You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart Watch / Fitness Band

Brownie

• 9 months later...

So, they released the Series 4 of the Apple Watch. Man, I’m tempted. It looks as though it’s now a fully featured, ironed out product that’s worthy of calling itself a smart device. Bigger screens in roughly the same body size, EKG, all sorts of cool shit. 

Apple Watch is not just the most popular smart watch, but the most popular watch in the world. So it has a fuck load of accessories. 

Im sorely fuckin’ tempted. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thinking of getting a smart watch for my birthday. Probably looking to spend £100-£200. Was looking at the newer Apple watches but not sure I can justify the price of them. 

What’s my best bet? Garmin? Fitbit? You can get an Apple series 3 watch for £195 but I think a more up to date one from another brand might be the best bet. 

18 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Thinking of getting a smart watch for my birthday. Probably looking to spend £100-£200. Was looking at the newer Apple watches but not sure I can justify the price of them. 

What’s my best bet? Garmin? Fitbit? You can get an Apple series 3 watch for £195 but I think a more up to date one from another brand might be the best bet. 

It looks like the best Smart Watch at £200 is the Samsung Galaxy Watch...

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/samsung-galaxy-watch-review

The best at £100 looks like the Fitbit Versa Lite...

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/fitbit-versa-lite-review

I've had a Fitbit one and the Apple one is massively superior. A mate of mine, who was always pro-Android and a bit anti-Apple had the Samsung watch. He's recently switched to an iPhone and Apple Watch and he said the difference in quality and usability is massive.

There is the difference in price though as well as rightly pointed out.

I suppose it will depend on what you want to use it for. I use mine for a variety of things but it comes in handy especially with the built in GPS for fitness and also as a golf GPS when I play.

• Upvote 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/uk/amp/news/apple-watch-lookalike-oppo-watch-is-coming-to-europe-this-year

There's also a company called Oppo that make smart watches and they seem to have a little bit of an under the radar reputation. Unfortunately I think they are so under the radar that they may not even be officially available in the UK but apparently they are due to be made available in the UK later this year. 

Close to apple quality apparently...It was released in China March for the equivalent of £165.

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Mate, don't waste your money. Get a fucking Apple Watch 4 or 5, refurbed from apple if you have to. They're dramatically better and will last you ages. Pony up the extra cash if you possibly can, or wait. The new one coming out soon-ish will be next-level. It's a life saving device as well as a smart watch for fitness and all that. It's one of the few things you should just go full Apple for. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Mate, don't waste your money. Get a fucking Apple Watch 4 or 5, refurbed from apple if you have to. They're dramatically better and will last you ages. Pony up the extra cash if you possibly can, or wait. The new one coming out soon-ish will be next-level. It's a life saving device as well as a smart watch for fitness and all that. It's one of the few things you should just go full Apple for. 

Yeah after looking around for a bit I think il going to pay the extra and get the 5. Is the new one meant to be a lot better? When is it out and how much?

53 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah after looking around for a bit I think il going to pay the extra and get the 5. Is the new one meant to be a lot better? When is it out and how much?

Rumours are that it adds blood/oxygen measuring via a pulse oximeter and uses that to look after you. Also, mental health tracking capabilities. It'll probably be out in October/September. Not 100% obviously though.

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2020 at 19:48, Sugar Ape said:

Series 4 has been between £450 and up to at least £600. If I were you, I'd start saving. I would expect to pay between £500 and £700 for the next series.

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Series 4 has been between £450 and up to at least £600. If I were you, I'd start saving. I would expect to pay between £500 and £700 for the next series.

Nah, mate. It’s always the same price as the old one. It only goes up based on materials and face size. For the base aluminium it’s 399/429 depending on the size you want. That’s how much the new ones will be, too. Unless he wants some other material. Then there’s the Apple Refurb store. They refresh their stock every day, I think. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nah, mate. It’s always the same price as the old one. It only goes up based on materials and face size. For the base aluminium it’s 399/429 depending on the size you want. That’s how much the new ones will be, too. Unless he wants some other material. Then there’s the Apple Refurb store. They refresh their stock every day, I think. 

Do you have the 4G enabled one or just the standard one? It seems about £100 more for the 4G one plus you have to pay a monthly fee, is it worth it or just stick with the basic £399 one?

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

Do you have the 4G enabled one or just the standard one? It seems about £100 more for the 4G one plus you have to pay a monthly fee, is it worth it or just stick with the basic £399 one?

I'm waiting for the Series 6 to come out, mate. I don't see the need for the 4g one, it does it all through your phone (assuming you know you need an iphone)

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm waiting for the Series 6 to come out, mate. I don't see the need for the 4g one, it does it all through your phone (assuming you know you need an iphone)

Yeah I’ve got an iPhone, my phone contract is up for renewal at the beginning of June so I’m getting the 11 in a few weeks. It did seem a bit steep getting the 4G enabled one for not much more benefit but wondered if I was missing something. 

I’m in no rush to get one so might wait for the 6 myself.