You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart Watch / Fitness Band

Brownie

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah I’ve got an iPhone, my phone contract is up for renewal at the beginning of June so I’m getting the 11 in a few weeks. It did seem a bit steep getting the 4G enabled one for not much more benefit but wondered if I was missing something. 

I’m in no rush to get one so might wait for the 6 myself. 

Yeah, it’s a very well rounded device now. By the 6th one, it’s going to be pretty much banging. That said, I’m worried the second I put it on it’s going to go absolutely fucking bananas at me. Warning lights flashing all over the place. 

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Have Apple stopped 'allegedly' slowing down their phones and watches?

Never slowed down their watches, as far as I know. They admitted to slowing down their phones once the battery started to degrade, and put that as an option rather than a... cough... feature. The shitheads. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, it’s a very well rounded device now. By the 6th one, it’s going to be pretty much banging. That said, I’m worried the second I put it on it’s going to go absolutely fucking bananas at me. Warning lights flashing all over the place. 

I’m pretty much clinically dead so I’m assuming mine will call a paramedic the second I put it on. 

Guest Pistonbroke
On 16/05/2020 at 14:10, Sugar Ape said:

Thinking of getting a smart watch for my birthday. Probably looking to spend £100-£200. Was looking at the newer Apple watches but not sure I can justify the price of them. 

What’s my best bet? Garmin? Fitbit? You can get an Apple series 3 watch for £195 but I think a more up to date one from another brand might be the best bet. 

I bought the Huawei GT 2 Smart watch and I'm more than happy with it. Only cost 179€. Obviously not as good as an Apple but I'd rather spend the extra cash in other areas and the GT 2 has everything I need in a smart watch and looks smart as fuck. 

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Do you have the 4G enabled one or just the standard one? It seems about £100 more for the 4G one plus you have to pay a monthly fee, is it worth it or just stick with the basic £399 one?

I didn't bother with the cellular one and I can't really see the need for it tbh. If i'm upstairs and my phone rings I can answer it on my watch and have a chat via it's speaker if I can't be arsed going to get my phone, or just do that until I get downstairs to my phone.

I can't see how I'd want to use it as an actual phone on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought Turdsette a cheap Huawei band as a little extra birthday present last week and our 12 year old was so jealous of it she decided she wanted to flog the Versa Lite she got given for her own birthday this year (joint present from in-laws & two aunties) and buy the same band as her little sister. 

My Father’s Day request was going to be for an everyday watch anyway so I’ve just decided to give my little girl the going rate for the second hand Fitbit, keep it for myself and order a couple of woven straps. A smart watch hadn’t even crossed my mind before but I factory reset it earlier, signed up and have been messing about with it for the last hour or so. Have to say I like it. I’ll have to buy a couple more different straps for different watch faces/occasions. 

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bought Turdsette a cheap Huawei band as a little extra birthday present last week and our 12 year old was so jealous of it she decided she wanted to flog the Versa Lite she got given for her own birthday this year (joint present from in-laws & two aunties) and buy the same band as her little sister. 

My Father’s Day request was going to be for an everyday watch anyway so I’ve just decided to give my little girl the going rate for the second hand Fitbit, keep it for myself and order a couple of woven straps. A smart watch hadn’t even crossed my mind before but I factory reset it earlier, signed up and have been messing about with it for the last hour or so. Have to say I like it. I’ll have to buy a couple more different straps for different watch faces/occasions. 

What's the Huawei one like for your daughter? Thinking of getting my daughter a smart watch for Christmas but don't want to pay too much nor buy something too cheap and shit.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

What's the Huawei one like for your daughter? Thinking of getting my daughter a smart watch for Christmas but don't want to pay too much nor buy something too cheap and shit.

It’s cheap and shit. She wanted a scooter so it was just one of her little extra presents on top. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Activities-Continuous-Tracking-Waterproof-Pink/dp/B07XTQR8TS

I thought it would be a good idea because she was jealous of her older sister’s Fitbit but kids are fickle beasts and apparently the ‘find my phone’ feature on the Huawei trumps all the superior features of the Fitbit. 

50 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t know if it’s shit, to be honest. It gets good reviews and I’ve got a 7 year old and a 12 year old that seem pretty happy with it. Obviously if it’s your girl’s main present you’ll want to spend a bit more on something better. 

I'm getting her a laptop as her main present. Just want something cheap and nasty to supplement it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Really enjoying the whole business of getting notifications on the watch. It’s even synced with LiveScore and the Smarkets betting exchange I use. Different straps depending on what t-shirt I’m wearing and changing the watch face to match also. 

I think I’m turning gay. 

Turning?

• 11 months later...