishing position. Finishing tenth with a developing team would be seen as preferable than finishing fifth with one that's several times shitter than the year before.

The problems are simple, we don't have anyone in charge who knows anything about being at a big club.

Owners who prefer baseball, a chief exec from Huddersfield and a manager from Swansea with a spine of players from Southampton.

There's no mystery to why our present trajectory is down, you could do that to any club and the results would be exactly the same.

We just need to reverse it, start with well established top football men at the helm.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of which, just WTF are you babbling on about now? If anyone appears to be obssessed with 'united' or manchester or that lot down the east lancs as I've called them previously, its you.

Haha.

I'm referring to the thread you started about Suarez/Evra, which you decided not to contribute to. Very odd behaviour.

Haha.

I'm referring to the thread you started about Suarez/Evra, which you decided not to contribute to. Very odd behaviour.

As I said, yet more evidence of your manc obssession.

My position on that is very clear. Suarez was fitted up \ dropped in it by the club's poor handling.

You seem to think one has to comment on a thread because you start it? Weird.